Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Happy new Lexus RX 400h owner!

Greetings, from slightly northeast (Sweden, land of vikings and such), just figured I'd make one of these fairly pointless posts ^^

I've found that this forum offers vastly more in regards of useful information than the Swedish equivalency, and thus here I am! I've already read and learnt a ton from crawling here the past few days. 🙂 

Since me and the mrs put a second tiny human on this earth recently, and figured it was about time to move upwards size wise from our Audi A4 Avant (2006), we bought a lovely Lexus RX 400h Executive (2008) about 3 weeks ago. So far, I couldn't be happier, it's simply a tremendous drive as well as a joy to look at, and I find myself making all sorts of excuses just to take it for a spin. 😉 

It also works tremendously well in fairly large amounts of snow (on snow tires, since that's legally required around here), which is useful since we live on a mountain, in the middle of a forest, on a dirt road. I must say that it carries itself very well indeed, compared to our Quattro Audi.

The project of the past two or three days has been to create an audio DVD with mp3's that was still playable in the Mark Levinson DVD changer (since it doesn't support mp3 dvd's for whatever reason), something that turned out to be rather tricky since the recommended software was last updated in 2009, but somehow I managed! ^^

So, essentially, I just wanted to make my presence known, and thank you all for all the information I've already harvested from this lovely place! Looking forward to more of the same! 😉 

Cheers!

// Kristoffer

Collage.jpg

• Like 8

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad that your RX is performing well in your part of the world.

Thanks for the pics, it looks like you've found yourself a nice family wagon. Enjoy.

• Like 3

Cheers guys! Much appreciated 🙂

41 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Interesting to hear about RX ownership elsewhere in Europe. Are they a common sight in Sweden?

I'd say they're fairly common. Arguably nowhere near Audi/BMW/Volvo/Saab/VW/Toyota/Hyundai, but still not that rare 🙂

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

Sod the car.......congratulations on the addition to the family.......😀

Haha thanks a lot mate. ^^ It's been great so far!

17 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Well done on you becoming a new Mum & Dad and welcome to the forum, I know you will find the forum very informative and friendly.

Thanks a lot, second child, but glorious nonetheless! 😉 And I certainly am, I've learned a ton of stuff already!

Small update, just got an updated map dvd for the navigation system yesterday. Old one was for 2016-2017, so not terribly _old_ by any stretch of the imagination, but there's been a few new roads built on the routes I normally take since then, so figured it was worth the update. Anywho, took like 2 minutes, and worked like a charm right away. 10/10 would do again ^^

While I might opt to use my standalone TomTom system for work (mainly because I can enter routes through my smartphone and what not), it's still nice to have the built-in one freshly updated 🙂

• Like 1

Noticed that there's some new functionality to this version too. Small things such as ETA listed (wasn't before) and the fact that I can enter destinations while driving now too.

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome. Only been here myself a matter of months, having acquired a 2006 400h. Gradually getting things "up to spec" - within reason - refurbished wheels, fixed brakes, couple of new tyres, all that sort of stuff. Got compliments from the in-laws. They always buy new cars (Audi or Land Rover with good Mondeo as a run around), so compliments from someone on a much higher budget really welcome!

I think a headlight lens refurbishment is my next thing... UV damage, I think... Not exactly uncommon issue.

Anyway, enjoy!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Farnham Dave said:

Welcome. Only been here myself a matter of months, having acquired a 2006 400h. Gradually getting things "up to spec" - within reason - refurbished wheels, fixed brakes, couple of new tyres, all that sort of stuff. Got compliments from the in-laws. They always buy new cars (Audi or Land Rover with good Mondeo as a run around), so compliments from someone on a much higher budget really welcome!

I think a headlight lens refurbishment is my next thing... UV damage, I think... Not exactly uncommon issue.

Anyway, enjoy!

Make sure you let us know how you get on with the headlight refurbishment. Need to do the same on one of our other cars (2005 Mini Cooper), but I have not yet been brave enough to start it.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:00 PM, genkakuzai said:

Greetings, from slightly northeast (Sweden, land of vikings and such), just figured I'd make one of these fairly pointless posts ^^

I've found that this forum offers vastly more in regards of useful information than the Swedish equivalency, and thus here I am! I've already read and learnt a ton from crawling here the past few days. 🙂 

Since me and the mrs put a second tiny human on this earth recently, and figured it was about time to move upwards size wise from our Audi A4 Avant (2006), we bought a lovely Lexus RX 400h Executive (2008) about 3 weeks ago. So far, I couldn't be happier, it's simply a tremendous drive as well as a joy to look at, and I find myself making all sorts of excuses just to take it for a spin. 😉 

It also works tremendously well in fairly large amounts of snow (on snow tires, since that's legally required around here), which is useful since we live on a mountain, in the middle of a forest, on a dirt road. I must say that it carries itself very well indeed, compared to our Quattro Audi.

The project of the past two or three days has been to create an audio DVD with mp3's that was still playable in the Mark Levinson DVD changer (since it doesn't support mp3 dvd's for whatever reason), something that turned out to be rather tricky since the recommended software was last updated in 2009, but somehow I managed! ^^

So, essentially, I just wanted to make my presence known, and thank you all for all the information I've already harvested from this lovely place! Looking forward to more of the same! 😉 

Cheers!

// Kristoffer

Welcome Kris.

• Like 1

I've used the AG kit before (drill, pads, polish, all that) but recently tried the ArmorAll headlight restorer from Halfords on my 9-5. The lenses were yellow when I collected it. Two wipes and a sealant. Amazing difference and thoroughly recommended.

• Like 1

No, just a good wax polish.......they will need doing again in a year or so time, but it’s easy and a lot cheaper (and less risky) than buying one of the abrasive pad kits.

• 6 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 10:40 AM, Farnham Dave said:

I was planning on using a professional restorer, rather than DIY. Quoted £80, which I'm sure is more than doing it myself, but I'm very wary of not getting it just right.

Finally got around to doing this. Used Tintex in Portsmouth. Price was below £80, and includes application of fresh lacquer. I'm very impressed with the results, and hope (indeed, expect) that they will last for years to come.

I've attached a picture for the curious.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

Interesting, I just used original T-Cut on my RX300 lamps, came up clear as new.........

But have to been relacqured? As I understand it, you'll be removing another layer of plastic in a year or two and so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farnham Dave said:

But have to been relacqured? As I understand it, you'll be removing another layer of plastic in a year or two and so on.

I doubt the new results would last even a year if no UV-resistant clear coat is used.

3 hours ago, Farnham Dave said:

No, not ever protected them after polishing apart from a good layer of ordinary wax/sealer, they lasted each time maybe three years before they started to look no longer crystal clear (certainly not "misty"), don't worry about the amount of surface you remove, it's T-Cut not an angle grinder!