Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extended Warranty?

HI

i have been offered an extension of the warranty on my car.  Coming to 3 years old and I bought it second hand a year ago.

The 1 year Warranty is coming to an end then they offered me a deal to extend it 2 years for £795.

The offer comes with Lexus Roadside and 2 Free MOTs including Lexus MOT failure.

My question is it worth it? Can someone let me know?

Here is the list of what is included and not included:

The Extended Warranty Covers You For:

·          Engine Components

·         Clutch

·         Gearbox and manual transmission

·         Automatic transmission

·         Four wheel drive transmission

·         Rear axle

·         Prop shaft

·         Suspension

·         Braking system

·         Turbocharger

·         Fuel system

·         Diesel injection systems

·         Electronic ignition

·         Electrics

·         Oil leaks

·         Cooling system

·         Steering

·         Air conditioning

·         Casings

·         HV Battery on Hybrids

It does have some exclusions which are:

·         Serviceable items

·         Drive belt adjustments

·         Brake and clutch adjustments and replacements due to wear

·         Glass replacements due to breakages or impact

·         Lights, bulbs and headlight adjustments

·         Window and door lock adjustments

·         Paintwork and bodywork

·         12 Volt Battery (HV Battery on Hybrids is covered)

·         Interior trim

·         Corrosion to the exhaust

·         Road Wheels

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Yes, of course it's worth it.

The breakdown cover alone would be over £200 for two years so that takes the warranty itself down to £595 or less.

If you have LED headlights and one fails it'll be hundreds to replace (over £800 for one sealed unit on my RX450h), so yes, well worth it.

Once the car gets to 9 or 10 years old I don't think I'd bother anymore and just get parts from a breakers yard.

If you think you'll need the warranty, have you considered shopping around, i.e warranty direct

I know the purpose of these thing are just incase, but it comes down to what's likely to cost you over £795 that will go faulty in the next 2 years. 

Cancel your AA cover as the Lexus cover is for 2 people travelling in any car. The warranty is good value as one simple issue could be megabucks. For instance Toyota are notorious for leaking around the. water pump. On my GS300h It was found to be weeping at service. The car was under warranty and the water pump was replaced. Car was 2 years old. That would have been a £300 job. 

Warranty direct I suspect is dearer from my previous research, not as comprehensive. With Lexus it will be much more straightforward. 

To me it is a no brainer 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, azuldiamondavid said:

I forgot to mention that I already have AA breakdown cover. I have been with the AA for more than 20 years.

Well first of all, as you probably already know, there's no loyalty to customers in most areas these days. Gas, electricity, insurance, television and more all give their best deals to new customers so you may well find the AA would be cheaper to a new customer too.

Lexus Breakdown do actually use the AA anyway and I don't know about your existing cover but with Lexus, your wife/partner could call them out if she was in a friend's car (Lexus or not) because they cover up to two people, not the car.

9 hours ago, azuldiamondavid said:

I forgot to mention that I already have AA breakdown cover. I have been with the AA for more than 20 years.

That is why the Lexus breakdown cover may not be useful for me.

You can suspend your AA cover for the period covered by the warranty

16 hours ago, azuldiamondavid said:

HI

i have been offered an extension of the warranty on my car.  Coming to 3 years old and I bought it second hand a year ago.

The 1 year Warranty is coming to an end then they offered me a deal to extend it 2 years for £795.

The offer comes with Lexus Roadside and 2 Free MOTs including Lexus MOT failure.

My question is it worth it? Can someone let me know?

Here is the list of what is included and not included:

The Extended Warranty Covers You For:

·          Engine Components

·         Clutch

·         Gearbox and manual transmission

·         Automatic transmission

·         Four wheel drive transmission

·         Rear axle

·         Prop shaft

·         Suspension

·         Braking system

·         Turbocharger

·         Fuel system

·         Diesel injection systems

·         Electronic ignition

·         Electrics

·         Oil leaks

·         Cooling system

·         Steering

·         Air conditioning

·         Casings

·         HV Battery on Hybrids

It does have some exclusions which are:

·         Serviceable items

·         Drive belt adjustments

·         Brake and clutch adjustments and replacements due to wear

·         Glass replacements due to breakages or impact

·         Lights, bulbs and headlight adjustments

·         Window and door lock adjustments

·         Paintwork and bodywork

·         12 Volt battery (HV battery on Hybrids is covered)

·         Interior trim

·         Corrosion to the exhaust

·         Road Wheels

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Cheers!

I took 2 years extended warranty on my IS 300h when the original warranty expired. Although I hope not to have any major problems with a Lexus, any car can go wrong and so it's peace of mind - that is what insurance is - for the unexpected. If you have the cash reserves to pay a large bill should it ever be needed then over a long period you are probably better off financially not taking insurance - but would you have what might be a few thousand pounds available for a repair should it be needed? I have made one claim since taking the extended warranty - the washer fluid sensor failed in the washer fluid bottle - it was replaced under extended warranty - the bill had I done it outside of that was around £400.

