Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rust on chassis leg

Just now, reeac said:

I'm still not sure of the location. Is it below and slightly in front of the air filter?

I finally managed to match it up - it is the drivers side (UK car) at the very front of the engine bay - in the original image the front of the car is the right hand side of the image - so the left side is the air filter housing and the right side is the plastic cover over the headlight. It's a narrow gap (a few inches) looking down to the chassis frame.

• Like 1

2015 model, 45,000 miles garaged every night. I'll put some rust treatment on in summer. Cleaned it off after taking pic and not as bad as it looks on the picture, but definitely needs attention.

20190302_151513.jpg

Mine looks similar to yours Jay. 2013 F Sport.

What treatment can we apply?

What type of oil or grease should we put on these sorts of things to prevent future issues?

I actually used ATF because that was what was in the oil can that came to hand. I think that any oil or grease would be equally effective although rather muckier than Waxoyl which dries by evaporation to leave a more solid coating. That particular location is pretty obscure so you're not going to get any clothing soiled by contact.  When I restored a sports car in 1981-3 I smeared the chassis, petrol tank, suspension and various other bits with Waxoyl after brush painting them (with black Dulux gloss) and everything's still in excellent condition.

• Thanks 1

Yep, same on mine 2013 110k miles, not like much rust but definitely moisture trap, could be a design fault if so many are having this issue. Ive replaced the metal bracket and bolt as those had some surface rust and cleaned the sand/mud off the area. Might aswell put some extra anti corrosion treatment on that panel to prevent future rust issues. 

5 hours ago, shine668555 said:

Yep, same on mine 2013 110k miles, not like much rust but definitely moisture trap, could be a design fault if so many are having this issue. Ive replaced the metal bracket and bolt as those had some surface rust and cleaned the sand/mud off the area. Might aswell put some extra anti corrosion treatment on that panel to prevent future rust issues. 

Great idea. What bracket did you use shine?

Mines currently being inspected by Lexus Plymouth, they are going to report back to Lexus About having this done as a warranty claim. I’m guessing it will be a waiting game.

I already have a plan for mine if the claim Is rejected, I’m guessing there’s a weekends work there to rectify that to the point where the rust is treated and won’t return easily, perversely I wouldn’t be fussed if they did reject to claim so I can do the job myself

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Further thoughts on this topic: has anyone noticed similar corrosion on the other side of the car? One assumes that structurally the car is symmetrical because of the front suspension so there may be a similar water trap ...difficult to see because of the big black relay/ fuse box which sits on top. I can't see any corrosion there on my car but then it has none on the other ( driver) side so it's not a good example to judge by.

• Like 1

Mine was quite dirty on the drivers side with a brown sandy dust but not rusty but there is obviously dirt getting trapped there - had a good look at the other side but that was clear of dirt - mirror image of the chassis leg but with the other components around it maybe there is better air flow to keep the area free of dirt. I have a 64 reg with 71K miles.

3 hours ago, reeac said:

Further thoughts on this topic: has anyone noticed similar corrosion on the other side of the car? One assumes that structurally the car is symmetrical because of the front suspension so there may be a similar water trap ...difficult to see because of the big black relay/ fuse box which sits on top. I can't see any corrosion there on my car but then it has none on the other ( driver) side so it's not a good example to judge by.

I have checked the passenger side and that is clear of rust, this issues only seems to be drivers side (rhd)

All credit to Lexus Plymouth they are doing there best to help, however I'm not left with much optimism as they keep coming back to the fact that the car is used as a taxi and Lexus warranty doest cover commercial use. 

As part of the inspection they checked all the paint thicknesses and they are sure the car still has its original paint, that helps a lot in the claim.

its a waiting game now, like I said earlier if it gets rejected then ill just do it myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayw13702 said:

All credit to Lexus Plymouth they are doing there best to help, however I'm not left with much optimism as they keep coming back to the fact that the car is used as a taxi and Lexus warranty doest cover commercial use. 

As part of the inspection they checked all the paint thicknesses and they are sure the car still has its original paint, that helps a lot in the claim.

its a waiting game now, like I said earlier if it gets rejected then ill just do it myself.

Well I'm sure if everybody with this issue would report to lexus they would do something about it. As so far seems every rhd car has this. Found photos of mine when i first saw it, offside sorta rusty, nearside clean, maybe just because theres allsorts of stuff in there. Mind my car is from London nowhere near sea. Even underbody hasnt got anywhere that much surface rust apart from exhaust.

20190305_175511.jpg

20190305_175519.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to buy a used Lexus IS 300h (2014), this Friday (tomorrow) I will see it for the first time. Could somebody please share pictures where exactly it is located so that I can check if it has the rust? I'm a total newbie (not just to Lexus, but to cars in general, this will be my first car if I go for it), so if you tell me it's close to the air filter, as mentioned by somebody else above, it won't help me much 🙈

If anybody was kind enough to share marked photos (starting with how to get to see the photos above) that would be great!

