Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can the mirror cover be removed?

I’ve got a couple of small chips on my offside door mirror.  I’ve tried touching them up but it’s not looking good so I’m going to get it repainted.  I’ve had a rough estimate and it’s not too bad.  Question:  can the painted part of the door mirror be removed for painting or is it best to leave it insitu and mask off the non-painted parts?

cheers

habu

Always better to remove. Worth checking with your dealer, they are available as spare parts, pre-sprayed. In the states you can get them for $45 which might be the cheapest option, but knowing the UK it will be double that and cheaper to just get your one resprayed.

I’ll find out tomorrow when my cover is replaced.  I believe some just pop on and off whilst others are mechanical fixed in.  I’m hoping the NX is the former.

Habu

• 11 months later...

Hi @Habu

Can I revive this post please?

My NX has recently got a minor stone chip on the RH door mirror. How did you get on with sorting yours in the end? Are the covers easy to remove and replace? I'm thinking of buying a replacement cover and fitting it myself rather than getting the existing one re-painted.

Thanks.

I looked at repainting and it was more than buying an OEM part, pre-painted, from your Lexus Centre.  I think I paid around £50ish for a cover which they fitted free.  Granted, it's only a small, plastic trim but I was still surprised it was less to buy than to have it repainted.

Habu

21 hours ago, Habu said:

I looked at repainting and it was more than buying an OEM part, pre-painted, from your Lexus Centre.  I think I paid around £50ish for a cover which they fitted free.  Granted, it's only a small, plastic trim but I was still surprised it was less to buy than to have it repainted.

Habu

Thanks Peter for your prompt reply.

I think I'll get a replacement cover then and try to fit it myself.

4 hours ago, Andy B said:

Thanks Peter for your prompt reply.

I think I'll get a replacement cover then and try to fit it myself.

I personally would steer clear of messing with mirrors if the dealer will do it cheaply. If you break something you'll possibly need a mortgage... 

17 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I personally would steer clear of messing with mirrors if the dealer will do it cheaply. If you break something you'll possibly need a mortgage... 

I think you may be right @olliesgrandad

After further thought and research, I think I might leave it to the experts 😛

I'll probably live with it until June when the car will go in for a service - unless I have a need to go into the dealers before then (Android Auto retro-fit maybe? 🙏)

My daughter once broke a heated mirror in a Corsa. I got a replacement glass and upon reaching home as I got out of my car the thing somehow slid out of the cardboard box and smashed on my driveway 😭😭😭

Cost me £100 for the two replacements.. and that was 15 years ago