Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

USB Music

Having got to grips with most of the controls and gadgets at my disposal in my NX, I have tried to find out why my albums that I play from USB are playing in the wrong order. 

I can see that the system is playing them in alphabetical order, whereas I would like them played in the order that they appear on the album.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

I have tried (and failed) using the manual to find the answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

When you say USB, do you mean just with a memory stick/drive or phone/mp3 player connected?

If just files on a USB memory stick then unfortunately I don't believe the system looks at the metadata within the files to obtain the track order information. You may have to prefix the song filenames with a number to force the order - e.g. 01-xxxx, 02-xxxxx etc.

Hi Colin.  Yes I do mean music on a memory stick. 

The NX must have different software to both the CT and IS that I had previously, because the music played in both cars from the same USB stick as I would expect.

I take your point though in terms of numbering each track.  This may fix the issue and I will give it a go.

Thanks for your help.

Yes I have the same problem at it is so annoying. 

The system appears to completely ignore the Track Number that is programmed into a file, and instead uses either the file name or track title (can’t remember which) and plays them alphabetically. 

Another example of stuff that my wife’s £10k Aygo does perfectly that a £40k Lexus can’t. 

I love my NX but I have to say that the software on the new 10inch media system (2017MM system) is shocking. It’s like it has never been tested. 

I’m wanting to compile a massive list of issues and send it to Lexus. I’ve found loads in the Nav system. It’s just getting round to sitting down and writing them all up. 

What bugs me (I have a pre-2018 facelift Premier) is having to wait several minutes after starting the car before I can select music either via manually browsing or voice commands. Ok so I have about 5000 tracks in folders by artist then album but is the processor really that slow? The usb drive just stays plugged in. I rarely add new music.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a USB socket on my 2007 GS300 (AFAIK) but with the latest cars from Lexus with USB sockets, can an Iphone be plugged in and would the music from the Iphone play in the  correct order? As an aside, do recent Lexus models have apple Car Play? Thanks.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:40 PM, JeffL said:

I don't have a USB socket on my 2007 GS300 (AFAIK) but with the latest cars from Lexus with USB sockets, can an iPhone be plugged in and would the music from the iPhone play in the  correct order? As an aside, do recent Lexus models have Apple Car Play? Thanks.

Any reason you wouldn't just play the music through Bluetooth from modern models? 

There's talks about apple Car Play but no confirmation yet

Thanks Ilari72.  I tried your 'fix' but unfortunately it made no difference.  I think the only thing that will fix it is to change the file names so that the number 1 track is prefixed with an A, the number 2 prefixed with a B, as the tracks are all being played in alphabetical rather than numeric order.  This is fine for most music I play, but on certain albums (War of the Worlds for example) the tracks need to be played in the correct order.

I am going to give this a go and will report back how I get on.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sheri1

I had exactly this problem when using audiobooks. I spent ages communicating with Lexus via the dealer and it was obvious they had no idea how to solve it.

After numerous hours playing and reordering and experimenting and .....Zzzzz!

My solution, which works perfectly for me (65 plate), was to write the files to the USB stick in the order I wanted them played. The unit plays them back in that order. It is, admittedly, a tedious process, but it worked. Adding 65 chapters of a book individually is daunting but I couldn't find any other way.

Hope this helps

Rob