Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Think I've killed My Car :C(

when replacing the Battery I think that the polarity might have very briefly been reversed (for a fraction of a second) I'm now getting some very odd results and can't start the car.

when new Battery connected, alarm activated and was silenced by key fab.

Central locking doesn't work

key fob recognised first press is normal

Display says press brake pedal to start

Second press of start (no brake) triggers diags as normal

Pressing brake and start switches off car

Hazard lights work- Indicators from stick don't.

Full beam works, lights fro m stick dont

doors and seats dont work

Mirrors and seats dont work

hi-fi doesn't work

Replaced 2 blown 30A fuses 5&7

How do I get to fuses 10 to 19?

Are there any drivers side fuses or important fuses in the passenger foot well?

HELP PLEASE!!

Thanks.

If you have exposed your car to reverse polarity from an incorrectly fitted Battery then I'm sure that this problem has been discussed before and I recall that there is a fuse/link in the engine compartment fuse box that needs checking.

Do a search using key words for this problem as I'm sure it is quite fixable. ( searching myself now!)

paul m.

Addendum, I suggest you also check out the US Lexus owners site ClubLexus as they have a hell of a lot more IS's on the road than 'here' and casting no aspersions they tend to mis-connect batteries a lot more!

It might have been the site where I read about the Fuse/link actually!

paul m.

10 hours ago, Texas said:

If you have exposed your car to reverse polarity from an incorrectly fitted battery then I'm sure that this problem has been discussed before and I recall that there is a fuse/link in the engine compartment fuse box that needs checking.

Do a search using key words for this problem as I'm sure it is quite fixable. ( searching myself now!)

paul m.

Quite likely. Had that happen on a IS200 many years ago, when a friend connected his jump leads wrong way round.

A right PITA to get the offending (bolted in) fuse out (think it was something like 30 or 60amp??) it was a large 20mm square or so with a clear view window on the top, from where I could see it was fried..

Bit like this I've cadged from t' web             mainfuse002.jpg~original

The snag was it was bolted through from underneath with a base fixing much like you can see in the background of the pic.

If I remember correctly had to virtually remove the fuse box in the engine compartment to get at the fixings for the fuse. The fuse could only be sourced from Lexus back then.

I was spitting feathers for many days after!!!

Thanks everyone, I have made a small amount of progress...

I have located the 3rd fuse box (Driver's side, behind the bonnet release)

Unfortunately as the seats are electric I can't move them back to get access to the cabin fuse boxes !

More importantly, having spoken with a helpful Lexus dealer, the suspicion is now on the "Block Assembly Fusable Link".

I can't really see for myself if these have blown (it seems a strange design, I'm sure that there's a good reason for it...) I can't really get a photo with good focus, but it does look a bit like these are blown.

I have  a local garage coming round to have a look to confirm. Hopefully if it is, they can order and replace, otherwise it looks like I'll have to get it towed to a Lexus dealer.

DSC03563.JPG

DSC03563 (Cropped).jpg

This link may help you. Take a look at the photos a fair way into the post. There are some showing a blown fusible link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/692433-diy-fusible-link-removal.html

and here

https://www.my.is/forums/f221/anyone-had-problem-starting-is250-after-new-battery-replacement-564050/

Hi I feel sure the fusible link is the problem ,with regard to your new Battery  the picture shows Halfords HCB 005 ; according to the Halford application list it should be HB 030 which is 550 cca 68 amp compared to 510 cca 62 amp of this one .If this was recommended by Halfords then I would challenge them to have it changed because as pointed out by Normski it is too small .The Bosch mentioned ; also used by me is 630cca 70amp hr  for the same size Battery    Dave

But note that the Bosch S4 026 068 will not be reccomended by any retailers as fitting the 250 series for some reason but believe us it does ( temperature sensor is a bit tight!) and I do think you should have as large a capacity as will physically fit with all the electrical toys the IS has got fitted!

Can be got today for £80!!!

Pic Added

paul m.

image.png

Thanks again everyone. Some more progress. firstly it is not a new Battery, it was being reinstalled after being charged in the home. It is the same type that was in there previously. I dont know why that particular ''model" was picked, but it would have been by Halfords about 8 (?) years ago. Something about being Ca ralther than Pb rings a bell. I am intrigued that the new official spec in higher. The Battery does  drain to flat if the car is not driven for a few weeks. Today we located a blown section in the linear fuse and by shorting across that fuse We could start the car. Whilst   Started, all appeared normal although if the short is then removed the car continued running but all previous defects returned. Technically I think this could be sorted by fixing some rated fuse w ire across the break but the likely outcome will be a whole new linear fuse box...

• Like 1

So you have confirmed problem area and by 'by-passing' temporararly can 'fix' the problem, just need to fix it properly now as I don't think the car will be so forgiving if exposed to reverse polarity again without it's proper protection in place.

And yes, a reduced size Battery will struggle in this car with all the toys.

Note; when new this car would have been fitted with a FLA ( Flooded Lead Acid) Standard Battery.( Panasonic)

paul m.