ElTel62

Paint issues?

I've just picked up my 66 plate NX F Sport yesterday after having an IS300 Premier for the past 3 years.  After getting car home I noticed a small area of paint bubbling on the nearside front wheel arch.  I called Lexus Exeter and have arranged to take it back for inspection.  I'm wondering if the previous owner has had a poor repair job done in the past or if its a paint problem.  Has anyone else had issues with the paintwork? 

IMG_20190213_151940.jpg

Only paint issue has been stone chipping for me. I'd be surprised if your NX left the factory with an issue like that, especially in a fairly visible area. Good luck getting it sorted, hopefully the dealer will look after you.

I had dust under the lacquer on the nearside C pillar.  Didn’t notice it at first and after 2 weeks saw what I thought was a small stone chip. Lexus body shop knew straight away what it was - even before seeing the car.  The Takumi paint shop staff must have had the day off when mine went through the factory.  Naturally, Lexus GB warrantied the work which meant removing the small pane of glass just forward of the C pillar in order to do it properly rather than just taping the glass edge.  New glass was on backorder for almost 4 weeks.  Car now perfect and you’d never know.  Body shop even sanded the new paint back to a mirror finish to match.

• Like 1

I have to say, I do find my NX - and my previous NX was the same - particularly prone to stone chipping. I've only done 5k miles in 8 months but have more stone chips already than on nearly any other car I've owned, even after years and thousands of miles. It's disappointing for a premium brand, and used Lexus vehicles I've looked at also seem to suffer badly.

Do they use the same paint on Toyotas? Just thinking about the new RAV4 as a possibility.

8 minutes ago, JeffL said:

Do they use the same paint on Toyotas? Just thinking about the new RAV4 as a possibility.

My previous Toyotas have chipped terribly.  Hopefully, the RAVs shape may keep some chips away from painted areas. 

• Thanks 1

My 2015 Honda CR-V had unpainted plastic half way up the front bumper, and large plastic mouldings on the bottoms of the doors. That worked pretty well, much better than lots of brittle paint in vulnerable areas as the NX has.

• Thanks 1

Just looking at the new RAV4 online and the design seems to be similar to my old CRV with fewer painted areas lower down at the front and large(ish) areas of plastic moulding on the lower doors. Mind you, the wheel arch design looks very odd to my eyes, so it isn't all good. The current NX is a far better looking vehicle imho.