Recommended Posts

Hi,

My Lexus GS 300 has its engine light stuck on. Was told it might be an issue with fuel I got from Morrisons supermarket. But 2 tanks later it is still on. The only thing that has changed recently is the Battery went flat and I bought a new one from Halfords. The car runs perfectly ok.

Tried this: https://www.lexusofatlanticcity.com/blog/how-do-i-reset-the-maintenance-449910 but no luck.

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

10 minutes ago, Davearia said:

Hi,

My Lexus GS 300 has its engine light stuck on. Was told it might be an issue with fuel I got from Morrisons supermarket. But 2 tanks later it is still on. The only thing that has changed recently is the Battery went flat and I bought a new one from Halfords. The car runs perfectly ok.

Tried this: https://www.lexusofatlanticcity.com/blog/how-do-i-reset-the-maintenance-449910 but no luck.

Thanks,

Might sound odd, but try cleaning  or replacing your petrol cap......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get an OBD code reader and see what the fault is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried that in the past, didn't really identify a fault, but new petrol cap worked.

I'm pretty sure Toyota (for it is their cap) know about this.

Only reason I bother with it is for MoT. In fact like the OP, our car runs fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are dozens of reason why the light may be on. Fuel cap is just one, and rarely the issue but if it isn't put on tight then the pressure isn't correct in the tank and you get an error - which will clear after the issue is resolved and you go through three ignition/engine start/stop cycles.

The European series II GS pre-facelift (1998-2000) isn't fully ODBII compliant and many readers won't work. 10/2000-2005 facelift models I believe are ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi thanks for you help with this.

I did try asking a mechanic to plug a diagnostic tool in, assuming it was an OBD and he said it didn't seem to work with my 2003 GS 300.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 2:19 PM, ColinBarber said:

There are dozens of reason why the light may be on. Fuel cap is just one, and rarely the issue but if it isn't put on tight then the pressure isn't correct in the tank and you get an error - which will clear after the issue is resolved and you go through three ignition/engine start/stop cycles.

The European series II GS pre-facelift (1998-2000) isn't fully ODBII compliant and many readers won't work. 10/2000-2005 facelift models I believe are ok.

As a matter of interest, what sort of fault might there be if the light is on, but the car is running perfectly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IanA2 said:

As a matter of interest, what sort of fault might there be if the light is on, but the car is running perfectly?

Typically faults to the O2 sensor heaters, slow reacting O2 sensor, Cat below efficiency threshold, and possibly even misfire errors if it is intermittent. Other issues with O2 sensors or MAF sensors may affect fuel economy but the driver may not notice.

Hard sensor faults will typically put the vehicle into limp mode so you definitely will notice an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi thanks for you help with this.
I did try asking a mechanic to plug a diagnostic tool in, assuming it was an OBD and he said it didn't seem to work with my 2003 GS 300.


That is odd, a 2003 car should definitely work.

Where abouts are you located?


Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now