Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

8 minutes ago, lazzlo amundo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.eabecda480ec04680c66ab8be154f6c8.jpeg

Can anyone tell me what sort of fuse fits here,the last owner blew it,he connected the Battery the wrong way round.He also blew the altinator oh and the radio.i put the arrow in the wrong place,it's the fuse with the botch up red wire across it.cheers

Wow Cliff, I'm sorry to say it but it looks very much like you've been sold a pig in a poke there mate. It's no wonder you're having electrical problems and I think I now understand why your auto-electrician said he couldn't help!

That bit of wire instead of a fuse could have caused untold problems. You have my sympathy and my sincere best wishes, but I'm afraid all bets are off.

If that jumper clamp with the red wire is the supply to the fuse box then I'd stop buying stuff piecemeal and start taking bits off for examination (like the fuse box, alternator and the linked wiring harness) until I see a clean base from where to start rebuilding. Interesting project if the mechanical side is sound. But not an afternoon job. (Not even a weekend job). Fun for an enthusiast.

To your specific question on the fuse, it looks like it's the same type as the other three in the row. I'm afraid I don't know what colour/amperage.

You could test the load passing through it using a multimeter. That will be useful in letting you know if it's within the spec of the designated amperage for it.

You want a White 100amp Dome fuse.

Not sure if this will do the job as may not fit????.

Suggest you get two of the correct fuses. Probably cost over a fiver each from Japan if I recall correctly when  I bouight one for a MR2.

Lexus parts may sell them??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pal-Fuses-100A-Amp-Male-Japanese-Slow-Blow-Fuse-Honda-Toyota-Mazda/253527421611?hash=item3b076972ab:m:mDGNhRZ8bJowTq9hiFXI2rA:rk:27:pf:0 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 11:51 PM, Herbie said:

Wow Cliff, I'm sorry to say it but it looks very much like you've been sold a pig in a poke there mate. It's no wonder you're having electrical problems and I think I now understand why your auto-electrician said he couldn't help!

That bit of wire instead of a fuse could have caused untold problems. You have my sympathy and my sincere best wishes, but I'm afraid all bets are off.

That wire was put on as an emergency fix,everything works fine.They did blow the altinator and the radio,the car runs fine and all the electrics work.It cant be that bad,i don't think.PS touch wood.

29 minutes ago, lazzlo amundo said:

That wire was put on as an emergency fix,everything works fine.

Aren't you the one trying to find a parasitic drain that keeps flattening the Battery?

They did blow the altinator and the radio,the car runs fine and all the electrics work.It cant be that bad,i don't think.PS touch wood.

Again, aren't you the one with the electrical problems? How do you know "everything's fine"?

A fuse is meant to be the weakest link in the chain and it's meant to protect the wiring by blowing and disconnecting the circuit in case of excessive current. If excess current flows and the wires upstream can't handle it, the fuse should blow to protect them. Because there's no fuse there but just a lump of wire instead, the wires upstream may have got hot, the insulation may have melted and the conductor touching an adjoining conductor could be causing the parasitic drain.

The pink fuse holder below the dodgy one is showing signs of melting if I'm not mistaken.

15 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Aren't you the one trying to find a parasitic drain that keeps flattening the battery?

Again, aren't you the one with the electrical problems? How do you know "everything's fine"?

A fuse is meant to be the weakest link in the chain and it's meant to protect the wiring by blowing and disconnecting the circuit in case of excessive current. If excess current flows and the wires upstream can't handle it, the fuse should blow to protect them. Because there's no fuse there but just a lump of wire instead, the wires upstream may have got hot, the insulation may have melted and the conductor touching an adjoining conductor could be causing the parasitic drain.

The pink fuse holder below the dodgy one is showing signs of melting if I'm not mistaken.

Everything works exept the radio,the car runs and drives fine.Iv'e read the ls400 is protedted againsed putting the Battery on the wrong way round,the last owner did just that,the red wire is an emergency repair.I will find and fix fhe problem,i never give in,personaly don't think its anything drastic.If i can save this car i will do.Ive seen nicer looking ls400 scrapped,broken just for parts.It's a shame.ps,i did have to fit a new altinator.

32 minutes ago, lazzlo amundo said:

the red wire is an emergency repair.

No Cliff, the red wire is a disaster waiting to happen and it may already be affecting something you can't see, but hey-ho, I wish you well my friend and I hope you get it sorted soon.

2 minutes ago, Herbie said:

No Cliff, the red wire is a disaster waiting to happen and it may already be affecting something you can't see, but hey-ho, I wish you well my friend and I hope you get it sorted soon.

Ive bought a used fuse box with everything in it,we can only see what happens when i fix that botch job.I'ill keep you informed,i'm optimistic on this issue,got to be.

