Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paint issues?

I've just picked up my 66 plate NX F Sport yesterday after having an IS300 Premier for the past 3 years.  After getting car home I noticed a small area of paint bubbling on the nearside front wheel arch.  I called Lexus Exeter and have arranged to take it back for inspection.  I'm wondering if the previous owner has had a poor repair job done in the past or if its a paint problem.  Has anyone else had issues with the paintwork? 

IMG_20190213_151940.jpg

Only paint issue has been stone chipping for me. I'd be surprised if your NX left the factory with an issue like that, especially in a fairly visible area. Good luck getting it sorted, hopefully the dealer will look after you.

I had dust under the lacquer on the nearside C pillar.  Didn’t notice it at first and after 2 weeks saw what I thought was a small stone chip. Lexus body shop knew straight away what it was - even before seeing the car.  The Takumi paint shop staff must have had the day off when mine went through the factory.  Naturally, Lexus GB warrantied the work which meant removing the small pane of glass just forward of the C pillar in order to do it properly rather than just taping the glass edge.  New glass was on backorder for almost 4 weeks.  Car now perfect and you’d never know.  Body shop even sanded the new paint back to a mirror finish to match.

• Like 1

I have to say, I do find my NX - and my previous NX was the same - particularly prone to stone chipping. I've only done 5k miles in 8 months but have more stone chips already than on nearly any other car I've owned, even after years and thousands of miles. It's disappointing for a premium brand, and used Lexus vehicles I've looked at also seem to suffer badly.

8 minutes ago, JeffL said:

Do they use the same paint on Toyotas? Just thinking about the new RAV4 as a possibility.

My previous Toyotas have chipped terribly.  Hopefully, the RAVs shape may keep some chips away from painted areas. 

• Thanks 1

My 2015 Honda CR-V had unpainted plastic half way up the front bumper, and large plastic mouldings on the bottoms of the doors. That worked pretty well, much better than lots of brittle paint in vulnerable areas as the NX has.

• Thanks 1

Just looking at the new RAV4 online and the design seems to be similar to my old CRV with fewer painted areas lower down at the front and large(ish) areas of plastic moulding on the lower doors. Mind you, the wheel arch design looks very odd to my eyes, so it isn't all good. The current NX is a far better looking vehicle imho.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:41 AM, ElTel62 said:

I've just picked up my 66 plate NX F Sport yesterday after having an IS300 Premier for the past 3 years.  After getting car home I noticed a small area of paint bubbling on the nearside front wheel arch.  I called Lexus Exeter and have arranged to take it back for inspection.  I'm wondering if the previous owner has had a poor repair job done in the past or if its a paint problem.  Has anyone else had issues with the paintwork? 

IMG_20190213_151940.jpg

Thats paint cracking so I would assume yes, its been repainted in the past 

Fortunately, I havent suffered from many chips at all even after plenty of motorway journeys 

Ive found sitting at 60mph behind trucks to be the worst!

5 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I have to say, I do find my NX - and my previous NX was the same - particularly prone to stone chipping. I've only done 5k miles in 8 months but have more stone chips already than on nearly any other car I've owned, even after years and thousands of miles. It's disappointing for a premium brand, and used Lexus vehicles I've looked at also seem to suffer badly.

Sorry but Mercedes paint is just as bad, same with mini and alfa. Modern water based paints all seemtto chip easily. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Thats paint cracking so I would assume yes, its been repainted in the past 

Fortunately, I havent suffered from many chips at all even after plenty of motorway journeys 

Ive found sitting at 60mph behind trucks to be the worst!

That's a poor accident repair. I hadta similar but worse issue on my 2014 IS300h 2 days after it came out of the bodyshop. It cracked and was bubbling all over the rear quarter of the car. Suspect this issue may spread if its the same issue. A paint depth indicator may give antidea of how much of the car has been painted. 

20 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Sorry but Mercedes paint is just as bad, same with mini and alfa. Modern water based paints all seemtto chip easily. 

Maybe I've just been lucky, but previous Hondas were much tougher and they were 2012/2015 models. Interested to see you reference MINI. This may have changed, but my 2004 Cooper - owned from new - only has two tiny chips on the lower bumper. I went to the factory to see it built, and at the time they boasted about the thickness of their paint finish and a rubber compound in it that resisted chipping. It has certainly worked for mine (famous last words...).

Worst cars I've had for chipping were VWs, which I have since discovered are known for a hard, but brittle, finish. At least my NX is much better than those useless pieces of...😉

OK, so the paint blemish was caused by a paintless dent removal carried out by previous owner.  Lexus have given their usual excellent aftersales service and fixed it free of charge and also delivered back to me. This is one of the reasons I rate Lexus as the best owner experiences I have had in all my years of driving.  Thanks to the guys at Exeter Lexus. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1