Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Negotiating for a new ES

Mike246

Hi Habu, ask for Ian Mcculloch in Leeds Lexus sales.  Nice guy who gave me one of 3 PCP quotes.   He was the first guy to offer the 5 years free servicing as part of the package.

Got a good deal from my local Centre, Lexus Teesside so I’ll be ordering a deep blue / rich cream ES Takumi tomorrow for September.👍

Nice choice Habu,  driven a Takumi in sonic white owned by a forum member. Excellent build quality.

My ES was officially ordered on the 26th Feb for July delivery.   Black with Topaz interior and a premium pack.  £320 a month on a PCP for 42 months.  £5000 cash back. My  deposit  was £11,000 plus Lexus contribution of £2000.    The deal was as good as I was going to achieve and 5 years free servicing and a free protection pack just added to the overall deal.   I'm 115 miles away from the supplying dealer but I know them very well, they looked after my LS460 for 3 years after I bought it from them. 

Ordered this morning.  Showing as early July, currently.  I can see that date going back a bit.  I’ll get a Lexus dash cam fitted too.  Will need to order a 90 degree USB / Iphone cable so I can plug in the phone but close the cover.

Hi Habu would be interested to know where you can get the 90 degree USB connector as I thought the same,  poor design really that you can't close the lid where the USB connections are for i pods or phones etc.  Let me know if you find the connector.   

I considered the Lexus official Nextbase dash cam  but as it had no screen and you can only switch off the voice recording on each file by connecting the SD card to the software downloaded to your PC I went for front and rear separate Nextbase dash cameras  which I fitted in my GS.    Nextbase do a single front and rear camera model but the rear view camera looks through the car and then out through  the rear screen.   I wanted the rear camera to be on the rear screen  which of course meant running the very long cable supplied via the headlining  and over both doors tucking in the cable out of sight.  The ignition sourced cable feed  was taken from one of the fuse boxes and I used the  headlamp wash circuit.

SAM_0959.jpg

SAM_0960.jpg

Habu & SH20,

Hi. I picked up about your need for a 90 degree USB so that the compartment cover closes. It's not like Lexus to fall over on something as simple as this. No doubt they will come up with a specially moulded lead for the ES which will be competitively priced against their £300 boot liner.

The usual thing with these conflict issues is to use the standard lead with an angled adaptor. I don't know the orientation required but as an example, CPC do two USB A male/B female 90 degree adaptors - CS26194 (up) and CS26195 (down). They also do a range of USB/USB leads with angular connectors at one end but not for an Iphone.

My issue when my ES comes through will be connecting my dashcam and Talex to a 12-volt ignition-switched supply. I don't think they put cigar lighter sockets in cars any more!

10 minutes ago, Mike246 said:

Habu & SH20,

Hi. I picked up about your need for a 90 degree USB so that the compartment cover closes. It's not like Lexus to fall over on something as simple as this. No doubt they will come up with a specially moulded lead for the ES which will be competitively priced against their £300 boot liner.

The usual thing with these conflict issues is to use the standard lead with an angled adaptor. I don't know the orientation required but as an example, CPC do two USB A male/B female 90 degree adaptors - CS26194 (up) and CS26195 (down). They also do a range of USB/USB leads with angular connectors at one end but not for an iPhone.

My issue when my ES comes through will be connecting my dashcam and Talex to a 12-volt ignition-switched supply. I don't think they put cigar lighter sockets in cars any more!

Isn’t there one in the centre cubby?

15 minutes ago, Mike246 said:

Habu & SH20,

The usual thing with these conflict issues is to use the standard lead with an angled adaptor. I don't know the orientation required but as an example, CPC do two USB A male/B female 90 degree adaptors - CS26194 (up) and CS26195 (down). They also do a range of USB/USB leads with angular connectors at one end but not for an iPhone.

Our cousins across the pond have found this successful but I’d want it Iphone compatible.  I don’t know whether it is.  As Mike said I’ll be looking for an adapter rather than replacing my OEM apple cable.

https://m.newegg.com/global/uk-en/product/9SIA3ZH1DC9615

9EE27E4E-5238-4CD0-A29F-715F63584C16.jpeg

I found a right angle USB connection on e bay after Habu mentioned the issue about closing the console lid.  Bought it for £3.50 from gmd-tech-solutions. A seller with 100% feedback.  It was listed as a right hand cable and as I need it only for my nano i pod I'm sure it will allow the lid to close based on the picture Habu posted  on the left hand drive  US car.    No reason to suggest Lexus won't have a fuse box under the right hand side of the ES dashboard like this pic where I picked up the ignition controlled headlamp wash circuit.  

What is a Talex Mike?

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 16.43.34.png

SAM_0962.jpg

Steve,

Good for you finding that adaptor. I hope it's just the job.

Talex. It's a little unit on top of the dash and looks like a radar detector. It has a GPS built-in and shows digitally actual speed. It has mapping of road speed limits and camera locations so it bleeps if you exceeding the limit or about to get caught. It seems they have gone out of business so the maps are not up-to-date but does help keep me in check.

You will have noticed, I've put up a post inviting any members who have taken delivery of their ES to share their impressions. No takers yet.

Maybe you could ask the forum member VinnyB  Mike for his thoughts so far. He has an ES Takumi. I'm sure he would give a summary for us all.   Met him recently, nice guy. 

There is no USB in the centre console armrest.

Also any members who have ordered a new ES should be aware that Lexus UK replied to my enquiry as to why they will not be supplying a set of Manuals that we have all been used to over the years.   Everything is online now BUT a set of hard copy manuals can be ordered via your dealer free of charge if you request them before your vehicle is delivered to your dealer.   At least for those of us who want actual manuals  Lexus  will supply them.  

