Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should i go for the NX?

Hi all, im. New here

Im am considering the NX,  everything about it suits me and my needs . the problem is i have a hearing problem that can gets worse with a lot of noise. 

A friend owns a NX and said his is noisy yet when i test drove one i thought it was quite. So i wanted to Hear from more NX owners to see if they find theres quite? 

My partner told me to make sure i have good tyres on to reduce tyre noise and avoid low profile tyres.

im also considering the UX as well so will be posting in that section too. 

id be greatful for any advice on the NX.

Make sure you try both the F-Sport and the 'standard' NX (i.e. SE, Luxury or Premier) models. I found the F-Sport to be noisier and have a harder ride.

The problem with your question is that different people will perceive noise based on how they drive, on what roads, and based on what they may have driven previously.

I consider my NX Luxury to be very quiet - as do others that have been in it - with the exception of a new LR Discovery owner who thought it was quite noisy...

41 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Make sure you try both the F-Sport and the 'standard' NX (i.e. SE, Luxury or Premier) models. I found the F-Sport to be noisier and have a harder ride.

The problem with your question is that different people will perceive noise based on how they drive, on what roads, and based on what they may have driven previously.

I consider my NX Luxury to be very quiet - as do others that have been in it - with the exception of a new LR Discovery owner who thought it was quite noisy...

The noise will also depend on brand of tyres fitted. Japanese Dunlops are quite noisy in my opinion. Michelin (not an OE fitment) are really quiet in my experience.. You will find that some brands of tyre have specific Lexus fitment, my IS300h (yokahoma) and GS300h (Dunlop) both had tyres specifically developed for Lexus fitment. 

Unfortunately I am using a 68 reg Land Rover Discovery Sport at the moment as my NX Premier was side swiped by an ancient Nissan Note! Fortunately no-one was injured in the accident and the third party and his insurers admitted full liability the next day.

Anyway, the accident asides, in my (and my wife’s) impression is the LR Is quieter (and that is with it having low profile tyres) but imho the interior and comfort is not up to the NX standards. Also with a normal auto gearbox v the CVT, the auto seems a bit snatchy, BUT the LR is a very good vehicle.

I also have a hearing problem and still I would go for the refinement of the NX before the LR. 

• Like 1

I think the NX is pretty quiet for a large-ish SUV.  In particular there is very little drivetrain noise unless you accelerate really hard, and it's whisper-quiet around town. Occasionally I find wind noise noticeable at high speed, but that's a reflection of the quietness of the rest of the car. Tyres are a factor - as soon as my original Bridgestone front tyres were worn I switched to Michelins all round (CrossClimates) and they've reduced road noise still further.  In its road test of the original 2014 NX, Autocar found that the cabin was as quiet at 70mph as a diesel Jaguar F-Pace at 30mph, so objectively it's a quiet car.  In all other respects, I think the NX is outstanding, and its combination of sharp looks, reliability and low emissions is hard to beat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a new NX for a full weekend test drive. Was really taken aback how noisy it was. The road roar through the vehicle was totally unacceptable in my opinion. Make sure you take it for a motorway run (ask for a 24hr test drive) I had really convinced myself it was the car for me so was very dissapointed. 

When I gave it back the guys in the showroom said its a common complaint. Pity as it's such a good looking vehicle and really nice place to be on the inside 

Having just driven home down the M4 I find the post above astonishing, but @Physiogirl as I said earlier in the thread, the problem with asking a question such as this is that you'll get various opinions (and some opinions presented as facts) based on perceptions. As we know, perception is reality at least in the mind of the individual with that perception. My perception is no more right or wrong than others represented on this thread.

The only way to know for sure is to go and take an extended test drive yourself and make your own mind up.

Interestingly, when I took my extended test drive I remarked to the dealer how quiet and relaxing I felt the NX to be. The reply? 'Everybody says that, Sir.' A good salesman won't disagree with a customer where he feels he cannot reverse the opinion - there is no point. In agreeing, whether it is 'truthful' or not, he builds rapport and hopes to sell something else instead.

