Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Top Gear....does anyone bother watching it anymore?

superatticman

Have given the latest incarnation a try but found it pretty difficult to get along with. Not quite sure why but it just doesn't connect with me anymore. Not sure they are doing loads wrong although the German lady had the same effect that Jar Jar Binks did in the Star Wars prequels. Ie bloody irritating. 

Not sure the total change of Guard is responsible either as the final days of Jezza and co were getting tedious in my opinion. Too many smutty, juvenile jokes and a presumption that the average viewer is 15 years of age.

Think this show peaked around ten years ago if you ask me. 

I used to actually prefer it when they reviewed cars a bit more rather an messing around in or reviewing supercars that the majority of us will never own. 

• Like 2

Recorded it watched it later for 5 mins, found it infantile and tedious to waste any more of my life on it.

Why do they insist on having a washed-up American actor as the main presenter because as the world knows already Americans know nothing about cars?

• Like 1

Actually I've really warmed to the relaxed manner of Matt's presenting and think it's kinda got a bit of its mojo back, particularly after Evans.  Sad to see Leblanc go after this series.

As for the grand tour..  it feels tired and dated.

Personally, I think the pinicle of Clarkson, may and Hammonds shows was the top gear special to the north pole.

I watched it last night, I think I got used to presenters now and especially since Evans left I think the program is not bad. A shame they don't do more reasonably priced cars on show as they used to.

• Like 1

I haven't watched it for many years.

It's a shame we can't have a real programme about cars, much like Top Gear used to be 20yrs ago.

I remember when the satellite boxes used to be analogue, there was a German car programme I watched occasionally.

I say "watched", as I don't speak German, but that was very much like the Top Gear of old. Interesting and informative.

Not a comedy programme.

• Like 1

Last time I watched was when Clarkson and co went to Argentina and ruined it for UK people to safely drive through that country at any time in the future   ....  by being arseholes in upsetting those poor families with lost members who died in the Falklands war :Jumpy:

AND that was a journey that I really really wanted to do in a Ls400 too

Malc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew888 said:

Devils advocate - I don't find The Grand Tour engaging either?! Too scripted imo

I watched a Top Gear being filmed when they "raced" the Typhoon with the Bugatti. Kept having to alter the plan to get a faked close finish. Cars are really slow :lol1:

I think the Top Gear magazine caters for road tests of more affordable vehicles. However I used to enjoy their car reviews back in the day. I was around 17 when the gave the Toyota/Lexus V8 Soarer a quick road test. I remember being blown away by how futuristic it all was. And then being massively disappointed that it would never make the UK forecourts as an official release. 

1 hour ago, Andrew888 said:

Bring back Chris Goffey and WIlliam Wollard lol *old age alert*

It was about cars then, used to really enjoy it.  Vividly remember the glass of water on the engine !

It's become an entertainment programme for Sun readers with a central theme based around cars.  Nothing to do with cars any more.

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

On the subject of the magazine, I think that CAR is by far the best motoring publication. This is, of course, a matter of personal choice.

If youre old like me Fast Lane and Performance Car were the best I've read.. Thats how I got into cars at a very young age as my uncle used to give me his copies when he was finished with them.

5 hours ago, malcolmw said:

On the subject of the magazine, I think that CAR is by far the best motoring publication. This is, of course, a matter of personal choice.

Back in the 80s CAR was very alternative in its views which certainly made me buy it. 

16 hours ago, Andrew888 said:

Bring back Chris Goffey and WIlliam Wollard lol *old age alert*

At least it waasn't a comedy show back then.  5th Gear is a little better, but not much.

If they did ever get back to reviewing cars, everything would still have to be compared to a BMW or the three pointed swastica.

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried to like the current series, but most of the stuff they do has been done before (buying old luxury cars and ending with a race? Wow, how very 1997 Clarkson) and as others have said the focus on supercars is tired.

Having said that, as presenters Rory Reid is very good and I quite like Matt Leblanc too. Chris Harris grates though. He may be a good driver but his presenting style is awful imho.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...