Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone had there car ceramic coated? Looking into getting my GS300h done as I intend to keep car for ten years or so. Car ends up with a showroom finish that lasts for years. Only reservation is what happens to the coating in later years.

It is also quite expensive in excess of £1k.

Hi Hardy,

I had mine done with Gen 3 Glasscoat when I got it. It still looks great after three years. Mine cost around £300 but you may be able to get the dealers to do a deal, it certainly was not £1000. Easier to clean too, I use the Glasscoat shampoo, which is quite expensive, I would never pay that much for shampoo for my hair, but cars are different!

I had a minor car park knock and the smart repairer said that as it had been Glasscoated it had not damaged the paintwork underneath and so he got the mark off without having to repaint it.

Would I have it again, definitely. Worth every penny to me. Others will disagree.

I have not heard that it needs to be repeated every few years. I think it best to get it done when new. No point in putting a coating on imperfect paint to start with.

Personally I would stick with using a modern Polish system. I use chemical Guys Blackllight on my cars. My car has a hard life doing 500 miles a week and people often comment how shiny it looks. Do it perhaps twice a year and it buffs off easily. After washes I spritz it with chemical guys V70 and it leaves a nice smooth finish. 

I also wonder how a bodyshop deals with the ceramic coating if repairs are needed. My RX apparently had GardX applied when new and I wouldn't rate that although it is a lot different to ceramic coating. 

I have ceramic coating on a 14 year old Toyota, paintwork still looks like new and get many comments on how nice it is. The ceramic is probably worn off but it has kept the car in very good condition for it's age. You are not suppose to wax the car afterwards, but I do now.

Also had ceramic on the glass (think its ceramic) and its like fresh rainX that never wears off. Cleaning is much easier.

One of the most highly recommended ceramic coatings is GTech C1.  Costs £85 for a 50ml bottle.   Take a look at Youtube and type in GTech C1 ceramic coating and watch the guy from GTech apply it on a Porsche.  The 50ml bottle will easily cover a car.

I've done two cars with it,  a LS460 and my current GS450h.    Without doubt the prep required before applying any ceramic coating is vital.   clay bar the surface, machine polish the car, degrease all panels after polishing so the paintwork has absolutely nothing on it's surface as it's a chemical bond between the coating and the paintwork.  

The latest C1 product has a slower curing time so you can remove excess coating and buff the panel at the same time with nothing more than a quality micro fibre cloth.  It takes only a couple of minutes to be cured and by over night it's rock hard.  The earlier version of C1 meant you had to work quite quickly.      

Thank you all your comments which have been really helpful and after further research, I am thinking that to get it ceramic coated professionally is expensive after seeing that a diy kit can be bought for around £100, whether they are the same quality I am not so sure.

Therefore for the moment I am going to get a good quality polish/wax until later in the year, when I will see whats the latest on the market. 

So its out with the Bilt Hamber double speed carnauba wax for now, which does give off a reasonable shine.

Personally I'd advise against a diy ceramic coating if you don't know precisely what you are doing, as the preparation needs to be perfect. I used to show cars so like to think I know my way around a good (amateur) detail, but with advancing years and less mobility I had my NX professionally coated using GTechniq.

Best thing I've done in ages. Very quick and simple maintenance now to get it looking (almost) perfect. Cost was £500 total. The company I chose was recommended on detailing World, and was superb. My huge collection of polishes and waxes has stayed untouched since it was done, I now just use C2v3 to finish as required.

The cost of your quote seems high, but as your car is 2014 there may be considerable correction needed before a coating can be applied properly. I'm actually not sure whether I'd bother on an older car, just not something I'd considered. Look on DW, plenty of information there.

These are the guys that did mine.

Summit Detailing

Instagram Summit NX Detail

On 2/11/2019 at 2:31 PM, Hardy said:

It is also quite expensive in excess of £1k.

Ceramic coating costs £25-.... well max max £150 if you get into pro-only applications. £1000 is for full detail and polishing of the car - that is what makes your car look like from showroom, not the last step which is the coating. Even then, the price would be like £350-550, £1000 is either rip-off or you trying to book your car somewhere in Chelsea or Knightsbridge, to be done next to McLaren P1.

Other thing - ceramic coating is not like apply and forget for 2 years (or whatever they claim). You need to keep the car clean for it to bead the water, you need to top it up from time to time (say every 2,3rd wash), there are dedicated "top coats" for ceramic coatings etc. In short if you want ceramic coating to last and to give you like "on application" water beading you need to maintain it. It is misconception that you spend £500 to get car detailed and ceramic coat applied and it is "protected for 2 years".

Bear in mind as well - ceramic costing is not what makes your car look brand new (unless it is brand new now), it is the polishing. So if you have scratches and you apply ceramic coating on top... you going to have scratched-up pain with ceramic coating on top.. that is it. I is still going to look dull and ugly. You need to address any scratches of even light swirls before applying the coating. 

If you are really planning to keep car long term then do ceramic coating and detailing, but I would suggest to consider clear bra as well, at very least on the front quarter of the car.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:47 PM, Hardy said:

Thank you all your comments which have been really helpful and after further research, I am thinking that to get it ceramic coated professionally is expensive after seeing that a diy kit can be bought for around £100, whether they are the same quality I am not so sure.

Therefore for the moment I am going to get a good quality polish/wax until later in the year, when I will see whats the latest on the market. 

So its out with the Bilt Hamber double speed carnauba wax for now, which does give off a reasonable shine.

BH double speed wax is very nice to work with and quite durable. 

Having said that, maybe a ceramic infused spray sealant might be more up your street? 

Something like Adams ceramic spray coating or TAC systems moonlight doesnt require the same level of care when applying as a true sealant yet should still manage 6 months.

Alternatively, Sonax spray and seal, or autoglyms new Polar Seal are very good if you're stuck for time.