Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Negotiating for a new ES

Mike246

Dan D's link is exactly the sort of usb cable we all seem to need but still the rounded tube like construction plus the square section (the black plastic)  still looks to deep for the usb port lid to close.   Maybe the original photo Habu posted  from the US was just showing a variation on the same theme as the amazon link DanD  posted today. 

Heard the expression "Can't see the wood for the trees"?   READ ON 

I was in my son's car the other day, a 2017 Toyota Auris hybrid  and noticed he uses his Iphone with an Auxiliary  USB connector into his 12v aux socket and controls all his stuff on his phone including his music through the car's media screen.  He uses the same adaptor to work his Tom Tom as well. 

The photo is an eBay equivalent version which I am going to get and then use it in the centre console 12v auxiliary port which the ES has.     This way the lid covering the two USB connectors in front of the gear selector can stay shut.   I intend to try this adaptor  at least as I only want to connect my i pod.  I may need  to select AUX  rather than i pod from the media screen but as long  as it plays and displays the info of track title etc and I can use the steering wheel controls to change tracks and volume etc  I'll be happy.  

Regarding my colour scheme Mike246, I chose solid black with Topaz interior.  I know, I know who wants solid black paint?.   You have to be really on top of your game to keep solid black paint looking good, the worst colour for showing swirl marks and fine scratches due to mainly lack of care when washing etc.   My background is Bodyshops and paint correction is something I understand, so solid black doesn't worry me and the overall look of Black and Tan is what I want.  Had Lexus offered a dark metallic green then I would have chosen that but Sunset Green is too pale for me.  Nothing to do with the £670 or £920  cost options for any of the other finishes.    

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 13.49.40.png

Yes, this would be great if you can control the phone on the cars infotainment screen via usb plugged into the 12v accessory port.  I’ve got one of the adapters so I’ll try it in my 2018 NX.

I have used one of these attachments but found the sound was not near as good as with a direct connection.

If you search for "right angle charging cable" or "90 degree charging cable", there are loads of options. You may find one that suits your needs better.

5 hours ago, DanD said:

I have used one of these attachments but found the sound was not near as good as with a direct connection.

If you search for "right angle charging cable" or "90 degree charging cable", there are loads of options. You may find one that suits your needs better.

Might have to try the rear USB ports in the ES to see if you can control the infotainment from the front.  My NX doesn’t have rear USB, only rear heat.  Might shout out to Vinny to check for us.

1 hour ago, SH20 said:

Habu you mentioned the usb cable from the US. Did you buy one and have chance to try it in a showroom car Yet?

Yes, bought one but waiting for delivery.  Coming from China so may be a week or two yet.  Don’t worry, as soon as it arrives I’ll be racing up to my nearest centre to try it out.  This forum will be the first to know the outcome.

Popped in my local dealership this weekend, in the hope to take a look at the ES. Both demos were out and none in the showroom. Apparently, they can't get them in quick enough and the cars are sold before they reach the dealership. Waiting list is currently 3-4 months.

My NX is going in for its first MOT on April 8th, and I have secured one of the two demos as courtesy car. Can't wait to try it out.

(They also had 3 UXs in their handover rooms, ready to go).

Dan,

Your post prompts a thought - I wonder how well the ES is selling and whether your dealer is giving you hype. Maybe you are dealing with Southampton or Guildford both of whom I have bought cars from and they are both first-class.

The ES has received moderate reviews from the motoring press and from one or two on this forum. It seems that the initial build for the UK has been for dealers showroom and demo and it was always intended that delivery of customers' cars would be July onwards with a quota for 2019 of 700.

From my point of view I back my own judgement and am part-exchanging my '14 GS250 for an ES which will be delivered in July.

After you have driven the ES in April, do come back and let us all know your thoughts.

2 hours ago, Mike246 said:

Dan,

Your post prompts a thought - I wonder how well the ES is selling and whether your dealer is giving you hype. Maybe you are dealing with Southampton or Guildford both of whom I have bought cars from and they are both first-class.

The ES has received moderate reviews from the motoring press and from one or two on this forum. It seems that the initial build for the UK has been for dealers showroom and demo and it was always intended that delivery of customers' cars would be July onwards with a quota for 2019 of 700.

From my point of view I back my own judgement and am part-exchanging my '14 GS250 for an ES which will be delivered in July.

After you have driven the ES in April, do come back and let us all know your thoughts.

I don't think the dealer is hyping it. I have bought three cars from them (Southampton) and I have a good relationship with them. They seemed genuinely ecstatic about the interest shown in the car... maybe because they were not expecting it, based on the reviews you mention. On the other hand, these reviews are consistent with regards to Lexus's quality and reliability, looks, comfort and low running costs (compared to the competition). To a lot of people, these are more important than outright performance on today's congested roads.

I will definitely let you know my views after April 8th, as I'll have the car for 24 hours and the opportunity to drive it on the M27/M3 and local country roads.

I would agree with Dan,  There is only one word that sums up Lexus and that is quality.   I was speaking  with my dealer recently, the day I signed up for my ES and noted that he said service work was a bit scarce at the moment and he can't remember  the last time the workshop carried out a warranty repair.   Reliability has become my most important reason for having Lexus number 3.     There is a Youtube channel called Hoovies, a lad in the US who often buys the cheapest versions of all sorts of cars and a lot of European  cars.  All of his BMW's  were pure money pits,  along with the Bentley's  and gave  up on putting them right as the faults were too numerous.

He bought a one owner 1993 Lexus ES300 for $200 with 135,000 miles and manual gearbox and had not been driven for  years as the owner was put in to a nursing home.  Apart from flat tyres this thing was blathered in bird muck but it started at the turn of the key and everything electrical worked.   Nothing made up in the video, no hype or careful editing.   After he cleaned it the car was transformed and he kept it.   $400 for 4 new tyres and the $200 it cost was all his outlay.   Watch it just for the fun of it.

