Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav orientation.

I wonder whether someone might have an answer to a question - is it possible to turn the sat nav route direction around by 180 degrees ?

I have always used after-market Garmin sat navs and the map route direction is orientated from bottom to top so the the car icon is always moving in an upward direction, also meaning that the direction is logical and you are moving towards the horizon.

In the IS 300h the nav screen is always moving from the top of the screen to the bottom, which to my mind is illogical. It makes it look as if the car icon is showing where I have come from, rather than showing where I am going. 

If you read a normal paper map you would normally read the direction from top to bottom, even if you turn the map up-side-down.

Any answers would be appreciated because I keep the the Garmin on the windscreen because it is easier to read and understand. I would like to be able to rely on the car sat nav but I can't.

Parkman.

• Haha 1

You  have as option to see map with north always "up"  and car arrow pointing toward the direction it's moving, another choice is seeing map like in a paper map or in some perspective. The switch between options is made clicking over compass button in screen.

• Like 1

Interesting that. My wife is a big map reader and navigator and switched our IS300h satnav from "car always moving up the screen" to "North always up on the screen". Horses for courses. I think that if you get hopelessly confused in a big trading estate or an area with lots of roundabouts then knowing where North is can be helpful.

1 hour ago, reeac said:

Interesting that. My wife is a big map reader and navigator and switched our IS300h satnav from "car always moving up the screen" to "North always up on the screen". Horses for courses. I think that if you get hopelessly confused in a big trading estate or an area with lots of roundabouts then knowing where North is can be helpful.

Satnav saved our marriage. We are both rubbish navigators. Many moons ago we followed a route on a map in Scotland in a loan Mercedes. Unfortunately after about 10 miles it turned into an unsurfaced footpath requiring extreme reversing skills. 😂

• Haha 2

I use the 'always moving up' setting when I want to behave and let the satnav be in charge (preferred setting for all my usual passengers). The 'North up' is when I want to let the satnav know I know better! That's when the fun starts.

I guess it's the same thing as how you hold a map when you are reading it. Some hold it "North upwards" whilst others hold it orientated to coincide with the surrounding terrain.