Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

OBD2 scanner recommendation

38 minutes ago, K20FTY said:

Hi folks,

New to Lexus ownership, (2006 IS250 SE) and the forum. Looking for recommendations on a good OBD2 scanner - TIA!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-OBD2-ELM327-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Android-iOS-IPhone-Torque-Auto-Scan-Tool/401620435469?epid=10026998390&hash=item5d8271820d:g:eDkAAOSw4MRbmi2C:rk:1:pf:0

That's what I use with an App called "Car Scanner" (blue & white engine icon) and it's been spot on. I use it with my Iphone, so cannot vouch for Android use.

• Like 1

A very similar (but even cheaper) one which I use and which works on Android with an app 'Torque' - there's a free version and a paid for one (£2.99 I think) which gives more data.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autool-C1-V1-5-Bluetooth-OBD2-EOBD-JOBD-Scanner-Code-Reader-Diagnostic-Tool/112544094038?hash=item1a34269756:g:RRMAAOSwkWNZpRQN:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

These things work brilliantly giving loads of information and work with any OBD11 car. Only engine codes, though.

A 'must-have' for Lexus owners is Tech-Stream - that's a Toyota-specific cable and software which works on Windows (so you need to get your laptop out) - that gives access to lots of information - codes for all the systems on the car and all the settings listed in the handbook which it says are dealer-settable. This is what Lexus dealers use to do a diagnostic scan and for which they charge £80 or more.

Check it out on eBay..

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one chaps, I was looking for ODBII info and you've nailed it.  John, once again you're a source of good info.  😁

I'll look for a Tech-Stream cable for my laptop.  In my old Focus I used a few apps and swapped out the naff black/green Mk2 dash for the far nicer Mk2.5/facelift black/silver dash pod with red displays and programmed it up to match the ECU and keys.  I don't plan anything as drastic with my Lexus as I value it a lot more but it'll be great to get my hands on the hardware and have a look about.

Having to hold down the lock button on the fob while remotely closing the windows I can do without so I'm hoping to change that at least!

• 1 year later...

Onboard Diagnostics 2 or OBD2 is a standardized system in trucks and cars. It’s mainly used for self-diagnostics. The OBD2 software regulates and monitors your car’s main functions. It can send commands to different systems to maintain your car’s overall health. It can also self-correct any anomalies in fuel mixture and vehicle ignition. Code readers, Scan tools these are the main feature to work for our car. In short, OBD2 is your vehicle's built-in self-diagnostic system. Almost all newer cars support OBD2 and most run on CAN (ISO 15765). For older cars, be aware that even if a 16 pin OBD2 connector is present, it may still not support OBD2.