I rest my case

I think I will bung a IS200 in here too

Urban: Manual: 21.4 mpg

Auto: 20.2 mpg

Extra-urban: Manual: 36.2 mpg

Auto:36.7 mpg

Combined: Manual: 29.1 mpg

Auto:28.5 mpg

oh look.. the IS is not even 1 mile better to the gallon!

LS has much more refinement.

make sure its a series 3... they were the most economical.. the series 4 was absolute pants on consumption.

I fisgured this out ages ago... my soarer is worse than the GS... turbos suck it like a straw!

95-97 model is what you want

I think I will bung a IS200 in here too

Urban: Manual: 21.4 mpg

Auto: 20.2 mpg

Extra-urban: Manual: 36.2 mpg

Auto:36.7 mpg

Combined: Manual: 29.1 mpg

Auto:28.5 mpg

oh look.. the IS is not even 1 mile better to the gallon!

LS has much more refinement.

This doesn't compare with the LS figures.

The government changed the way the fuel comsumption was measured a few years ago to be more true to life. The IS figures are on the new system, the LS on the old.

Series 1 figures are as old as the LS ones

colin I know what you mean... but in your mind just hw much better would the IS be?

I have read that the series II was the most economical if you did the figures.

That's what I think would be the difference. Nothing worked out. I know the IS is poor on fuel but not that bad. Much lighter car with smaller engine and more efficent drivetrain (manual gearbox)

Look at the fuel figures between the LS MKIII and MKIV. There is a big difference. I would actually think the MKIV is better has they improved economy with each version. However the MKIV appears to be 4 or 5 mpg worse.

The MKIV is tested under the newer regulations and the MKIII under the old regs.

the only way to tell this would be the trip computer in the car.. it should tell you what its averaging...

I read up that the Mark II was the best... but was this because inaccurate figures?

I have read their disclaimer saying that figures could be different due to weather conditions and all

but these figures were tested using the original EC driving cycles under directive 80/1268/EEC

So the mark IV figures are using the old system

Also i always assumed a bigger engine at 57mph would be much more efficient. I would need to see more proof that you are correct colin.. perhaps a few members here could do some tests of their own

The MKIV figures are on the new system. Don't be fooled by the Lexus website - there are so many errors on there. Those figures are for the new regs.

Look at the excel spreadsheet here:

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/download_data.htm

The car was sold in 2000 and had to be tested with the new regs.

Bigger engines better at speed. Not in my case. My old GS300 is better on fuel than my GS430 even though the 4.3 engine is a newer design.

but that shows the figures on the Lexus site would be something near... we are not saying exact and I appreciate that the figures are an estimate.. but even those figures show the GS430 has higher consumption than the GS300... but compare it with weight and all the other factors like extra CC, 2 more cylinders then its does pretty well considering.

I would say those figures should be 1 mile either way of those figures on the Lexus website. But what i did notice is that I did not see a disclaimer on the IS200 specs... I could go and buy a car with those specs only to find it could be worse... your figures show better.. but still wrong to the consumer.

ok.. i am going off on one.. :winky: :whistling:

I will do some more research!

The figures are exactly the same as the Lexus web site because they are the offical figures for the car, except the Lexus web site states they are on the old system but the government site says the new system.

They must be the new system because the MKIV would not be worse than the MKIII. The MKIV is only a little heavier but has the same drag, more efficent VVT-i engine and has a 5 speed box over the MKIII 4 speed.

It's a bit like the new LS430 over the old one. The gearbox has made a big difference to the mpg.

There are a few mpg figures from members here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=11597&

so back on topic... anything I should be looking for

i will check for upper arm ball joints

leaky exhaust manifold

dash lights

broken springs

So.. all i need to do is boot it.. that will tell if anything is wrong.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links