Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 RX350 switched & permanent live q?

Pic is of rhe fusebox under the glovebox passenger side. 

Am fitting an ezi-DAB unit and need a switched and permanent live. Plenty of places to find the required earth.

Does anyone know if it is possible to take a switched and permanent live from this box? Would it be possible to do so via piggybacking? Any ideas on which might be fixed/live?

Thanks for all guidance..

Michael

20190217_121111.jpg

You need to buy a multimeter for testing. You can get cheap ones for under a tenner but even a very decent on can be had for under £30. Lots available for next day delivery on AmazoneBay or even CPC

Once you know which is permanent and which is switched, you can then happily use 'add-a-fuse' piggybacks, although you'll probably find that the fusebox cover will no longer fit unless you doctor it with a Dremel or suchlike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just to sign off this thread and give my thanks to Herbie for his sound advice and guidance; fitting is now complete and all is working.  I used my noggin instead of a multi meter (a high risk approach lol)

So tested what equipment would still work with ignition off, and found that the fuel cap opener is a constant live, 12v power sockets inside are not. So piggy backed the permanent live on the fuel cap opener fuse  and the switched live on the power sockets fuse. Unit is earthed at the oem earth point behind the passenger side kick panel and all good to go.

Will post a few pics tomorrow in case they help others. Removing the entire glovebox assembly took only 5 mins and gave me full access to the fuses and earth point, so very worthwhile. 

Michael

• Like 2

So apologies for the quality of pic 1 but thought this might be useful for anyone on here looking to wire in a dash cam or  DAB etc. to a series 2 RX.

My solution was to remove the entire glovebox (two screws + 2 bolts + two connectors and 5 minutes of time) which gives full access to the in car fusebox which I piggy backed off for the required permanent and switched live power feeds. For earth I connected to the manufacturer ground/earth point in the kick panel lower left (with the help of C McLean on here thxs Colin).

pic 1 is the passenger front area with glovebox removed (the fusebox can be seen with the lettering KF middle ish left in the pic1346598542_Gloveboxarea.thumb.jpg.311791d65e2a7c63e30bde4bdca70d6b.jpg

pic 2 is the of the fusebox with the two piggy backs attached - they fitted perfectly and tightly!!

1523589643_gloveboxarea2.thumb.jpg.c1e20d4f8c49bac56a9d1e8bf833b834.jpg

pic 3 is a close up of the manufacturer earth/ground point behind the kick panel. Note the 'E' marked on the bolt! (thanks again Colin)

809208274_RX350frontearthpoint1.thumb.jpg.59e1a2cb7d8d245419bf625e3acec4f8.jpg

A bit of trivia - some people may think that the 'E' marked on the bolt head stands for 'Earth' but it doesn't. It's the manufacturer's mark:

bolts.thumb.png.8bc0849f20430e79f9cf1918f7a99b89.png

• Haha 1