Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, Im experiencing an occasional droning noise... probably wouldn't hear it if the car wasn't so quiet. I get a drone / hum when I get on the throttle gently, probably about 50 mph but at other speeds too, as if the gear ratio is too low and the engine is laboring causing something to vibrate. I had a similar thing in my Jag XF, turned out to be a known fault with the fuel pipes vibrating.Its a bit like harmonics, as if something is vibrating making the whole cabin hum. It not loud, its low and a passenger probably wouldn't hear it but now I have I cant help but hear it every drive!! Definitely related to the throttle, that is if I hear it and I keep this steady throttle opening it remains but if I increase or decrease the throttle it stops.. Driving me mad .....

You say it's throttle related yet mention a specific speed.

How much tread do your tyres have? The wifes car had a drone that sounded like a wheel bearing at certain speeds. It turned out to be a worn tyre that was still legal but getting low on tread.

For revs, have you checked for a loose exhaust heat shield?

Good luck tracking it down.

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

You say it's throttle related yet mention a specific speed.

How much tread do your tyres have? The wifes car had a drone that sounded like a wheel bearing at certain speeds. It turned out to be a worn tyre that was still legal but getting low on tread.

For revs, have you checked for a loose exhaust heat shield?

Good luck tracking it down.

A tyre would always be my first port of call with a droning sound, even when they look OK. For some reason the tyre drone often happens around 50mph. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GavJ said:

Hi, Im experiencing an occasional droning noise... probably wouldn't hear it if the car wasn't so quiet. I get a drone / hum when I get on the throttle gently, probably about 50 mph but at other speeds too, as if the gear ratio is too low and the engine is laboring causing something to vibrate. I had a similar thing in my Jag XF, turned out to be a known fault with the fuel pipes vibrating.Its a bit like harmonics, as if something is vibrating making the whole cabin hum. It not loud, its low and a passenger probably wouldn't hear it but now I have I cant help but hear it every drive!! Definitely related to the throttle, that is if I hear it and I keep this steady throttle opening it remains but if I increase or decrease the throttle it stops.. Driving me mad .....

I had this sort of noise on my RX. Dunlop tyres wear in a 'stepped' fashion and cause the noise even with 3 to 4mm of tread. I put my 2015 GS300h on Michelin Primacy 4's.Great tyres or if you want all seasons I recommend Michelin Cross Climates. Noise was just like a wheel bearing rumble and as you say around 50mph very noticeable 

thanks all, tyres look fine and noise only happens when on the throttle lightly... could be a loose shield or exhaust mount, havent been underneath and wont be until spring!

interested to find out more about the "  There is a TSB about, for GS 300h you need only a reprogramming " sounds similar to Jaguar where dealer denied all knowledge of it until I found the ref and sent it to them...

About TSB, we already talked here in LOC, it needs a reprogramming and it' s made ONLY on request by owner noticing the problem; I had it made on my previous GS 300h but unluckily having traded if for RX I have no more reference number of TSB, but it is simpler than in IS300h where there is also to change some mechanical pieces, while in GS is only software.

Check out this post which also includes the TSB details

Some have had a successful outcome  I had the active damper installed a couple of months ago, but not the software flash. Not convinced it fixed much. I’m having more success by simply not trying to listen out for it now TBH!

Thanks Pink, I've mailed my dealer and will await their response... just like another member in the post you linked... if this isn't cured it will be my first and last Lexus... I cant believe this is normal for a luxury car.

Hi Rado, hopefully they will find something on mine.... and it can be checked on yours... if need be I will get a loan of a ramp and get under mine to have a look... Just cant pinpoint whats causing it, could be a shaft / bearing issue, could be something vibrating at the same frequency as the engine (Harmonics) , could be the engine running rough!

Hopefully not just "how they are", if it ends up as that I will definitely not be impressed. This is my first petrol car for over 10 years, was looking forward to loosing the diesel vibes. My last two diesels were V6's so maybe I have been spoiled?

• 3 months later...

Just back from the dealers after a Major service, (£600) still no fix for the droning, pity, as I do like the car otherwise but I'm afraid that's me done with Lexus. Will start the hunt for it's replacement... the thought of talking to car salesmen again so soon fills me with dread 😒

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its signing off time for me, thanks guys for an informative forum and good tips.

I'm not having a go at Lexus, it was an excellent car in many ways, and my replacement isn't "better" or worse than the GS, just different. I am convinced that my GS was a poor example and not typical of the marque. I am the first to accept that I am a fussy bugger so no doubt I will have a few visits back to the dealer with the new one as well 😂

Front.JPG

• Like 1