Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sun was out, so time to start crossing some jobs off the list.

So, the sun was shining today, so time to start getting those small jobs done.

Completed today, a transmission box oil cooler (I pondered over fitting a seperate cooler, and came to the conclusion that the pro's outweighed the cons)

Fitted a new serpentine belt.  Wow, I have never fitted one as easy as on the LS, it's a max 3 min job, wonder how much a dealer would have charged me for this?

Swapped a wheel for my spare, as tyre on was not in the best condition, but will do as a spare for now, until I can warrent a full matching set (have only had the car a few month).

Tried to adjust the handbrake while the rear wheel was off, but could not figure it out today, so a job for another sunny Sunday, along with trying to fix the radio as it does not work at all, sort the speakers out and changing the timing belt when the weather improves as not a job I want to rush if it looks like rain. 

• Like 1

Dave, could we have some details of your trans oil cooler please, any photos or components used?

I will not be the only one interested in how you have dealt with this thorny problem.

Well done grasping a nettle I have shied away from.

9 minutes ago, GrahamG said:

Dave, could we have some details of your trans oil cooler please, any photos or components used?

I will not be the only one interested in how you have dealt with this thorny problem.

Well done grasping a nettle I have shied away from.

I will see if I can get some pictures posted up.  Took about 4 hours all in including coffee. 

12 minutes ago, 6500RPM said:

I will see if I can get some pictures posted up.  Took about 4 hours all in including coffee. 

Did you manage to find a cooler that took 10mm hose, and how many rows does it have?  I seem to remember the one I did a few years ago had 13 but when I took the radiator apart I noticed how tiny the original cooler was, probably only 60mm high.

4 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Did you manage to find a cooler that took 10mm hose, and how many rows does it have?  I seem to remember the one I did a few years ago had 13 but when I took the radiator apart I noticed how tiny the original cooler was, probably only 60mm high.

Yes, 10mm fittings, it was this one.  

Overall size: 13.60" (Length [including piping]) x 7.50" (Height) x 0.75" (Width)
Core Size: 9.88" (Length) x 7.50" (Height) x 0.75" (Width)
Inlet / outlet: 6 AN (0.375")

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-6-Row-Aluminum-Remote-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Auto-Manual-Radiator-Converter/163290545312?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave, what was the colour of the fluid, how black was it? Any burnt smell? How many miles on the car?

Does your car have an ATF dip stick? The face lift model does not.

Bet you wish you had not boasted about your work on the car now you have all these nuisance questions.

Just checked, and the fluid is dark, but has no smell to it.  Its the facelift model so no dipstick. Car has done 85K miles. 

I bought 5m of pipe, so I had plenty of length, I worked out where I was putting the radiator, and the routing of the pipes, so I knew what length I needed, then marked the pipes for cutting.  I then filled the pipes and radiator with fluid and clamped the pipes off where I was going to be cutting.  Once everything was in place it was a case of quickly pulling the old hoes off, and putting the new ones already pre-filled on, loosing as little fluid as possible.  I cant have lost more than a few ml (I did expect it to come flooding out, but it didnt). 

Pictures below.

6581-FF52-C8-D4-4083-8-DDE-B37716969-F4-B7718-FBC-DE05-421-D-99-AF-7406-BA79-E331-EFB2177-29-F5-44-BA-AD31-F12-D32181-A9584442-DE-F635-4-D79-8077-6-C261-F970-D6

A job well done!  Filling with fluid first answered my next question "how did you refill it"  When I replaced my radiator recently only a tiny amount was lost, probably less than half an egg cup.

17 minutes ago, GrahamG said:

Looks like full marks to me.

Thanks for taking the trouble to provide all this information.

Have you considered renewing the ATF? 

I have considered it, but it is way down on the list of jobs to do.  I firstly need to replace a parking sensor as the bleeping is driving me mad, and then the timing belt.

18 hours ago, 6500RPM said:

Forgot to say, I also linked the fluid in and the fluid out connectors on the radiator just incase there ever was a breach of water into it. 

Yes  that is essential as you would lose all the coolant.  I've posted this reminder in previous posts.

• 2 weeks later...

So there was a break in the weather today, so another 2 jobs crossed off the list.  Fitted a new front corner sensor, works fine.  It was a cheapy from eBay, just incase anyone was cautious about buying a none branded one (as I was).  If it stops working in a week, I will update, but so far, so good.

I also adjusted the handbrake, as it was not holding the car even on a slight incline.  I had googles and reviewed this, and they all said to adjust through the hole in the hub at the bottom (6 o'clock).  I could not find the adjustment, so ended up removing the hub (easy job, 4 mins). So just for future reference for anyone else wanting to do this, it isnt at 6 o'clock on the LS430, it is at 9 o'clock.

All in all, 2 jobs well done, that were not too taxing. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2