Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1992 Soarer 1JZ (Sitting 11 years)

Alexis1jz

Hi folks,

New to the site, have a 1JZ-GTE Soarer with auto trans, was a garden find that had been sitting 11 years!! She was covered in moss top and sides, which seems to have preserved the paint and stopped her from developing any rust. Underneath is also in excellent condition. I bought it as a non start and it was stuck in "P". The guy used it to tow his small 13ft sail boat, so needless to say it has a tow bar. 🤣

I eventually got it out of "P" in his driveway the morning the tow truck came (happy days), got it home and spent 4 hours washing it and it easily needs another hour or two spent on washing. I got a new Battery for it, whipped off the timing belt cover to see a new Toyota T/Belt in place, however it has been there 11 years!!!. Once the Battery was installed I turned ignition on to reveal a very low lit dash board. I cycled the ignition on and off a few times and with each time the dash started to brighten, a Battery stabilization unit was put on and ignition was left on then for a while which seemed to help the electric start to function again.

The following day I after leaving it on power for the night I rotated the engine by hand to make sure it wasn't seized then  I cranked it over, although it had a very healthy turn over she would not fire (time to get out the multimeters and probes i guess😁). The fuel pump was not working at all, the alternator rectifier was shot and the FPC module was erratic at best. So with that a plan was made to remove and have the alternator reconditioned, a new AEM 380Lph fuel pump was ordered along with new Denso spark plugs, engine oil, oil filter and coolant. Parts arrived Friday just gone, so it was a fun filled weekend with one mission, to get her started!!.

I flushed the rad out, which was pretty filthy it must be said, refitted the alternator and also the Denso plugs, then went about installing the new AEM 380lph fuel pump. There was a 1/4 of a tank of old fuel in her, I took some out and set it alight to see how quickly it would ignite. It ignited no problem so put everything back together, filled it up with coolant and cranked it over..... BOOM....1st turn of the key she sprung to life and idled very sweetly for 2 hours without issue. I then turned it off as it was getting late, i decided to make sure she would fire back up again, but when I went to turn it over it would not fire.

So quick trip to diagnosis port to bridge "Fp & B+" terminals and then turn ignition on, pump kicked in and she fired up no problem at all. So left it at that as I knew where I was going hunting to find the issue on Sunday morning. Needles to say after some testing as suspected all along the FPC module was also passed its sell by date. So that pretty mucg brings me upto date so far. A new FPC module has been ordered as I like my cars to be right, I know I could bypass it and all that but I would rather it functioned as it should just in case. The list on this girly is going to be BIIIGGG!!!!! as expected for a car sitting outside idle for 11 years.

But for now....I'm happy out with the progress 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Brilliant Alex!

Please keep us up to date with progress. And when it's concours, sell it to me :thumbsup:

Thank you Rich, I shall indeed keep it updated. Hopefully by the weekend I shall get some pictures up of her. She's met green with light grey cloth interior, over all the interior is in great condition, it's just very mouldy!!! The new FPC module won't be in until 4 of March so I am told :yawn:. So that will leave me with lots and lots of time to get her all cleaned up inside and out, run some BG EPR engine flush through it and do an oil change and a coolant flush again.

Once those jobs are done then It shall be time to address the brakes and do a brake fluid change, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on.....

On 2/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, rich1068 said:

Not sure if you're on Twitter Alex but one of the serial car buyers I follow on there has just picked up a Soarer and it's his new play thing. Look for @Joe_Hallenbeck

Hi Rich, thank you for the heads up, I'm afraid I don't do Twitter or Facebook but herself does so I shall go and have a looksie :).

UPDATE:

So after 11 years of not running, I got her going a couple of days ago. I fitted new fuel pump and a new rectifier was fitted to the alternator. First turn of the key and up she went. Idled away in the drive for nearly 2 hours without issue. Turned her off and then back on and "NON START". Bypassed the fuel pump control module and up she fired again. Turned her off and called it a night. Ordered a new fuel pump control module the following Monday.  Wednesday evening decide to run it again with heating on to help get rid of the damp smell etc.

Went to turn her over and all I got was an asthmatic wheeze, "bugger, starter motor has jacked it in" I thought!. Then realized the engine was turning over so the starter could not be the cause. Decided to have a looksie today and do a compression test....

Cyl1 = 0psi
Cyl2 = 35psi
Cyl3 = 0psi
Cyl4 = 0psi
Cyl5 = 60psi
Cyl6 = 0psi

Checked timing and all markings lined up when rotated first time by hand, rotated again and looks like its 5 degrees out. Shall be lifting rocker covers tomorrow to check clearances and valve operation and then go from there. Would be an absolute tragedy if I had top pull the motor and build a beast :D :D :D

So, from those compression readings, do you think that the valves are not closed 100% for some reason? You say it ran (idle) for a long while previously but not now. So could it be that the timing is now out due to that 10+ year old belt?

paul m.

• Like 1

Hi Texas,

Yes a very good chance belt has jumped, will take cam covers off today and see what’s happening under the cams. There is a HKS t/belt and Toyota tensioners on route, might even just pull the engine altogether and start the quest for power straight away. I know if I just get it up and running normally I’ll enjoy driving it too much and never do the engine build. So maybe best to just start now. End goal is 800hp! 

So for now, seeing as I got fook all done today aside from lifting valve covers I shall play “Thread Catchup” and get up some more pics from the last 4 weeks! 

Hopefully tomorrow I shall get to rotate the engine and check clearances etc. For now though PICS!!! 

CA0291C4-8DDD-44EC-B499-47BE09EC629F.jpeg

79E237BB-A138-4311-A940-C60259162C02.jpeg

B602063A-2B79-4692-9DB5-5BDC6418051C.jpeg

584B2B49-BD88-4E0E-B005-F917F5AE12E8.jpeg

E16FB7C4-DE53-45CC-B2C6-38402CD8D81F.jpeg

C71CF27F-BA71-43B0-A391-5850660B1EDF.jpeg

• Like 2

@PCM: Not too often you see a silver Soarer, very tasty in silver.

Some bulb replacement and out with the alternator which got a new rectifier. All healthy again. Old fuel pump looks pretty rough!! New AEM in and working a treat. 

F0037D2C-FC5C-4A22-BA24-F28CAF4F85CE.jpeg

83757E4F-0097-4CC0-8A9D-0D141795B4D0.jpeg

7FE3B991-A399-43DD-A342-D5C4DA80B1FC.jpeg

A1C83DC5-746F-44BA-BEF2-1236967D5747.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I wonder how many 4 litre Soarers there are left in UK. (stop being lazy-look it up, Chris!)

I've got them on my Watchlist, though I may be a bit old fashioned, as stuff gets sold on Twitter, or whatever, these days, it seems!

I'd love a good 4 litre Auto car to do w/end drives in my dotage! Miss that engine!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi folks, long time since I've been on!!! Work and life in general keeping me on my toes. Nothing has happened with the Soarer of late, other than gathering of parts. Will have an update soon enough.

I go rid of the Mazda CX-5 daily and replaced it with a Lexus IS300h non report model. Very impressed, love it. Just wish it was slightly more powerful and slightly better built inside. With not being able to leave anything alone, there's a few parts goodies on the way just to make her pop a little. 😉