Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low Oil Level Warning

Over the weekend my dash has flashed up a warning of low oil level 3 times. Only lasting for a few seconds each time, either whilst stopped at lights or parking up.
I have checked the level and it's full. Car has never needed topping up in it's entire life. Last service was about 7,000 miles ago.

I am thinking the sensor might be on it's way out. Anyone experienced the same issue? Or know how the level is sensed.
I plan to call into Lexus later today to see what they say.

Lexus Coventry were super helpful and friendly as always.
Good news is that the oil level sensor is separate to the oil pressure sensors (of which there is one for engine and one for gearbox). So nothing wrong with the engine or oil system (pump, etc). Bad news is that if it does fail, the sensor is around £240! Plus fitting.
They have never ordered one before, so unlikely it's a common fault. I'm going to monitor it, if it doesn't get worse or fail totally they will clean the sensor during it's next service in a few months. Chances are it's just sticking a little and giving a false reading.