Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Odd noise from rear door

Odd one this, I seem to have developed a rattle/noise (non metallic) it sounds like a loose door card or seat rubbing but I can't see anything and it seems to be coming from the rear passenger side - has anyone had something like that before? 

It does seem a common thing for that rear quarter light rubber to come away.  Can I suggest you try driving with the window on the offending door lowered by a fraction, maybe just 1 or 2mm. If that resolves it then I have another suggestion.

at 13 years young it could possibly be the start of the exhaust heat shield that side beginning to move slightly and setting in train a slight resonance

Malc

just a thought

@The-Acre Had a quick spin and cracking the window slightly seems to have done it (at least the noise seems to have stopped) ideas? I put the window down a few inches then put it back up again and it seems ok (although I have not gone to far yet) 

3 hours ago, BMCWP said:

@The-Acre Had a quick spin and cracking the window slightly seems to have done it (at least the noise seems to have stopped) ideas? I put the window down a few inches then put it back up again and it seems ok (although I have not gone to far yet) 

This is my third LS430 and all of them have had the same minor issue.  The doors start to creak over bumps and poor road surfaces and eventually becomes permanent.  I've even read about it on the US forum.  Mine got very annoying so I rolled all the windows down and cleaned all of the door rubbers, including the areas where the windows slide with wonderwipes (especially up inside where the windows touch at the top)  dried it and gave everything a dose of Autoglym rubber and vinyl care.  It's completely eliminated the noise.  In the past I've tried silicone but it only works for a day or so.  It may well be where your odd noise is coming from.  If I just cracked open my windows the noise would go.

58 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

Ok cheers I'll do that tomorrow or as soon as - I did go around the main door seals with that Gummi Pflege stuff but not the internal rubber - I'll see how that goes 🙂 

Gummi Pflege is as good, if not better.  Give it all a really good clean first and try to get it in the top groove where the window shuts, I really am amazed at how it silenced it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1