It is unimaginable that a car in this price range and so many settings comes without user manuals. I'm not impressed.

Given a 4-month lead time they should be supplying the manuals upon placing the order. I'll be having a word with my dealer.

1 hour ago, SH20 said:

There is no USB in the centre console armrest.

I know but Mike was asking about the accessory socket.  I thought I had seen one in the centre cubby.

Just on the USB issue: given there are 2 USB sockets in the rear, could a phone be plugged into here and control the infotainment screen?

1 hour ago, Mike246 said:

It is unimaginable that a car in this price range and so many settings comes without user manuals. I'm not impressed.

Given a 4-month lead time they should be supplying the manuals upon placing the order. I'll be having a word with my dealer.

Urm it's been like that for years with Lexus.

You have to ask for hard copy manuals but they're free

22 hours ago, Mike246 said:

Habu & SH20,

Not surprised Mike Lexus want £300 for a boot liner if they are asking £334.73 for the rubber floor mats.   Thus the Protection Pack at £400 which my dealer is standing makes for a fairer option given you get the mats, boot liner and the  stainless steel polished lip protector for the rear bumper.   Rubber mats at £334 how can Lexus justify it I wonder?

22 hours ago, SH20 said:

I found a right angle USB connection on e bay after Habu mentioned the issue about closing the console lid.  Bought it for £3.50 from gmd-tech-solutions. A seller with 100% feedback.  It was listed as a right hand cable and as I need it only for my nano i pod I'm sure it will allow the lid to close based on the picture Habu posted  on the left hand drive  US car. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 16.43.34.png

Be good to try this out at a Lexus centre on one of their ES models.  I’d be particularly interested in compatibility, particularly with Apple.

Don't bother with the 90 degree right hand bend USB cable.  Tried it in a ES today at a showroom and the lid still won't close. The USB port is too close to the lid so it's lid open if you are making use of an ipod or phone etc.   Still at £3.50 it might be useful elsewhere.  

Also had chance to look at the rubber floor mats and I see why they want £334 for a set.  They really are high quality and the driver's one in particular is a work of art.  It moulds itself to the floor obviously but goes up and over the foot rest, left of the brake pedal.  the raised edge too will assist in keeping water from lapping over on to your carpets. The fixings holding them down pass through reinforced corners  of the mats.  Makes sense to buy the protection pack at £400 which includes the boot liner and stainless trim for the rear bumper.   The Premium pack really makes a difference  to the interior and includes the  driver's seat extension adjustment which supports the back of the thigh very well. The leather in the Premium pack is just beautifully soft and the rear leg room is twice that of a GS.    Roll on July.

4 hours ago, SH20 said:

Don't bother with the 90 degree right hand bend USB cable.  Tried it in a ES today at a showroom and the lid still won't close. The USB port is too close to the lid so it's lid open if you are making use of an ipod or phone etc.   Still at £3.50 it might be useful elsewhere.  

Also had chance to look at the rubber floor mats and I see why they want £334 for a set.  They really are high quality and the driver's one in particular is a work of art.  It moulds itself to the floor obviously but goes up and over the foot rest, left of the brake pedal.  the raised edge too will assist in keeping water from lapping over on to your carpets. The fixings holding them down pass through reinforced corners  of the mats.  Makes sense to buy the protection pack at £400 which includes the boot liner and stainless trim for the rear bumper.   The Premium pack really makes a difference  to the interior and includes the  driver's seat extension adjustment which supports the back of the thigh very well. The leather in the Premium pack is just beautifully soft and the rear leg room is twice that of a GS.    Roll on July.

Thanks for the update on the USB.  Do you have a confirmed date in July for delivery?  My Centre said around July 23rd at the time of ordering but, no doubt, will change once the factory confirms the build date.

No date for me other than July.   The dealer I was in yesterday said there had been a significant underestimation by Lexus of how much interest there would be in the ES and that Lexus had increased their build quotas of the new UX.    This seems a bit strange as my understanding of ordering a car is that all Lexus orders are built  to order  so no stock pile of cars would ever exist.   Maybe if a manufacturer thinks there will be more orders for a specific model they pre order their parts requirements from their suppliers in such quantities that this would drive the anticipated demand.   

Looked again at the photo Habu supplied of the USA  picture of the USB, apparently called a Skim Link,  It does look very slim in terms of it sitting horizontally in the USB slot, almost like a tube design to keep the thickness or height of the main body to a minimum,  unlike the much square shaped end of the lead I bought.  Maybe the screen shot shows this better.    

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 10.15.33.png

Steve,

I too have a delivery month of July with no specific date. I wonder how Lexus are doing with advance orders for the ES given that it is a fabulous looking car with a 3 out of 5 rating from the motoring press. Certainly doesn't put me off!

Out of interest, which version and colour are you going for?

Regarding the USB socket, Lexus seem to have missed a trick with the design of the receptacle.

Mike, I’ve ordered a Deep Blue Takumi with rich cream interior.  I still need to look at the USB issue as my Iphone is always plugged in and the current arrangement will look a bit clumsy as well as not showing the nice wood.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, Habu said:

Ordered this morning.  Showing as early July, currently.  I can see that date going back a bit.  I’ll get a Lexus dash cam fitted too.  Will need to order a 90 degree USB / iPhone cable so I can plug in the phone but close the cover.

Is this not what you are looking for? (they come in different length...)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072KJXD8H/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1