Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Starting Problem

rusty

The othe day I tried starting my IS200 and the engine spun around just like there was no compression or the starter motor had not enganged. To test this I put it in gear and turned the key and the car moved so the starter motor was engaging.

It did this for several tries and then eventually it turned over properly, as in whir whir whir, it was doing weeeeeeeeee, (hope you get what I mean) and fired up.

I have had the car over 4 years and this is the first and only time it had done this,

Anyone got an ideas what may have happened :blink:

Had you previously run the car only briefly?

Sometimes if you start up and then stop soon after (like if you just move the car out of a garage etc) the the coldstart cycle doesn't complete and you get fuel left in the cylinders. When you next try to start, you get the effect you describe to clear the excess fuel before it will fire up - well, something like that anyway.

I can't remember if I had just moved it or not, i do remember it was a very cold night though.

The engine span as though no compression, how does the coldstart thingy work?

Yeah, that's how it seems (no compression) - I assume there is some kind of valve arrangement to vent the cylinders.

I've also known a discharged battery cause the same when there just wasn't enough oomph in it to push the cog sufficiently forward to properly engage the flywheel.

Starter must have engaged 'cos there was drive to the wheels.

Lexicon - you seem to be the only one who has experienced this, where did you read about the cylinder clear out theory?

Well, I've experienced it myself on a previous car, but it's been mentioned a few times by "Honest John" the motoring journalist for the Telegraph.

It is (apparently) one of the most frequent reasons for breakdown callout - most people assume it's knackered, give up and call the AA.

Still don't know how it works though - like you say there seems to be no compression and I don't understand how that's possible without some sort of relief-valve or similar.

It is (apparently) one of the most frequent reasons for breakdown callout - most people assume it's knackered, give up and call the AA.

I was about to get out of mine and use the wifes car so I can see why. Like you say, there must be a valve of somekind, don't see how else it can happen.