The point is of course if that had been a 1993 BMW 5 series the dash board would have been lit up like a xmas tree with fault lights.    Lexus know they build cars that are superior  in every way  but will always battle with the badge snobbery of owning a German car that exists all around the world.   In 1997  I had a BMW 3 series from new for 3 years and it had 9 warranty claims.   I look forward to the day the keys of my ES are handed over and I travel the 115 miles back home. 

• Like 1

We’ll need an ES Yorkshire met up sometime post September.  Mine’s still due back end of July but I may wait until September.  I’ll ask the Centre, shortly, for a line off date.

1 hour ago, YYB129 said:

With a date of August proposed, I have delayed until September as well.

When did you order for a proposed August date?  I ordered 2 March and got a proposed ETA of 20 July.  Be interesting to see when other members ordered and what their ETA is.  We’ll be able to see if the lead times are consistent or getting better (or worse) with time.

Habu 

I am up for ES yorkshire meet let me know time and place 

I will have approx 15,000 on clock by then 😱

just a few niggles with my ES the rear camera never keeps clean which is a pain needs a shroud or something and the stainless boot protection plate is rusting already I am taking it back on monday to complain about the plate 

vinnyb

Vince, yes my camera on the NX is the same so I learn just to give it a wipe from time to time but my mileage is limited.  If I was driving big mileage it would niggle.  Re the boot plate it’ll get sorted.  Has it been badly scratched?

Such is my OCD  on trim items I have already drawn up a draft document which I will send a month before my car arrives at the dealer.    My car is Velvet Black, a solid black colour and I'm just worried the dealer will machine polish  the car in an effort to make it look shiny.   This would be the last thing I want them to do so I will be requesting no machine polishing after they wash it during prep.  Yes I could have picked another colour but I wanted Velvet  Black by choice.  I saw a showroom IS in solid  black and the showroom lighting showed a number of scratches in the paint that would not be visible outside in daylight.  It is a fact that the top lacquer coat on Japanese cars tends to be softer compared to Mercedes.    Self healing clear coats which Mercedes use is a step forward but day to day use of any car will always leave marks, swirls etc but I agree that some colours mask these problems better than others.  

Moreover the protection film on the 4 sill kick plates is to be left on for me to remove if I want to.   I've seen too many of my used car purchases  "prepared" by the dealer's valeting staff which has required a complete refurb of the paint.   I was surprised to hear that Vinny's boot lip protector is rusting, Rust and the word Lexus just doesn't compute for me.  The item in question is part of the protection pack I will get on my car so I will keep my eye on that going forward.  

I remember a team from Toyota   arrived back in the 80's and visited a bodyshop in Huddersfield who were Toyota dealers to physically examine a tailgate of a Corolla which was like a lace curtain with rust. They just couldn't believe our climate could rot out a panel after 3 years use.    

No not scratched just lots of rust spots all over it 

loving the rest of it though except the track pad which isnt good to use while on the move and using left hand lol 😂

1 hour ago, VinnyB said:

No not scratched just lots of rust spots all over it 

loving the rest of it though except the track pad which isnt good to use while on the move and using left hand lol 😂

I’m ok with the track pad, it’s the infotainment system that frustrates me at times.

Strange re the rust spots.  At least it’ll be swapped for new.

1 hour ago, SH20 said:

Such is my OCD  on trim items I have already drawn up a draft document which I will send a month before my car arrives at the dealer.    My car is Velvet Black, a solid black colour and I'm just worried the dealer will machine polish  the car in an effort to make it look shiny.   This would be the last thing I want them to do so I will be requesting no machine polishing after they wash it during prep.  Yes I could have picked another colour but I wanted Velvet  Black by choice.  I saw a showroom IS in solid  black and the showroom lighting showed a number of scratches in the paint that would not be visible outside in daylight.  It is a fact that the top lacquer coat on Japanese cars tends to be softer compared to Mercedes.    Self healing clear coats which Mercedes use is a step forward but day to day use of any car will always leave marks, swirls etc but I agree that some colours mask these problems better than others.  

Moreover the protection film on the 4 sill kick plates is to be left on for me to remove if I want to.   

I hear you on that sort of thing.  Some showroom cars look dreadful under the spot lights with swirls in the paint.  Certainly doesn’t leave the factory like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who is buying a new ES with a Premium Pack and a Protection Pack and needs reminding what it will look like should visit Autotrader and select Lexus ES.  Lexus Bristol have a Grey metallic ES with Premium Pack which has a Protection Pack too and they have taken plenty of photos showing all the details of the spec.   I note it has auto wipers so does this answer the query as to whether an ES has auto wipers?   or was someone asking a different question about the auto wiper mode.

It reminded me anyway of what I have ordered.    

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who ordered an ES in February if they have had a call from their dealer saying delivery will now be August 2019.

I received that call myself and as I have no way of knowing if my dealer has dropped the ball in some way regarding my order I would welcome anyone's comments if their anticipated delivery month has been extended.   I was told demand has caused this delay but who knows really.

39 minutes ago, SH20 said:

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who ordered an ES in February if they have had a call from their dealer saying delivery will now be August 2019.

I received that call myself and as I have no way of knowing if my dealer has dropped the ball in some way regarding my order I would welcome anyone's comments if their anticipated delivery month has been extended.   I was told demand has caused this delay but who knows really.

I haven’t heard yet from my dealer but I intend to contact him beginning of May when my order will have been in exactly two months.  If my order goes back to August (was 20 July at time of order) then it’ll cement picking car up beginning of September rather than late July.  I’m still toying with having a dash cam installed and maybe having the car’s frontal area wrapped.