So, given that I also get the full euro breakdown cover included (provided through AA) and some other small benefits from the extended warranty then by the end of the two years I will be about evens with whether I had taken the warranty or not but will have had peace of mind on top for the same period. I will most probably extend the warranty for two more years when this one expires - the car will have done nearly 80K miles if I take the next two years warranty and so an additional two years would take me through to over 100K miles at which time I would probably be looking to change to another car.

One other thing - it is a condition of the extended warranty that the car has to be serviced at the prescribed intervals by a Lexus dealer - that was my plan anyway but if you are thinking of servicing elsewhere the Lexus extended warranty cannot be used.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, Herbie said:

Yes, of course it's worth it.

The breakdown cover alone would be over £200 for two years so that takes the warranty itself down to £595 or less.

If you have LED headlights and one fails it'll be hundreds to replace (over £800 for one sealed unit on my RX450h), so yes, well worth it.

Once the car gets to 9 or 10 years old I don't think I'd bother anymore and just get parts from a breakers yard.

Looking at the list provided by the OP... it would seem that headlights are not covered. Can anyone confirm one way or other?

Looking at my extended warranty document (19 pages) section 4.1.(e) list the items excluded as follows

All consumable items including without limitation

Fuel, engine oil and other lubricants, brake fluid, power steering fluid, windscreen washer fluid, and any of the following parts which are deficient merely as a result of usage; air filters, oil filters, brake pads, clutch plates, drive/cam belts, spark plugs, breaker points, windscreen wiper blades, light bulbs, fuses and tyres.

In addition section 5 describes the MOT test cover..

5.1  We will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing any MOT Protected part in the event that it suffers a mechanical or electrical failure and that mechanical or electrical failure is stated in the official notification of refusal to issue a MOT certificate to be the reason or a reason why a MOT certificate cannot be issued in respect of the Protected Vehicle during the Warranty Period.

5.2    We will not pay for the cost of repairing or replacing any MOT protected part that suffers a mechanical or electrical failure as a result of wear and tear or corrosion..

5.7 MOT protected parts

All front, side and rear lamps including direction indicator lamps, fog lamps, hazard warning lamps and number-plate illumination lamps.

All rear facing reflectors

All lighting control switches

All steering components

The transmission shaft

All wheel bearings

All front and rear suspension shock absorbers

All brake components excluding brake pads

All front seat mountings and backrest reclining mechanisms when in an upright position.

All seat belt mountings

All windscreen wipers and washer units excluding wiper blades and washer fluids

All fuel injection system components when the Protected Vehicle fails to meet MOT fuel emission standards as a result of calibration failure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Djwbiker said:

Looking at my extended warranty document (19 pages) section 4.1.(e) list the items excluded as follows

All consumable items including without limitation

Fuel, engine oil and other lubricants, brake fluid, power steering fluid, windscreen washer fluid, and any of the following parts which are deficient merely as a result of usage; air filters, oil filters, brake pads, clutch plates, drive/cam belts, spark plugs, breaker points, windscreen wiper blades, light bulbs, fuses and tyres.

In addition section 5 describes the MOT test cover..

5.1  We will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing any MOT Protected part in the event that it suffers a mechanical or electrical failure and that mechanical or electrical failure is stated in the official notification of refusal to issue a MOT certificate to be the reason or a reason why a MOT certificate cannot be issued in respect of the Protected Vehicle during the Warranty Period.

5.2    We will not pay for the cost of repairing or replacing any MOT protected part that suffers a mechanical or electrical failure as a result of wear and tear or corrosion..

5.7 MOT protected parts

All front, side and rear lamps including direction indicator lamps, fog lamps, hazard warning lamps and number-plate illumination lamps.

All rear facing reflectors

All lighting control switches

All steering components

The transmission shaft

All wheel bearings

All front and rear suspension shock absorbers

All brake components excluding brake pads

All front seat mountings and backrest reclining mechanisms when in an upright position.

All seat belt mountings

All windscreen wipers and washer units excluding wiper blades and washer fluids

All fuel injection system components when the Protected Vehicle fails to meet MOT fuel emission standards as a result of calibration failure.

I have the extended warranty and read the same - it all comes down to what is a reasonable life for something - someone earlier gave the example of an LED headlight - there are quoted hours for how long these sort of components should last and if it one failed significantly quicker than that I would expect it to be covered under the warranty given the cost of replacement but if a normal 5v bulb failed after say a year then I wouldn't expect that as an extended warranty. I seem to remember something a while back about someone getting a HID bulb replaced under warranty - I think it was the extended warranty - that may have been as one of the MOT protected parts.

• Like 1