Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MAF Sensor cleaning.

bobjol

Just been reading up on Preventive Maintenance and noticed some posts about MAF Sensor cleaning.   Car is running fine with no probs, but never carried out a MAF clean.

There are many conflicting posts about which Product to use, and which ones to avoid ( obviously the contact cleaners for lubrication are a no- no. )  The MAF sensor is easily

accessed on the LS430 so a quick removal and clean is an easy job.  But my concern is which product is best and will not damage the sensitive wires?

Would love to hear from anyone who has cleaned the sensor and not had any problems afterwards, and which product was used.

Or could it be a case of  "If it aint broke, don't fix it?"

We've used Liqui Moly MAF cleaner with good results on a pals Celica (hesitation, poor mpg). We found it on offer and it had good reviews.

It hasn't removed build up on the leading edge of my GS's MAF tho [emoji20] Pic's below/attached. I think I'll be replacing mine but I want to see if mpg improves after changing the plugs.

I would think any dedicated MAF cleaner would be okay. Maybe some are better than others?

Some folks claim MAF's are self cleaning but that doesn't fit with sensors I've seen.f2fc691735e10012d166dded5f9b043b.jpg715b9b216b7eb9ad93a150d499e70224.jpg

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to this enquiry,  but I wish to hear from someone who has actually

cleaned the MAF sensor on a LS430 and what product was used without any after effects.

As above or as Colin recommends, isopropyl alcohol.

It really doesn't matter about the make and model of car.

However, you do mention "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". MAF cleaning is certainly an internet forum favourite. Something just about anyone can do and then swear blind their car picks up from standstill or has a slight improvement mid-range. Personally I'd file it with K&N filters and V-Power. Unless you're completely cack handed it won't do any harm. Equally it probably won't make any difference either.

13 minutes ago, bobjol said:

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to this enquiry,  but I wish to hear from someone who has actually

cleaned the MAF sensor on a LS430 and what product was used without any after effects.

The knowledgebase article I linked to is for a GS430 - the same engine as the LS430 and uses the same part.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, bobjol said:

I had a lambda problem, but thought it might be a MAF gunged up. As it was it was fine, but I did clean it with....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00295EEBK/ref=asc_df_B00295EEBK58497396/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B00295EEBK&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309775958298&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9049257035534645885&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044889&hvtargid=pla-562908091814

Worked really well. Not much stuff came off, but the 'bulb thing' was mauve on one side. and grimey on the other.
Took it out of my 2002 LS430, sprayed it at all angles and put it to drain on kitchen paper for 2 hours to dry. The 'bulb' was then mauve all the way around.

Did it improve the car.....not really, but it was cleanish anyway. The lamda was the problem.