Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear facing dash cam

Hi just wondering if anyone has a rear facing facing dash cam in their Rx and could share installation tips.

I have my old dash cam, but happy to buy new if this gives easier install.

Our is it best left to a professional?

2012 model if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren, I do have a rear facing dashcam that I found pretty easy to install. Rather than try to write down a description of how it was done I have taken some pics showing the routing for the wiring. The only slight problem was prising the plastic trim far enough to get the wires behind but with a bit of care it went ok. Just make sure that you leave enough spare cable to allow the tailgate to open.  Hope this helps. Bri

IMG_0888.png

IMG_0889.png

IMG_0890.png

IMG_0891.png

• Like 1

Decent job Brian but you should really find a better way of powering it because that plug could easily work its way out of contact or even drop out altogether as you go over bumps in the road and the car gets jostled about a bit.

Even something plugged into the socket at floor level in the storage area below the centre console in the front of ours has wiggled out a bit and lost contact with the socket centre pin and that socket isn't facing downwards like the one in the boot.

You may find that one day you need the footage from the camera but it hasn't been recording because the plug isn't making good contact and the camera has no power.

Thanks for that Herbs, I can assure you that the plug has not come out or even looked like it may be working loose in the 18 months of so that I have had it plugged in there. In fact it takes quite an effort to remove it! Also my dashcam has a nice red (when it's charging) and blue light when it's recording that I can see in the rear view mirror so should it ever fall out I would notice it not working.  Bri

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Brian, 

How did you fix the camera in place? I’ve been looking to do the same and it always comes down to the camera fixings. Most only ever supply a suction cup, which invariably release after a while.

cheers

Dave F (RX450H)

Have a look at this. I'm not sure if you can buy the rear cam on its own if you already have a front cam, but at this price it may even make sense to get these and put your existing one on eBay or something. 

This guy does hundreds or reviews of tech stuff and has done dozens of dash cams, so it should speak to how good they are that he's chosen these to keep and installed them in his own car. And no shonky suction cups either :laughing:

• Like 1

I have a BlackVue front/rear camera. Fitted it into my RX easily enough as the rear one is powered thru the connection to the front camera, only one cable. Fed this from the rear camera thru the flexible wiring tubes and tucked it in between the headcloth and side trims. Nothing to see except the cameras and a few inches of wiring at either end. Blackvue’s, pricy but good and has WiFi so they don’t need built in screens.

Hi Dave, It was certainly a bit of a problem initially. I finished up using some of that brown parcel tape that's about 2" wide. Another alternative is to use a bit of double sided sticky tape (that was going to be my fall back if the brown tape failed). So far I have only had the dashcam come off once, that was during the hot summer of last year whilst the car was parked at the airport. Initially I was a little concerned that I would potentially damage the heating element if I had to remove the tape but when I thought about it no end of dealerships place their stickers over the elements and they come off easily enough with just abit of care.

Hope this helps

Bri

• 2 years later...

I have this one 

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/nextbase-522gw-front-and-rear-dash-cam-bundle-450454.html

The rear one connects to the front one and the cable its long enough to run it trough the door seals and top of windscreen 

I can make some pictures on Monday 

9 hours ago, Stefan213 said:

I have this one 

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/nextbase-522gw-front-and-rear-dash-cam-bundle-450454.html

The rear one connects to the front one and the cable its long enough to run it trough the door seals and top of windscreen 

I can make some pictures on Monday 

I've got the same setup, very easy to DIY fit, the rear camera is very small and is stuck to the rear window with an adhesive pad, so wont fall off. I ran the cable behind all the boot trims and then along the door sill covers and up to the front camera concealing it behind the door seals.

• Like 1