• Like 1

The NX I have got now is my second one.  My latest one is the updated version and both were/are the f-sport. However having come from audi I do not find the NX to be any noisier or harsher than them and do find it quiet. Yes you do get road noise but that is from the tyres and is only on some roads.  I am not a lover of yokohama tyres and am in the process of changing to michelin.  However I have never found the road noise to be intrusive.  It is my opinion that if you can hear road noise then the rest of the vehicle must be quiet.  What First Lexus states is a very valid observation.  

I prey the revised bushings & AVS on my 2019 F-Sport will overcome  the OEM tyres that will be fitted otherwise my Chelsea tractor will disappoint!

Tel

• Haha 1

I have driven several Disco Sports and Jag F-Paces and they do not feel as premium as the NX. Even fully loaded, their interiors feel basic and bland, and never as plush as in a Lexus.

With regards to the NX suspension, I for one prefer the F-Sport set up: I prefer the firmer ride and the better road holding that it offers.

Noise (and come to that comfort) is dependent on the tyres fitted (as per previous posts, I also recommend the Michelin Cross Climates), but also on your driving style. It takes a little while to adapt to the CVT transmission and to balance performance vs noise. The CVT can be noisy under pressure, but on the other hand offers linear progress without any of the jerkiness of standard automatics.

• Like 1

Worth reading this series of reviews which seem very balanced and accurate based on my experience.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/extended-tests/extended-test-2018-lexus-nx-300h-review/

Reviewer notes on a couple of occasions how quiet the NX is, especially compared with a Skoda SUV diesel. More economical too...

• Like 2

The thing about the NX is that it only looks good in F sport trim.  Likewise the 2016 RX450.  In luxury and premier trim it looks like a generic SUV eg Quashqai, Honda SUV, Mitsubishi SUV.

I have never driven an NX but without F sport trim I wouldn't even consider it regardless of how much quieter or softer the ride.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Fsport said:

The thing about the NX is that it only looks good in F sport trim.  Likewise the 2016 RX450.  In luxury and premier trim it looks like a generic SUV eg Quashqai, Honda SUV, Mitsubishi SUV.

I have never driven an NX but without F sport trim I wouldn't even consider it regardless of how much quieter or softer the ride.

I absolutely love my f-sport. Also recently ditched the yokohama’s and fitted michelin cross climate. What a difference. Now very quiet in my opinion and enjoying the car more if thats possible.

17 hours ago, Fsport said:

Have you been on the Lexus site and looked at the difference between F-Sport NX and the others @Fsport?

F-Sport badges, different wheels, black door mirrors, a slightly different grille and a silver bit at the bottom of the front bumper. That's the difference. You'd need to be a real Lexus geek to see the differences imho! 

Having had an F-Sport for a few weeks and now having a non-F Sport Luxury, I can safely say that I found the F-Sport ride far too hard for my tastes. And I have driven various NXs (and RXs in F-Sport and non-F Sport too. I preferred the standard RX too...).

Having just bought an NX, I decided the substantial tax saving of a luxury was worth forgoing the ‘sporty’ look of the F-Sport. I would have ordered the sport pack to dechrome the car, but you can’t get the tan interior with that spec, which is a real shame. 

20 hours ago, Fsport said:

Aesthetic judgments are always subjective of course. But I have to disagree with this.  Given that mid-size SUVs are generally similar in overall shape and mass, I think Nobuyuki Tomatsu did an outstanding job with the design of the NX. It's much edgier than the obvious competitors, and at the same time better resolved. The surfacing responds to lighting very strongly. In fact I think the biggest challenge for Lexus will be to replace it with something equally distinctive and interesting. Design work on the next NX - which will presumably share the new RAV4/ES TNGA platform - is probably almost signed off. Manufacturers have a tendency to tone down (some might say dumb down) radical designs in second iterations, so let's keep our fingers crossed that this fate doesn't await the next NX.

I've had an NX for about 2 weeks now. I've put almost 2k on the clock with a decent mix of motorway and a-roads. I've found it to be pretty quiet and comfortable and reasonably economical for its size.

That said, it depends how you drive it. Get a bit heavy footed and the economy drops through the floor and it becomes a lot more noisy. But it doesn't feel like that's how it wants to be driven.

D

20 hours ago, Eggie said:

I absolutely love my f-sport. Also recently ditched the yokohama’s and fitted michelin cross climate. What a difference. Now very quiet in my opinion and enjoying the car more if thats possible.

Ditto. The Cross Climates transform the car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1