Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight washer system - fault finding?

So, first thing to sort out on my 2010 GS450h - pressing the button to wash the headlights achieves precisely nothing! All I've checked so far is the fuse. I'll pull the bumper cover off at the weekend and see what there is to be seen, but any tips in advance of that would be appreciated... What's most likely to have gone wrong? Switch? Pump? Blocked hose? Actuators?

One specific question: is there anything electronic in the system other than the pump? I.e. are the actuators that raise the washer jets 'powered' by water pressure or is there more to it than that?

Any input much appreciated!

32 minutes ago, scudney said:

Don't forget the headlights need to be on for the headlight washers to work just incase you didn't take that into account 

Thanks, but unfortunately I did already know that - shame as it would have been about the easiest 'fix' you could imagine!

If I remember correctly when lights are on first use of windscreen should also trigger headlamp one - you could use that to check the button.

Next I would press the button and listen if pump is starting. If yes check pipe work.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hangie said:

If I remember correctly when lights are on first use of windscreen should also trigger headlamp one - you could use that to check the button.

Next I would press the button and listen if pump is starting. If yes check pipe work.

Thanks. The former is an easy test at least! I did try the latter, but couldn't hear anything from where I was stood reaching in through the window to press the button. I need an assistant for next time, but that's what kids are for, right?!

Anyone know whether they should operate with the car 'on' but not 'ready'?

I'm having the same problem with my (new to me) 2007 rx400h. I've yet to find and check the fuse. Filled the windscreen washer fluid to full. Headlights on and nothing, can't hear any pump noises either.

9 minutes ago, DJ Les said:

I'm having the same problem with my (new to me) 2007 rx400h. I've yet to find and check the fuse. Filled the windscreen washer fluid to full. Headlights on and nothing, can't hear any pump noises either.

The owner's manual will tell you where the fuse is... Not that it would 'fix' whatever had caused the fuse to blow in the first place, just worth checking in the first instance.

4 hours ago, Hangie said:

Nope... So that should rule out the button at least - unless there's more than one fault of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this: the pump wasn't plugged in and (/because) the pipes were in a right state! Someone has had issues with it in the past and bodged/failed to fix it. Not a drama as I knew about the problem when I got the car, but (following the latest rule changes) would have become a MOT issue this year. Tested to confirm the actuators/jets are ok, and I now have the bits to rectify the rest. Frustratingly, I couldn't find any 10mm I/D pipe anywhere local to deal with it there and then.

For reference (as per my question above), the actuators are indeed 'powered' by water pressure.

• Like 1