Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Owners' Comments

Mike246

Having read some irritating posts from other(s) who have not driven the '19 ES, let alone owned one, it may be time for a new thread.

Has any member taken delivery of this model and would like to share their first impressions and experiences? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Lexus ES30h on Tuesday as my new company car   fleet lease.

My previous was an IS300h so I was familiar with Lexus and the Hybrid drive.

I've driven it for a few days and have to say I love it and its a huge leap forward.

Much bigger especially length wise. Got it in Sonic titanium with Sandstone tahara. My work budget couldn't run to the extra pack to the base model sadly. (so relatively Poverty spec lol).

Drives fantastic  very solid and smooth  - reassuring. Made to glide along in comfort I would say.

Infotainment much improved. Radio especially DAB loads better than in the IS. Navigation seems better also but the mouse pad is taking some getting used to and seems fiddly with the nav especially - very difficult to zoom in and out without the rotary dial.

Most reviews seem to concentrate on the Takumi so I will concentrate on the base model and the negative info I struggled to find out beforehand.

No auto wipers - (at least I can't find them so far) - not too bothered but seems to be standard on other models so a bit surprising.

Speakers in the back are barely there  hardly any sound can be got out of them  even when putting the fader fully at the back. I mean its OK but again relatively poor given the cost of the car.

Petrol tank capacity has been reduced to 50 litres I believe from my previous IS 300h 66 I think it was. I do drive long distances so will probably be at the fuel station more.

You get power adjust seats in the front including lumbar adjustment but no memory on the base model of course.

Steering wheel is power adjust for reach and height and automatically moves away on entry and exit! Very nice!

Cornering lights included which I did not know about beforehand.

Footwell illumination front and rear  and handle illumination inside and out.

Pop up headlamp washers which are nicer than the IS.

Heated seats are more powerful than the IS - they were a bit feeble in the IS.

Theres loads more interior and boot room than the IS which is what I wanted.

Overall I absolutely love it and keep looking at it and wanting to drive it all the time! Very very impressed and happy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Ged, perhaps you could answer a question a number of people are interested in (Separate Thread "Negotiating for a new ES") for  those of us who have ordered a new ES incl me.

The front twin usb port and cup holder under a flap in front of the gear change lever doesn't allow for the flap to be down if you use one of the  usb ports for a phone or i pod etc.  Poor design really but that aside, can you confirm, as a user,  if the rear passenger usb ports allow you to access the front multimedia screen functions e.g would a smart phone or i pod plugged in to the rear usb socket allow you to use all the controls on the steering wheel etc.   Would assist a few people if you could give us the answer.

Thanks for checking.  Looks like it is does open then unless we find a super slim 90 degree USB cable.  I'll get back to the US guys and verify their USB cable allows the door to be closed.

As anal as it sounds I dropped Lexus a line today and pointed out a few of us who have ordered cars would have liked to be able to have the front usb lid closed when a device is being used, out of sight sort of thing. 

They came back same day and expressed their regret there was something not liked about the design and that my (our) opinions would be passed back to Lexus as feedback on the ES.   We will all live with this  for sure but maybe our cousins over the pond did find a fix with the extension cable you included in the thread.  I think you are right though it will have to be a super slim usb "head" to allow the lid to shut.   My Nano i pod would easily fit in to the cup holder out of sight but not sure an i phone could be tucked away in that space with the lid down.   

It's all becoming a bit funny to spend so much time chatting about a flap made of wood and plastic  but what else would people do while they await arrival of their  new car.  At least discussion answered the point that the rear usb ports are charging points only.     

I'm ok leaving my Iphone out of the space but I'd like it plugged in and with the lid to be able to be closed.  I'd probably just stand the phone up in the other cupholder or in the centre cubby.

Still, I've got 5-6 months to resolve the issue! 🙂

Hi,

I drove an ES today and found I could fit one of these in the usb socket with the lid closed:

image.png.45aa6e701434d47602e546b785ec1e2c.png

The room is limited though, there's a rubber cover on the usb sockets that has to be left open and it catches as the lid closes. It doesn't stop it closing though.

