Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My first Lexus and the anger in the family - Am I alone?

Dear Lexus Lovers,

after months and months researching to by my first Lexus, I found a beautiful and full option Lexus 460 from 2007. I made the test drive yesterday and I have to say: what a machine. The best car I ever drove. No comparison with some Audis, BMWs and Mercedes I had in my hands. I was very convinced to buy it...until I told my mother and father in law.

My father in law asked how many HP the car had. When I told 381 HP he just FREAKED OUT big, big time. Started saying that such a car is for dumb, idiot and irrational people. He did not even bother to ask me to see the pictures and videos of the car. Not even bothered to hear why I would buy such a car after researching  every day in the last 3 months to find the best, most reliable and safe car for the budget I have. His "argument" is that buying such a car to commute 70 Km a day to work is ridiculous. I was shocked.

My mother in law was at first mad at him because the words he used against me but afterwards said that such a car does not fit to a well succeed young professional and young father (I am 38 and 2 small kids). That such car is for old guys with rolex. Then they said I was just waiting for: that in Germany (yes, we live in Germany although I am not german; they are) having such big cars is bad perceived by others. Like, it is car for guys from third world countries coming to Germany, for pimps, show-offs and so on. That in town people would find very strange and would make thoughts. What would my colleagues at work think  of me. When I asked then what car would "fit" to me, my father in law said it was not his task to tell that (even because he is ignorant in this topid)  and my mothe in law said that a BMW would be way better ignoring the fact that they are money pits.

I was shocked, big, big time and my day was destroyed. It felt like being bashed and considered a low life for choosing for my dream car. Important fact: my wife was totally against having a Lexus mainly because of the fuel consumption, but she was amazed after the test drive. Like, wow!

Sorry for writting such a long and personal case here, but I would really like to listen if you guys also had the same experience. If Lexus is really so bad seen in Europe/Germany and having one is related to bad things, like being a ignorant pimp.

I really don't bother what other thinks of me as long they don't pay my bills. Because I know people buy money pits like BMWs and Mercedes because of status and not because they are good. But boy, oh, boy I was shaked. 

Thanks guys

It's your money and you will be the one driving it. If it fits with you and your own family it really doesn't matter. Just make sure that the car has been checked over and all the maintenance is up to date - they can still have big running costs...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What would have been their response if you told them you had got a 400 bhp Merc or Audi I wonder.......( being Germanic I bet they would have been OK with them I bet, bit shallow if you ask me)

As for being seen as 'bad' I don't think it's that more so 'unknown' like you found out, unless you use one you don't realise how good they are compared to the competition.

paul m.

• Thanks 1

doubtless had you bought a huge Mercedes or BMW or Audi they would have been pleased ? ?

Rest assured your Ls460 is far far better than those .....  just make sure you do preventative stuff like the new radiator to stop gearbox failure etc .........  no one tells you that with Mercs no doubt even though it's maybe a similar fault I read ( but can't remember where )

Your Ls460 is their envy methinks:whistling:

Malc

• Thanks 1

As Normski says your money. Any car can be a money pit, however look at satisfaction and reliability surveys. Lexus is nearly top in all of them. Compare that with other marques including the German ones.  I had audis for over 10yrs but now drive a lexus. I do not regret making the change.

Thanks for the feedback, man. The auto will be bought from an official Lexus resellet. It is fully checked and the only big thing in the history is that the suspension was changed 1 year ago. Otherwise I would get a 12 garantee from them.

Best

Welcome Bob, to the world of Lexus motoring,which few are privy to enter.

I have a couple of favourite phrases which I think are appropriate in your circumstances.

1. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, and

2. The minority are the best informed.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your new LS and to your report of its arrival and personal experience of owning.

As above. Perhaps they are worried about the practicalities and running costs of something they know very little about.

I agree it can hurt. I remember buying a few cars back in the day that might have seemed a bit odd with a young family but I got support from my in laws and I still remember that now.

Do you have another car, a runaround or similar or will it be your daily driver. You sound like an enthusiast or you wouldn't have stumbled across this car . Explain that it will be a safe / reliable car. I bet they would change their mind if you took them out in it. 

Its a head / heart thing that I still go through now that will only be satisfied when I eventually get that RCF. 😉

1 hour ago, Bob Karly said:

It is fully checked and the only

BUT please please please don't get caught out after the 12 month warranty with the gearbox going " pop " coz you haven't dealt with the radiator issue :zorro:

Malc

Bob,

I bought my first LS400 at the tender age of 50, up to then had been Vauxhall driver (and sometime Peugeot - never again)

Quite a few of my mates (and others) thought I had bought a drug dealers car (though at the time the local smack-head dealer was still in a Carlton - not sure what the local dealer is driving now, other than I wish someone would put them out of business).

Mostly I had (and still get), how can you afford to run such a big car.  However nothing like the response you got from your 'family'.

I would say having worked in Germany and a fair few Germans, most of them drove BMW mainly (as far as I could tell) because their dads drove  BMW as did their grandads etc.

In places like Belgium, Luxembourg they found it strange I drove a Vauxhall Omega (to them they were the pimps car), so many be it is a cultural thing.

Seems like someone will always put a cultural label on a car, so just enjoy it, and maybe if they see how mcuh money you really save over time and how nice the car is, their minds will change.

3 hours ago, Normski said:

It's your money and you will be the one driving it. If it fits with you and your own family it really doesn't matter. Just make sure that the car has been checked over and all the maintenance is up to date - they can still have big running costs...

1 hour ago, Malc said:

BUT please please please don't get caught out after the 12 month warranty with the gearbox going " pop " coz you haven't dealt with the radiator issue :zorro:

Malc

Thanks for the hint! Just got an Email from the Lexus dealer. The cooler was changed in 2016. With how many thousand km must they be changed?

2 hours ago, doog442 said:

As above. Perhaps they are worried about the practicalities and running costs of something they know very little about.

I agree it can hurt. I remember buying a few cars back in the day that might have seemed a bit odd with a young family but I got support from my in laws and I still remember that now.

Do you have another car, a runaround or similar or will it be your daily driver. You sound like an enthusiast or you wouldn't have stumbled across this car . Explain that it will be a safe / reliable car. I bet they would change their mind if you took them out in it. 

Its a head / heart thing that I still go through now that will only be satisfied when I eventually get that RCF. 😉

It will be my main car for a 70km daily commute. Iam a motorsport fan, but to be very honest I dind't know Lexus until November last year. I really got deep in my research and matter what people say, I do believe Lexus will be the best choice. This is what I see/read from the happy customers. German cars = a very expensive headache. Lexus really got into my heart.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vince Donald said:

Wow,can only assume a jealous response there.

I used to do a commute of about 84km each way in my 230BHP Saab, smooth relaxed drive.

Vince

Hahaha, mate! They were also saying yesterday that Saab is for arrogsnt people! WTF?!? I do reslly start believing it is jealous at its finest. Because there is no logic in thinking that a Lexus is worst than BMW, Mercedes. Worse, as my parent in law said: the Lexus I want is for dumb, idiot and irresponsible people. Wow!

2 hours ago, Bob Karly said:

The cooler was changed in 2016. With how many thousand km must they be changed?

this is NOT a service item and Lexus would probably never consider it needs sorting out EVER .........  just that experience shows it sometimes happens and when it does it's 'orribly expensive and often, for the Ls430, just simply Terminal

just put it in your diary for 12 years and 120k miles time I guess :yahoo:

Family besides, you might well still have your fabulous Ls460 then

Malc

I'm assuming the ' cooler ' is the same as sorting out the radiator issue ?

1 hour ago, Bob Karly said:

Hahaha, mate! They were also saying yesterday that Saab is for arrogsnt people! WTF?!? I do reslly start believing it is jealous at its finest. Because there is no logic in thinking that a Lexus is worst than BMW, Mercedes. Worse, as my parent in law said: the Lexus I want is for dumb, idiot and irresponsible people. Wow!

Hi Bob,

2007 Lexus will not make you look like a pimp or gangster in the UK.

Ask your in laws what they are suggesting and if they insist on BMW or Merc or Audi and are happy to buy you one then all good, you will have enough for repairs. If they are not planning on buying the car for their grand children, maybe tell them the Lexus is very safe and reliable and even if it has a big engine it is a petrol and the car is very strong will do more miles than the German brands in more comfort.

At the end of the day it is your money and your safety and you can't go wrong with a large Lexus.

Keep us updated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Karly said:

Dear Lexus Lovers,

after months and months researching to by my first Lexus, I found a beautiful and full option Lexus 460 from 2007. I made the test drive yesterday and I have to say: what a machine. The best car I ever drove. No comparison with some Audis, BMWs and Mercedes I had in my hands. I was very convinced to buy it...until I told my mother and father in law.

My father in law asked how many HP the car had. When I told 381 HP he just FREAKED OUT big, big time. Started saying that such a car is for dumb, idiot and irrational people. He did not even bother to ask me to see the pictures and videos of the car. Not even bothered to hear why I would buy such a car after researching  every day in the last 3 months to find the best, most reliable and safe car for the budget I have. His "argument" is that buying such a car to commute 70 Km a day to work is ridiculous. I was shocked.

My mother in law was at first mad at him because the words he used against me but afterwards said that such a car does not fit to a well succeed young professional and young father (I am 38 and 2 small kids). That such car is for old guys with rolex. Then they said I was just waiting for: that in Germany (yes, we live in Germany although I am not german; they are) having such big cars is bad perceived by others. Like, it is car for guys from third world countries coming to Germany, for pimps, show-offs and so on. That in town people would find very strange and would make thoughts. What would my colleagues at work think  of me. When I asked then what car would "fit" to me, my father in law said it was not his task to tell that (even because he is ignorant in this topid)  and my mothe in law said that a BMW would be way better ignoring the fact that they are money pits.

I was shocked, big, big time and my day was destroyed. It felt like being bashed and considered a low life for choosing for my dream car. Important fact: my wife was totally against having a Lexus mainly because of the fuel consumption, but she was amazed after the test drive. Like, wow!

Sorry for writting such a long and personal case here, but I would really like to listen if you guys also had the same experience. If Lexus is really so bad seen in Europe/Germany and having one is related to bad things, like being a ignorant pimp.

I really don't bother what other thinks of me as long they don't pay my bills. Because I know people buy money pits like BMWs and Mercedes because of status and not because they are good. But boy, oh, boy I was shaked. 

Thanks guys

Hi Bob,

Have a look at this link: 

The car is 20 years old and looks in a very good shape. Maybe you can show it to your in laws