Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone used Rain-X?

The-Acre

I bought some recently, not cheap at about £7 a bottle, but I can't see what all the fuss is about, it's hard to wipe off and doesn't seem anywhere near as good as normal glass cleaners.  Am I missing something?

Phil, Rain X is not a glass cleaner. Clean your glass first with whichever cleaner you prefer, then apply Rain X as instructed. Really does make the rain bead off better when driving in heavy rain.

Have used it on all my cars (travel a lot to Yorkshire, always rains in Yorkshire, that's because Yorkshire's up North)

Graham.

17 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Guys, they do a glass cleaner too. Clearly what Phil has bought. I buy it too but not for the car, it's good on the shower screen at home :wink:

Phil, they're talking about this.

Aha!  So I bought glass cleaner for £7?  Mind you, it does say on mine "rain repellent" as well.  I'll nip into Halfords later to see if they have any. Thanks.

I found that RainX works very well on the near vertical rear screens of 4x4s to keep the dirt to a minimum. It also works well on reversing camera lenses for the same reason.

I was never brave enough to try it on the windscreen due to reports of smearing etc.

A lot of Lexus cars have rain shedding rear glass anyway.

Yes use their glass cleaner on the side and tailgate windows, not on the windscreen as I found it too smeary with the wiper blades as it wearing off. It is hard to wipe off if you use too much (1 or 2 squirts per side window is enough) and the glass needs to be dry to start with our the rain repellent nature of the product means you will spend ages trying to buff it dry.

For the windscreen I stick to AG fast glass and a separate cloth so I don't get any rainx on the windscreen glass.

1 hour ago, colin79666 said:

Yes use their glass cleaner on the side and tailgate windows, not on the windscreen as I found it too smeary with the wiper blades as it wearing off. It is hard to wipe off if you use too much (1 or 2 squirts per side window is enough) and the glass needs to be dry to start with our the rain repellent nature of the product means you will spend ages trying to buff it dry.

For the windscreen I stick to AG fast glass and a separate cloth so I don't get any rainx on the windscreen glass.

That's what I found, very smeary on the windscreen when using the wipers.

I have used the repellent for years I use it on all but front windscreen as it's smeary particularly when the temperature is low. The product you have Phil is great for the shower cubicle.and house windows but surprisingly not so good for the car. Make sure you follow the repellent instructions exactly.

• Like 1

The glass cleaner products with rain repellent tend to be difficult to wipe off as you've observed, and their rain repellency fades quickly. 

Rain-X rain repellent is ok, but nothing more - I've moved onto Gtechniq G5, which is FAR better than Rain-X. Water beads even better, and it lasts many times longer (side windows and mirrors - I don't use on windscreen due to smearing). 

• Like 1