Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New engine fitted and won’t start

Whitts

I have recently had a refurbished engine fitted to my 2007 IS220D after being told it would be cheaper than getting the head gasket repaired.

all is now fitted, all the dash lights act as they should do the only problem is the start/stop button (despite going green) is not starting the engine, there is no response from the engine whatsoever. 

Has anyone any ideas what the problem could be? 

Welcome to the forum.

Fitting a replacement engine sounds a bit extreme, do you mind if I ask what your options costed out at?

It doesn't sound like the starter is getting the start signal, so initially focus your attention there.

Did the engine ECU change with the engine?  Maybe the immobiliser is blocking your attempt to start.

Check that All Earthing straps are back in place and clean/secure. terminals of these straps can get contaminated with oily fingers on reinstallment and sometimes they (the earth connections) are not treated with the importance that they will serve.

paul m.

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

Welcome to the forum.

Fitting a replacement engine sounds a bit extreme, do you mind if I ask what your options costed out at?

It doesn't sound like the starter is getting the start signal, so initially focus your attention there.

Did the engine ECU change with the engine?  Maybe the immobiliser is blocking your attempt to start.

I was quoted £1500+ to have the head gasket done or £350 labor + the cost of a reconditioned engine. 

The mechanic that fit the engine has confirmed he’s had it running twice before the DPF and turbo were refitted. He was unable to refit these so I had it recovered and taken to a garage who fitted these for me. The new garage that fitted the DPF and turbo went to test everything at the end of the job to find the engine is not responding to the start stop button. 

why couldn't the mechanic fit the turbo and dpf ???

i think he may of knew there where issues with starting so gave the above reason

to get the car out of his garage, now you will have 2 garages passing the blame to the other.

good luck sorting the car out.

I replaced a whole refurbed head plus gaskets/timing belt/water pump on a hilux in the street outside the house in an afternoon and I'm a layman with a manual so theres something lacking in the two garages you used, did you keep the original engine, if so and now its out I suggest you buy a gasket and timing belt and do the job at home.

I cant see the ecu causing the problem as the only thing changed is the motor, check the engine number and try and find out if its an earlier model considering your parts couldn't be fitted theres something different preventing it firing, try resetting the ECU by removing the Battery connections for 5 minutes then try it, or bypass the starter solenoid with a live direct from the Battery just to see if the starter is OK, if that works get another starter solenoid as your is goosed, possibly the fuse for it needs checked first too.

I can't imagine anything as basic as the starter stumping the garages. I think the first garage suggesting you take the car to another garage is the clue here and that sounds bad.

It could be anything really. Starter, fuses, a sensor.. The transmission coupling to the engine might be giving a false gearbox stuck signal.

Ideally the first garage should take the car back and fix it (or try) and not relinquish their responsibility. I think pushing this is your best bet.

19 hours ago, 200h said:

why couldn't the mechanic fit the turbo and dpf ???

i think he may of knew there where issues with starting so gave the above reason

to get the car out of his garage, now you will have 2 garages passing the blame to the other.

good luck sorting the car out.

The first chap was a mobile mechanic and says the car needed a 2 post lift and a torch to cut off some rounded bolts. So I had it recovered to the garage they used a tour h to cut the bolts and fitted the dpf and turbo. Upon a test start up there was no engine start up (the mobile chap had had her start up twice before) I’m now waiting on the garages electrical guy to take a look on Monday (11th Feb)