I'm about to buy a used Lexus IS 300h (2014), this Friday (tomorrow) I will see it for the first time. Could somebody please share pictures where exactly it is located so that I can check if it has the rust? I'm a total newbie (not just to Lexus, but to cars in general, this will be my first car if I go for it), so if you tell me it's close to the air filter, as mentioned by somebody else above, it won't help me much [emoji85]

If anybody was kind enough to share marked photos (starting with how to get to see the photos above) that would be great!

The air filter housing is situated on the drivers side of the car if you are right hand drive and passenger side if you are left hand drive, it’s a black box that’s approx 20cms square.

Find the front of the air filter housing and look downwards, you will then see the chassis leg and inner wing, it is here that you will find the rust if you have any

It’s not an underbonnet picture but if your looking in the area of the white circle then you are in the right place

1cd70fd8177e0ad12c9b7c6722fafe99.jpg

Hope that helps

If you look at the second photo in the first contribution to this thread you will see a letter H stamped into the bodywork. My car also has this stamping and that's how I identified the location for sure. It's not a very pronounced stamping so you might need to clean away any dust etc to make it visible.

7 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

The air filter housing is situated on the drivers side of the car if you are right hand drive and passenger side if you are left hand drive, it’s a black box that’s approx 20cms square.

Find the front of the air filter housing and look downwards, you will then see the chassis leg and inner wing, it is here that you will find the rust if you have any

It’s not an underbonnet picture but if your looking in the area of the white circle then you are in the right place

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's very helpful, thank you! 

8 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Hope that helps

What is the sorcery? Transparent looking bonnet.

Photoshop?

What is the sorcery? Transparent looking bonnet.
Photoshop?

Yes, a photo shop.
Easy to do if you know how to use photo shop. Take a picture of the car with the Bonnet open, then the same picture with the Bonnet closed, crop the engine bay detail that you want in your finished picture, save it as a layer and then import that layer into the picture of the car with the Bonnet down.
From there all you need to do is adjust the transparency level to allow the desired affect

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So the car went in 5th March for inspection and still Lexus haven’t made a decision on whether to repair or not.

That’s now close to 6 weeks and in reality what I would consider poor customer service, I spent 15 years working in the trade on lesser brands and they were able to make decisions in hours normally or days if it was a little complicated.

My expectations of Lexus now are low, if/when they reject the claim I will get the leg repaired to a good standard and then sell the car, as far as I’m concerned Lexus have lost me not only a a customer but as an advocate of their products

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another month has passed and still Lexus have done very little with this [emoji35]

Spoke to the dealers today, because it’s non cosmetic the warranty claim is being referred to Japan for authority. I must admit I was very surprised by this but have to believe what I’m being told by the dealers.

I spent many years in dealerships within their workshops and have never know such a long, drawn out process for something that appears to be quite simple to resolve.

My next step is to try and talk direct to Lexus GB and see if they can shed any light on this. However I don’t hold out much hope there

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Another month has passed and still Lexus have done very little with this emoji35.png

Spoke to the dealers today, because it’s non cosmetic the warranty claim is being referred to Japan for authority. I must admit I was very surprised by this but have to believe what I’m being told by the dealers.

I spent many years in dealerships within their workshops and have never know such a long, drawn out process for something that appears to be quite simple to resolve.

My next step is to try and talk direct to Lexus GB and see if they can shed any light on this. However I don’t hold out much hope there

Some years ago i did some work for Honda R&D department. They wanted additional work doing on the job (nearly £4,000 worth) and the additional materials came to £14 . The extra labour was £500 which was authorised at Swindon BUT the £14 for materials (some polythene bags) had to be authorised in Japan .......

On 3/22/2019 at 9:01 AM, Jayw13702 said:

Yes, a photo shop.
Easy to do if you know how to use photo shop. Take a picture of the car with the Bonnet open, then the same picture with the Bonnet closed, crop the engine bay detail that you want in your finished picture, save it as a layer and then import that layer into the picture of the car with the Bonnet down.
From there all you need to do is adjust the transparency level to allow the desired affect

I’m not very good with computers however I know about photo shops......I always take my films there for developing and printing.😀

AE8D7EC2-E0A8-4044-A886-1AEA1796D431.png

• Like 1

Had a phone call from the dealers today, Lexus Japan have decided that they will not warrantee the vehicle.

So I questioned what they meant by that statement and quite literally Lexus have withdrawn the warranty on my car as it is being used as a taxi.

So, I have a five year old car with no body corrosion warranty and no warranty on the hybrid Battery or drivetrain even though it’s recently had a hybrid help chat. Toyota on the other hand will happily honour any warranty but they keep with their vehicles if it is being used as a taxi. When I pointed this out I was told that Lexus policy is different from Toyota.

And the final kicker that the dozen dealer delivered was that Lexus could sell me a taxi warranty that would cover my vehicle if I chose to spend the money

I told them very politely but neither myself nor my vehicle would be darkening the door ever again

• Confused 1