Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting a DashCam to a RX450H

Having look into this I decided to fit a NextBase 380GW unit, which is what a Lexus dealership would fit as their recommended solution, but at a far greater price. I thought it might be of use to record how I achieved it and have produced the attach PDF file that covers the installation. I state that this is purely an example of how one might install a dashcam and hope it gives some guidance for those wishing to diy the process.

Fitting a Dash Cam to a 2014 RX450H.pdf

• Like 1

A good job Paul, both in doing the work and providing us with the pdf, but if I may suggest a small alternative....

I would have taken off the trim from the A-pillar and run the cable up there instead of the door rubber. The curtain airbag runs top to bottom so having the cable run 'across' the pillar like that may interfere with its deployment if its ever needed. Of course, it shouldn't interfere, but stranger things have happened and Murphy's Law could come into play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good guide, but I agree with Herbie - see my thread: 

I imagine that the RX will be similar and that your cable is indeed crossing the curtain airbag which could interfere with its deployment. I'm sure that removing the A-pillar trim is similar to the GS, and would recommend it. Of course, none of us ever want the airbags in our cars to deploy...

"Herbie / i-s" :- Point taken on the cable routing across the top of A-pillar. I would however imagine the force of one of these deploying outweighs any restriction the cable may have since it is not tied down to anything, but not having personally witnessed a side airbags deployment leaves the outcome unanswered. However, better safe than sorry.

"Steveledzep" :- Concerning the length of cable, I roughly laid it out across the intended route before committing to my method. The main reason for doing it that way was to house the 12v - 5v adaptor box in a suitable position.

"Dewillia" :- As for the connection suggestion into the overhead lights/sunroof, I looked at doing that on a Range Rover I owned but the wiring schematic was such that unless the lights or sunroof were active no feed was available. 

11 minutes ago, oweyes said:

I would however imagine the force of one of these deploying outweighs any restriction the cable may have since it is not tied down to anything,

I've no doubt that the force of the detonation would get the bag past the cable but any resistance from the cable would interfere with the bag's intended trajectory.

• 3 years later...

I was hoping to find this pdf that you attached, but it is no longer available. I have a 2014 RX450H and I have not been able to find a dashcam so far that will work with my exact model. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, Johnny T said:

I was hoping to find this pdf that you attached, but it is no longer available. I have a 2014 RX450H and I have not been able to find a dashcam so far that will work with my exact model. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve had dashcams for years- mainly BlackVue - and installed in four different cars.  I’ve never encountered a camera that was car specific.

So I’m intrigued as to what it is about your Lexus that is preventing the operation of the camera.

8 hours ago, Johnny T said:

All cameras work in all cars, there's nothing at all that's car-specific about them.

We had a 2013 RX450h with a Viofo A119s camera fitted. When we traded up for our 2018 RX450h I took the camera and wiring out of the old one and installed it in the new one without any problem whatsoever.

When that camera eventually died I replaced it with a dual set, the Viofo A129 Duo available from here and I'm very pleased with them.

Like Len above, I'm wondering what's different about your RX that makes you think you can't fit just any camera(s) in there? Oh, and that PDF file is still there, I just clicked on the link a couple of minutes ago to try it and yep, works fine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny T said:

Hi Johnny T,    As Herbie and Len have mentioned, the cameras are not car specific - - and the .pdf link is working.      Try it again....