For me it would have been better if they just put them on a panel in the open, I'd find it messier to have to leave the lid open.

Hi Keith, a flash drive wouldn't work for me re: my i pod nano which requires a lead from the usb socket to the i pod.  Transferring digital files to a flash drive would, I think, restrict how I want to use my i pod.    

15 hours ago, spacenase said:

Hi,

I drove an ES today and found I could fit one of these in the usb socket with the lid closed:

The room is limited though, there's a rubber cover on the usb sockets that has to be left open and it catches as the lid closes. It doesn't stop it closing though.

For me it would have been better if they just put them on a panel in the open, I'd find it messier to have to leave the lid open.

Was going to suggest one of those - I use one on my second car, a Dacia Duster.  Only thing to be aware of, is, if the USB port on your PC is tight, use another port or an extension cable as that small plastic grab on the USB stick comes off rather easily (it clips on).

20 hours ago, spacenase said:

Hi,

Presumably you can just remove the rubber cover.  Might not go back on again though but that’s not a problem.

23 hours ago, SH20 said:

As anal as it sounds I dropped Lexus a line today and pointed out a few of us who have ordered cars would have liked to be able to have the front usb lid closed when a device is being used, out of sight sort of thing.  

Good for you Steve. I would have done the same.

I would urge a placard demonstration outside Lexus GB's offices and stay until they promise a fix. If there's time we could do the House of Commons and Boeing's UK offices and maybe they will get their finger out as well.

Habu how would a flash drive Gary posted  a picture of enable you to use an i phone or a device that you would normally plug into a usb port with a cable.

Would blue tooth not cure all our needs to operate devices???    Does pairing a phone not allow for all phone functions to be used via blue tooth???

Like I said Mike, in the great scheme of things the usb/lid thing has become surreal and compared to Boeing's problem we should all consider the bigger issues.  Wouldn't it be good though if Lexus UK do send our feedback to the factory and we all found the usb ports have been lowered when our cars arrive and we  open that stupid lid?   Ha Ha

8 hours ago, Dapprman said:

Was going to suggest one of those - I use one on my second car, a Dacia Duster.  Only thing to be aware of, is, if the USB port on your PC is tight, use another port or an extension cable as that small plastic grab on the USB stick comes off rather easily (it clips on).

Yes, I had one fall apart on me when taking it out, they're not the sturdiest.

I posted the picture to give an idea of the clearance you do have more than as a suggestion for an alternative, although I use a USB key as I figured they are cheaper to replace than an iPod if it gets nicked or heat damaged in the summer.

2 hours ago, Gediredi said:

No - I checked pushed and pulled for my life - nothing there.

The auto wiper function is turned on by the position of the wiper stalk rather than a button on the end. I think it's one down from off as below.

image.png.3471fed400c13d9b55250781fe2e65f9.png

According to the Lexus website, auto wipers are standard on all trim levels.

2 hours ago, SH20 said:

Habu how would a flash drive Gary posted  a picture of enable you to use an i phone or a device that you would normally plug into a usb port with a cable.

Would blue tooth not cure all our needs to operate devices???    Does pairing a phone not allow for all phone functions to be used via blue tooth???

Like I said Mike, in the great scheme of things the usb/lid thing has become surreal and compared to Boeing's problem we should all consider the bigger issues.  Wouldn't it be good though if Lexus UK do send our feedback to the factory and we all found the usb ports have been lowered when our cars arrive and we  open that stupid lid?   Ha Ha

I was stating that the USB cover could be removed which frees up a bit more room whether you’re plugging in a USB cable or, indeed, a flash drive.  I need a cable that I can plug into the USB port and shut the lid.  The American sought cable appears to be able to do that (someone in the states confirmed you can close the lid with this specific cable) and it’s Iphone compatible too. I’ve ordered one so I’ll find out shortly whether my £5 was well spent.  

I personally don’t like BT for music as I prefer the sound via a hard connection particularly if it’s going to be played through the ML setup. But BT is always a fallback option.