I was looking at your Photo and thought I hadn't seen Lucas Batteries for quite a while. (maybe I've not been looking). 

Then I read that Yuasa stopped selling them to Lucas in 2006.  I also saw this Lucas Battery but upon reading it is for a Start/stop vehicle and seems they sell them more for  Mobility Scooters. Is it suited to a Lexus LS400??Does it say manufacture date 2011  Perhaps its not the one you have??

Also did you take each fuse out and test them for continuity as they all seem to not have their cover caps in place or perhaps I just can't see them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-LP068-068-Car-Battery-HYUNDAI-KIA-LEXUS-MAZDA-MITSUBISHI-NISSAN-TOYOTA/191722296590?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&epid=2097620825&hash=item2ca38a150e:g:AMYAAOSwYHxWKjjo:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

On 2/20/2019 at 4:46 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

I was looking at your Photo and thought I hadn't seen Lucas Batteries for quite a while. (maybe I've not been looking). 

Then I read that Yuasa stopped selling them to Lucas in 2006.  I also saw this Lucas Battery but upon reading it is for a Start/stop vehicle and seems they sell them more for  Mobility Scooters. Is it suited to a Lexus LS400??Does it say manufacture date 2011  Perhaps its not the one you have??

Also did you take each fuse out and test them for continuity as they all seem to not have their cover caps in place or perhaps I just can't see them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-LP068-068-Car-Battery-HYUNDAI-KIA-LEXUS-MAZDA-MITSUBISHI-NISSAN-TOYOTA/191722296590?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&epid=2097620825&hash=item2ca38a150e:g:AMYAAOSwYHxWKjjo:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I bought that Battery from a propper car assesory shop just a few days ago,i told the owner what car it was for and thats the Battery he gave me.The fuses,yes two cover caps are missing.My used fuse box might arrive satureday,it's got everything in it so i'm gonna do a swap on everything.See what gives.PS,i will check the Battery tomorrow,if iv'e been sold a dodgy Battery i will play holy f..k with him.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:49 AM, BachelorDays said:

If that jumper clamp with the red wire is the supply to the fuse box then I'd stop buying stuff piecemeal and start taking bits off for examination (like the fuse box, alternator and the linked wiring harness) until I see a clean base from where to start rebuilding. Interesting project if the mechanical side is sound. But not an afternoon job. (Not even a weekend job). Fun for an enthusiast.

It's my project car,it's got 11 month mot.The engine is sweet with only 100,040 miles.it's taxed,insured fully comp for £175.00.Sweet.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:45 AM, lazzlo amundo said:

It's my project car,it's got 11 month mot.The engine is sweet with only 100,040 miles.it's taxed,insured fully comp for £175.00.Sweet.

Should be fun. Hope the new fuse box does the trick. I'd check all the earth points in the engine bay before installing the new fuse box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 9:02 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

Where are you with your project?Hi.Iv'e not touched it for a while,the weathere's been a bit damp and my bones have been aching a bit.I connected the battery this morning,first turn of the key and away it went.I'll be back on it in the morning,iv'e replaced the dodgy altinator fuse and swapped all the relays out of my spare fuse box.The batt drain is still there thou,i'm thinking of fitting a battery cut off switch if i can't sort the drain out.

On 2/23/2019 at 1:54 PM, BachelorDays said:

Should be fun. Hope the new fuse box does the trick. I'd check all the earth points in the engine bay before installing the new fuse box.

I'm not swaping the full fuse box,that would be madness.I only bought a spare fuse box for the innerds,it was worth £15 quid for all the relays and fuses.

Hears the deal,when i pull the 15amp dome fuse out of the main fuse box the drain stops.That's the fuse that runs everything in the small fuse box under the drivers footwell,i pulled every fuse out and guess what.The drains still there,the car is usable and great to drive.

Did you establish that your CD player in the boot opens? 

Its a permanent "live" and if it isn't working then you need to check the cable routing.

Is it a 15 A fuse to the Fusebox?  Seems low to me as Heater is 20A? Doesn't answer your drain problem given what you say.

Lexus fuse box.jpg

4 hours ago, lazzlo amundo said:

Hears the deal,when i pull the 15amp dome fuse out of the main fuse box the drain stops.That's the fuse that runs everything in the small fuse box under the drivers footwell,i pulled every fuse out and guess what.The drains still there,the car is usable and great to drive.

So let me get this straight.

• You pull out the 15A Dome fuse from the "main fuse box" - where is this main fuse box?
  • You seem to think that this 15A fuse feeds the whole of the fuse box in the driver's footwell

Is the fuse box in the driver's footwell the same as the picture that @runsgrateasanut has posted above? If so, there is absolutely no way whatsoever that a 15A fuse can be supplying the power to that whole fuse box and all the devices it feeds, so you need to do more investigation.