Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

OBD2 port not working

So I finally found somewhere that can supply aftermarket remote keys for a Mk2 Harrier.

I tried to program one today and Techstream kept saying "key registration failed", i later learned that they'd sent me a key without a transponder chip so it was never going to work. But then my Techstream cable mysteriously stopped working. At first I thought it was something to do with the laptop, drivers or the fact that it was running in vmware, but after installing windows natively and reinstalling all the software and hitting the same issue I started to wonder. Plugged my generic Autel scan tool in and same issue - it powers up but fails to connect.

So now I'm a bit concerned that my chinese Techstream adapter clone may have damaged the ECU. Hopefully it's just a wiring fault but.. still worrying. I was looking for the fuse box earlier but as there's power to the socket I don't think it's going to be a fuse.

The car starts and runs and everything works as far as I can tell, the only issue is ODB2 comms.

55 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

So now I'm a bit concerned that my chinese Techstream adapter clone may have damaged the ECU

I doubt that very much to be honest. These things sell in their hundreds, even thousands, and I've never heard of one destroying a car ECU before. Of course, all electronic equipment, be it a TV, a cell phone, computer or whatever can go faulty at any time but I wouldn't necessarily jump straight to it being the fault of the miniVCI cable.

Hmmm not looking good. I tested voltage across all the pins on the connector:

4  - 0v

7  - 10.21v

9  -  0.02v

12 -  9.99v

13  - 9.99v

15  - 4.5v

16  - 11.3v

The Battery was a bit low which is why pin 16 was only reading 11.3, but this all looks roughly correct and even with the engine running it still won’t talk to my scan tool. I’ve got another one coming from amazon today just in case but I can’t see an obvious wiring problem.

Ok so today the car went to a local auto electrician. They too were unable to talk to it initially, but after moving and testing all of the OBD2 pins they were able to get into it and run a full diagnostic. They discovered 22 communication errors logged in the ECU, which seems like a lot, and also some fault codes related to the aircon which is odd since it works perfectly.

They said you have to be very careful with anything that can go into the systems of the car further than a generic code reader, and said that with the price of Lexus ECUs it would be sensible not to mess with non-legit Techstream anymore. So I think I'll be binning that cable.

Does anyone know if this programming sequence works for programming a new transponder key without a cable?

http://bitsofmymind.com/2016/02/11/how-to-program-a-new-toyota-transponder-key/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links