1 hour ago, spacenase said:

The auto wiper function is turned on by the position of the wiper stalk rather than a button on the end. I think it's one down from off as below.

image.png.3471fed400c13d9b55250781fe2e65f9.png

According to the Lexus website, auto wipers are standard on all trim levels.

Hi - please look at my pictures below. No Auto position marked on the wiper stalk. Rest position is off - 1 up is swipe 1 down is intermittent according to the selector on the right 2 down is constant wipe 3 down is double speed. I tried the intermittent actually in an underground car park so totally dry and it wiped exactly as the selector on the right in dry conditions.

lexus switxh 2.jpg

lexus switch 1.jpg

According to the brochure, rain sensing windscreen wipers are only standard on the Takumi trim. Needs a tech pack or premium pack add on on ES and FSport trims.  Bonkers!

I'm not overly bothered in some ways but in others its really annoying that this car has Adaptive high beam, Lane assist, Road sign recognition, adaptive cruise control, power heated front seats and electrically adjustable steering wheel for height and reach but NO rain sensing wipers? Seems like a strange thing to skimp on really. Kind of assumed it would be there by default.

34 minutes ago, Gediredi said:

I'm not overly bothered in some ways but in others its really annoying that this car has Adaptive high beam, Lane assist, Road sign recognition, adaptive cruise control, power heated front seats and electrically adjustable steering wheel for height and reach but NO rain sensing wipers? Seems like a strange thing to skimp on really. Kind of assumed it would be there by default.

Totally agree, the spec decisions on the ES are very strange. But then you look across the whole Lexus range currently and the changes to basic trim levels and packs and it is no different. It seems Lexus believe everyone will want to buy a pack add-on.  I assume this has big profitability benefits to them.............

Ged,

Personally I could live without the rain-sensing wipers but this makes your point no less valid.

According to the features list in the brochure you get rain-sensing wipers in the ES300h if you take the optional Premium Pack or on the F-Sport if you take the Tech & Safety Pack. The Tech & Safety Pack is included in the optional Takumi Pack.

Lexus have done themselves no favours in the way they have bundled all their goodies. My beef is that to get the rather desirable 12.3" central area display you have to go to the F-Sport with the Takumi pack as minimum.

Returning to your rain-sensing wipers, they could have included this in the basic model as standard, just like you get on a Ford or a Fiat.

19 minutes ago, Mike246 said:

Ged,

Personally I could live without the rain-sensing wipers but this makes your point no less valid.

According to the features list in the brochure you get rain-sensing wipers in the ES300h if you take the optional Premium Pack or on the F-Sport if you take the Tech & Safety Pack. The Tech & Safety Pack is included in the optional Takumi Pack.

Lexus have done themselves no favours in the way they have bundled all their goodies. My beef is that to get the rather desirable 12.3" central area display you have to go to the F-Sport with the Takumi pack as minimum.

Returning to your rain-sensing wipers, they could have included this in the basic model as standard, just like you get on a Ford or a Fiat.

Indeed, I will not die for the lack of rain sensing wipers! 🙂

but it's an unnecessary niggle really - if you think about it they must have had to design make and stock a separate design of wiper arm and switches and wiper control units just for the purpose of - shall we say "punishing" people who buy the base model without the Premium pack. Surely it would be cheaper for them overall to just include it as you say " just like you get on a Ford or Fiat."

And that's really the part that annoys me - the lack doesn't really bother me its just that it seems a decision to omit them was made as part of an ideology rather than practicality.

Still love the car though!

Wow, mid-size executive car without auto wipers, even BMW and Mercedes are not that mean.

There are similar "choices" across the industry, metallic paint is the obvious one - everyone will want it so make it a chargeable option. There are also the option packs that include a bunch of stuff that you don't necessarily want to get the couple of options you do want.

The website does not list auto wipers in either the Premium Pack or the Tech and Safety Pack, but the one I drove had the heated steering wheel and wireless charger so I guess it had the tech and safety pack. If I was buying one, I'd raise it with Lexus because it is misleading customers.