Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting Hid lamps into halogen light units is an MoT fail and potentially dazzling to other drivers.

You could try fitting upgraded halogen lamps from the likes of Phillips or Osram i.e. Nightbreaker +

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

A can of worms this one. I have these ballast and bulbs, and have never failed an mot.

eBay item number:

eBay item number:

these have been in present car 4 years in june.

Have you had an MOT since the rules changed? 

From section 4.1.4 in the tester's manual:

image.thumb.png.617a57e1e48f2dfcd90e9d9ce7cb5690.png

c. is what they get you on. HID bulbs are deemed non-compatible with lamp housings which originally were fitted with halogen.

It will depend on your tester, but mine failed my car on this when he (same tester) has always passed them previously - new regs - even though he agreed that they weren't dazzling and had better beam control than halogen bulbs.

I'd suggest you keep a pair of halogen bulbs handy to fit them for a retest!

Never been flashed is not really reliable way of knowing if you dazzling others, some crazy people (like me) flashes every car, but most don't bother. The funniest thing - I flash somebody with clearly fake HIDs which are too bright and dazzles and they try to flash me back, but their main beam usually is not as strong as fake HIDs in dipped beam.

MOT is as well hit and miss, some cars I see on the roads are not road worthy never-mind MOT "passing" - yet they have MOTs. Difference of scrutiny from centre to centre is literally anywhere between black and white and all shades of grey.

Fake HID is just bad idea, antisocial, dazzles other, looks silly blue and doesn't give that much extra visibility anyway. The only way as suggested to get good quality high kelvin halogens like Osram Nightbreakers 

• Like 2

My headlight are set by mot tester they always alter from the setting i use. So must be aligned correctly. As for these supper headlight bulbs, that last a couple of months

you talk about are utter rubbish. And if my bulbs are not brighter than the halogens, i need my eyes testing. Also as of a blue tint i use 5000k which is actually white.

And 3000k for the fogs which are yellow. 

As said updated halogens is the way to go,recently did mine the improvement was quite drastic.

i also aligned them again as they were slightly low this improved further much better night time vision and no dazzling on coming drivers

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, brunskill43 said:

Auxbeam are the best for led bulbs.replaced both my front fog and headlights and they are superb.

They are usa based but youtube there products as i did.

IMG_20190303_014117.jpg

IMG_20190303_014123.jpg

IMG_20190303_014044.jpg

No harness required just swop bulbs and go and just like factory fitted bulbs. Hope this helps.