Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

European breakdown cover for older cars

The-Acre

Has anyone else with an ageing car experienced this?  Although my Celsior has only covered 64k, most breakdown companies won't cover me due to it being over 15 years old.  As far as I can make out the AA is the only one that doesn't specify age, and naturally the most expensive!  Although being a member I get a small discount. Are there any alternatives I don't know of? I was hoping to use Gem but again it's 15 years.

I got rid of my MB E Class last year when it was 18 years old. I always have annual European cover. The last few years I've found it convenient to use the insurer's own cover. Elephant, Aviva, LV are companies I've used who didn't mind the age of my car when taking out cover alongside the insurance.

In addition, do a search on net for breakdown cover. You'll find companies like AXA offering European cover for older cars. One or two suspect looking offers as well so do search for reviews if you don't recognise the company.

The only thing to be wary of is that more and more everyone is putting in a caveat stating they won't repatriate if the cost is greater than the value of the car. But their cover otherwise is comprehensive enough (usual stuff of taking it to a garage, onward journey costs, etc).

• Thanks 1

I have this cover ' free ' from my Nationwide FlexPlus account BUT .................

1 hour ago, BachelorDays said:

a caveat stating they won't repatriate if the cost is greater than the value of the car. But their cover otherwise is comprehensive enough (usual stuff of taking it to a garage, onward journey costs, etc).

and mine's 23 years old now

Malc

28 minutes ago, Malc said:

I have this cover ' free ' from my Nationwide FlexPlus account BUT .................

Malc

I guess it'll be easier just to take out the AA cover in the end rather than trying to save a few quid.  Sadly I bank with the Bank of Scotland and they give nothing away.  Also I should maybe just hope Lexus reliability will prove itself.  We're not going for a while yet so I'll get the car booked in and checked beforehand.  I've changed the radiator so hopefully one less concern. In about 12 years of Lexus ownership I've only broken down once with a duff coilpack on my MK2, even that allowed me to limp home!

3 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

Please feel free to take a look at our breakdown offering if you wish.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/?utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=breakdown&utm_medium=ppc&msclkid=6eae31f13cf21623dd2c6d9050fb5071

Regards,

Dan.

Will do, thanks.

22 hours ago, Malc said:

Malc

I too have the cover from my Nationwide Flex Plus Account for the EClass Estate

I DRIVE TO SPAIN AND BACK TWICE EACH YEAR..

Car is 16 years old and covered 233,000 miles

It must however be serviced in accordance with the Manufacturers advices.

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It must however be serviced in accordance with the Manufacturers advices.

and are there manufacturers advices for cars of this age ?

Malc

15 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

who repeats the first 100,000 mile service schedule

so are u saying that Mercedes has a service schedule ad infinitum ?  does Lexus for our aged Ls400s have this too please ?

Malc

19 minutes ago, Malc said:

so are u saying that Mercedes has a service schedule ad infinitum ?  does Lexus for our aged Ls400s have this too please ?

Malc

Sorry for calling you Phil, Malc.

No, I am saying that the 100,000 schedule is repeated by my Indy who certifies that an appropriate service has been completed via a VAT invoice.

Lexus will have a schedule for the first 100,000 I am sure. Ask Lexus, or a Member on here or via the Lexus website.

As I said, I may just go with the AA after all as they don't seem to ask many questions!  It's not something I've really thought about until I looked at making some arrangements for this year. Last year we went in my GS which was 13 years old so wasn't an issue.