Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New owner & new to this forum with 2 issues.

2007 rx400h SE-L 

The sat nav is unbelievable clunky. I traded in a 2013 Renault Traffic van with sat nav for this piece of junk!!! Great car, but, can't believe how unfriendly the sat nav is. The Traffic was easy to use and very user friendly. I expected the same or better from Lexus, can't believe how bad it is.

1, Whatever destination i put in there is no ETA readout. I have the distance, but, not actual time. I've checked every setting and read the manual back to front and still can't find an answer. 

This is a big issue for me as I'm not that interested in the directions, but, more the ETA. I'm thinking it's most likely a blown fuse, any ideas?

2. My headlight washers don't work. I topped up the washer fluid and tried them with the headlights on and no joy. Again I'm thinking that this maybe a fuse needs replacing.

Anybody have any answers?

The nav doesnt have fuses for individual elements of the system,  it either switches on, or it doesn't.....😉

So press and hold your finger down on the screen where the distance and hours to go box is. An option  box should pop up offering you eta as an option. Select eta; and breathe......

• Like 1

I use a TomTom on the top of the fascia.  Much easier to see, don't need to look down away from the road, cost less than an update disc for the Lexus satnav and has free updates for software and maps.  It well past the time that " in car" satnave caught up with the dedicated stand alone devices.

• Like 1

Forget the factory nav and just use Waze on your phone. 

The Waze users update in real time so if, for instance, someone gets snarled up in a traffic jam that's only just started (truck wedged under a bridge or whatever) then someone with Waze can update the system and the info is live within two minutes.

Couple Waze with What Three Words and you've got an unbeatable navigation tool at your disposal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DJ Les said:

My headlight washers don't work. I topped up the washer fluid and tried them with the headlights on and no joy. Again I'm thinking that this maybe a fuse needs replacing.

How much water is in your washer bottle?  I have found that as the fluid level drops, the headlight washers stop working before the screen washers stop.  

Do you hear the pump working when you press the headlamp washer button?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Connoisseur said:

The nav doesnt have fuses for individual elements of the system,  it either switches on, or it doesn't.....😉

So press and hold your finger down on the screen where the distance and hours to go box is. An option  box should pop up offering you eta as an option. Select eta; and breathe......

Nope, that doesn't work, ETA is still blank.

16 hours ago, katabrontes said:

I use a TomTom on the top of the fascia.  Much easier to see, don't need to look down away from the road, cost less than an update disc for the Lexus satnav and has free updates for software and maps.  It well past the time that " in car" satnave caught up with the dedicated stand alone devices.

I have a Garmin sat nav i've had since 2006. Don't want untidy, messy bracket and wires on the dash thanks.

13 hours ago, Herbie said:

Forget the factory nav and just use Waze on your phone. 

The Waze users update in real time so if, for instance, someone gets snarled up in a traffic jam that's only just started (truck wedged under a bridge or whatever) then someone with Waze can update the system and the info is live within two minutes.

Couple Waze with What Three Words and you've got an unbeatable navigation tool at your disposal.

I've got Scout on my Iphone that's updated regularly, I've had Waze on before, but, same answer, I don't want an untidy mess of a bracket and wires cluttering up the dash.

51 minutes ago, welland said:

How much water is in your washer bottle?  I have found that as the fluid level drops, the headlight washers stop working before the screen washers stop.  

Do you hear the pump working when you press the headlamp washer button?

As mentioned I topped up the washer bottle to full and the headlamp washers don't work. I did not hear the pump working.

You have a 2007 model and comparing to a 2013 nav. A little harsh wouldn't you say? In built nav systems will always have their restrictions as they have to do other things as well - e.g. HVAC controls. If you don't want wires trailing on the dash you could be a little stuck. I use Google Maps on the phone and route the sound via the main unit using Bluetooth audio streaming.

One thing I did see is the VLINE module by GROM. May be worth a look but I *think* you could be looking around the £500 mark for it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DJ Les said:

As mentioned I topped up the washer bottle to full and the headlamp washers don't work. I did not hear the pump working.

I only asked because you didn't say it was full after you'd topped it up.  

In that case, I'd be inclined to check for a blown fuse.  

Thinking about it, the headlamp wash may also activate when using screen wash when the headlamps are on - but can't remember off hand.  

Does the illumination work on the screen wash button?

Was wondering myself recently exactly how the headlamp wash works.  Do the retractable jets get pushed up by water pressure? Or is there a separate mechanism to make them go up?

On 2/18/2019 at 1:19 AM, DJ Les said:

2007 rx400h SE-L 

The sat nav is unbelievable clunky. I traded in a 2013 Renault Traffic van with sat nav for this piece of junk!!! Great car, but, can't believe how unfriendly the sat nav is. The Traffic was easy to use and very user friendly. I expected the same or better from Lexus, can't believe how bad it is.

1, Whatever destination i put in there is no ETA readout. I have the distance, but, not actual time. I've checked every setting and read the manual back to front and still can't find an answer. 

This is a big issue for me as I'm not that interested in the directions, but, more the ETA. I'm thinking it's most likely a blown fuse, any ideas?

2. My headlight washers don't work. I topped up the washer fluid and tried them with the headlights on and no joy. Again I'm thinking that this maybe a fuse needs replacing.

Satnav is clunky, true. I use my phone. Easier to use, better features. Need a mount for it, of course (Unless you want audio only).

Is the sat nav DVD you are using the original 2007 version?

So if was me I would get the latest sat nav DVD (£30 here https://satnavstore.com/ALLCARS/Lexus/lexus-tns-600-700-navigation-map-dvd-sat-nav-disc-update ) and try that, although I have actually got the VLine GROM unit that can run google maps, waze etc I do like to have the latest DVD available in the OEM unit.

paul m.

On 2/26/2019 at 10:23 AM, Texas said:

Is the sat nav DVD you are using the original 2007 version?

So if was me I would get the latest sat nav DVD (£30 here https://satnavstore.com/ALLCARS/Lexus/lexus-tns-600-700-navigation-map-dvd-sat-nav-disc-update ) and try that, although I have actually got the VLine GROM unit that can run google maps, waze etc I do like to have the latest DVD available in the OEM unit.

paul m.

Thanks for the link, disc now ordered.

Cheers

Les

Sat Nav DVD arrived today and well, well, well, displays ETA or time to destination as it should. Also noticed that the screen splits on approach to junctions, roundabouts, etc. showing the overall map on the left of the screen and zoomed in detail of the junction on the right of the screen with a black background. The other nice thing is if you venture off the destination route it will re-route automatically. The previous DVD would not do that.

Only thing is the slow response when trying to programming various things.

fullsizeoutput_2046.jpeg

• Like 1