Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Future ES with BMW engine?

Zotto

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Linked article is talking about the IS not ES?

Can't think why Toyota/Lexus would use a competitor's engine when they have a perfectly good V6 of their own?

The NA V6 is getting old in the tooth. They'll be wanting to use BMWs 3.0l 6 cylinder just to cut down on costs of developing their own 3.0l turbocharged V6. 

Only issue will be reliability so I doubt it would actually happen, despite toyota supra having the Z4 engine

I have this engine in my car. Its a lovely engine without doubt and was enough for me to migrate back to BMW.

To put this in an IS would be the perfect package but knowing Lexus I doubt it would come on sale in the UK .

Reliability wise, its been proven extremely reliable but knowing German tech I doubt I will be able to say the same ten years down the line. The only issues of note have been a slight loss of coolant reported and reports of the oil filter disintegrating (some blaming BMW service intervals for this) . People are modding the hell out of it, tracking it and generally abusing and it seems to be holding up well. 

I thought Toyota took a risk on using it in the Supra but only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

I believe the Toyota version has various revisions over the BMW version, which should benefit their models in the long term.

I happened to watch this video a couple of weeks ago:

On 2/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, NemesisUK said:

Don't they already have a twin turbo V6, in the LC500?

The LC500 hybrid is a 3.5 V6, but no turbo. Rumours are that the LC-F will have a 4.2 V6 Twin Turbo, but who knows.

So the IS isn’t moving to a transverse Mount platform. That’s good news. The not so good news is other than the 300h from the current one, the 5.0 v8 and the V6 turbo (bet that’s a peach) there isn’t a huge range of engines to choose from.

They could well use chocolate bmw engines

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk