Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Poor radio reception on RX 450h

I've recently moved from an IS 300 to an older (2009) RX 450h mainly because I prefer the higher seating position. The IS had DAB radio, the RX does not and the reception is poor. Anybody else had this? And does anyone know an inexpensive fix?

Don't get me started on the mpg either.......

I love it though!

2 hours ago, RodfromCov said:

The IS had DAB radio, the RX does not ...

Check if you have AM DAB button on the left end side of your FM dash button. That will change to DAB if you keep pressing it. There are a lot of videos how to retune your DAB or you can buy something like that:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blufree-Updated-Transmitter-Bluetooth-External-DAB-106/dp/B07DJZX6TC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1550757913&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=car+radio+dab+adapter&psc=1

Hope that helps

25 minutes ago, RodfromCov said:

Hi Nigel, I tried your recommendation, pushed the button till my finger ached but nothing happened unfortunately. The DAB on the button is in a smaller font for some reason. I wondered about that. 

I have the same Advance model and have DAB radio. One press changes from AM and DAB. Have a look on top of the screen when you press the button and it will show if it is on AM or DAB. I am sure you can switch from the mouse as well from the main menu. If you have a Lexus dealer near by, just ask them for help. Or Toyota

8 hours ago, katabrontes said:

I have the same problem on my RX350 (2005).  Very annoying.

My 06 RX350 reception is of very good quality, so your issue may hopefully be easily solved.....it’s first worth checking that both aerial plugs on the back of the radio unit are fully home and the leads undamaged, and that a previous owner has not interfered with or added to the ICE set up. Getting to the back of the unit is straightforward (it has to be for me to do it, and I recently did lol) and checking the aerial plugs which sit on the back on the lh side as you look at it, simple to do.

hth

Michael

• Like 1

DAB was an option on all variants until 2011, except for SE-L and SE-L Premier where they had it as standard.

For vanilla FM, if the reception is poor you may need to look at the antenna itself (wires at the top of the rear screen) or the antenna amplifier.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RodfromCov said:

I've recently moved from an IS 300 to an older (2009) RX 450h mainly because I prefer the higher seating position. The IS had DAB radio, the RX does not and the reception is poor. Anybody else had this? And does anyone know an inexpensive fix?

Don't get me started on the mpg either.......

I love it though!

I very rarely use the DAB radio as it is nowhere as sophisticated as that in my previous IS300h or 2015 GS300h despite having ML. 

Regarding fuel consumption easing back on the loud pedal will help. I have been experimenting with my car. Over the last 2 tankful by driving at 60 on the motorway my mpg has gone from 32mpg to 36mpg. This is accurate as its done tankful to tankful rather than from the car. 

The OP does say that his car doesn't have DAB and that would tally with it being an option until the 2011 models came out, so I'm assuming that the original owner didn't opt for it.

19 hours ago, katabrontes said:

Thank you Michael.  I will look at this.   Do I just reach round the back of the radio or do I need to take some trim off first?

Hi again, there are two bits of trim to come off, and four screws, before you can lift the unit away and look around the back. The aerial connectors are stacked one above the other on the lh side top as you look at the unit. I used these two vids as a guide:

Let me know if you’d like further guidance. Skype or FaceTime can be v helpfup at times like these👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Herbie said:

DAB was an option on all variants until 2011, except for SE-L and SE-L Premier where they had it as standard.

For vanilla FM, if the reception is poor you may need to look at the antenna itself (wires at the top of the rear screen) or the antenna amplifier.

Herbie, unlike later 450s the 350s of 2005/06 vintage have a roof mounted whip aerial. Is this not the FM? I can’t see evidence of a diversity aerial on the rear screen elements......

Or am I not seeing wood for trees, or at least aerials for hrw 😉

thanks

Michael

1 hour ago, Connoisseur said:

Herbie, unlike later 450s the 350s of 2005/06 vintage have a roof mounted whip aerial. Is this not the FM? I can’t see evidence of a diversity aerial on the rear screen elements......

Yes that's right Michael, but the OP's car is an RX450h not a 350.

Thanks to all the responders. My car (a 2009 450h SE) doesn't have DAB fitted or indeed a Mark Levinson system which I've had on previous cars and miss. I'll get the local dealer to have a fiddle on the next service.

Thanks to all 

My 2009 450 SE-L has an antenna on the inside top left hand corner of my windscreen - looks like a couple of strips of copper track. I do not have a external whip aerial

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

My 2009 450 SE-L has an antenna on the inside top left hand corner of my windscreen - looks like a couple of strips of copper track. I do not have a external whip aerial

Do you mean something like this?

dab.thumb.jpg.27010ee4e233afea7cb5e4f56fed5710.jpg

If so, that's an internal DAB aerial. Your FM aerial will be integrated with part of the heated rear window wires as can be seen in this page from the workshop manual:

antenna.thumb.png.f2a5b662e608bf9699e0dedbdc10a8cf.png

On 2/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, olliesgrandad said:

I very rarely use the DAB radio as it is nowhere as sophisticated as that in my previous IS300h or 2015 GS300h despite having ML. 

Regarding fuel consumption easing back on the loud pedal will help. I have been experimenting with my car. Over the last 2 tankful by driving at 60 on the motorway my mpg has gone from 32mpg to 36mpg. This is accurate as its done tankful to tankful rather than from the car. 

I am currently driving a 2018 IS300h while my wheels are refurbished. The standard radio of non ML spec sounds much better than my ML system. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Having review the videos posted by Michael (Connoisseur) I tackled this a few days ago once the set of plastic levers had arrived from eBay.  A bit tricky to get the surround on the gear lever off but once done the rest was very easy.  The upper panel (with cigar lighter) came out very easily after easing the top edge downwards as advised in the video.  The bottom two bolts were easy to find and remove and, fortunately, on mine the top two had been replaced by clips so a sharp pull removed the radio.  The aerials were both quite firmly in their sockets but I eased them out and twisted them back and forth after pushing them back home.  The radio is working well now.  It all went back very easily.

• Like 1