Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

06 Manual Is250 multiple issues

Hi, I have an 06 is250 with 80k miles on the clock. Since i've owned the car (from 70k) there has been a horrible grinding/rattling noise at idle in neutral that goes away when you press the clutch pedal.

Took the car to lexus and had them diagnose it. I had a flywheel/clutch fitted, Wasn't cheap and thought my problems would be done with. The noise is still there and now i also get a metal on metal rubbing/grinding noise when I pull off. This only happens in first gear or reverse and is starts as you bring your clutch into the biting point. It's intermitant but still horrible and very loud.

Another thing that has gradually got worse since owning the car is a weird rattling noise. I've ran into the cold start rattle and it is very similar. You can hear it as you rev and you can hear a weird rattling sound through the air vents at around 5k -6k revs. Again these are all intermitant and sometimes it drives great and i might actually hit 20mpg smile.gif

Hopefully someone here could shed some light on these problems as i've tried searching but i can't find answers.

That noise you describe sounds like clutch related to me,did they change the release bearing? (I would hope so)

you say only happens in 1st and reverse but is that because you can’t hear it in other gears as engine noise would be higher, have you tried pulling away in 2nd to see if noise still there?

I've checked the invoice from my repairs, bal bearing and rel bearing are both on there so must have been done. Can confirm you can hear the noise in 2nd. Just had new mounts and gaskets for exhaust work and everything else exhaust wise was OK.

On 2/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, seqo said:

I've ran into the cold start rattle and it is very similar. You can hear it as you rev and you can hear a weird rattling sound through the air vents at around 5k -6k revs. 

From description I would say - hydraulic valve lifters. These are known to stick and make such noise. Flushing engine with the oil change helps for me, as well when it starts happening I woudl recommend 6month/6k miles oil changes to avoid issues with those valve lifters. This happens on cold start because there is not enough oil pressure, due to gunked up channels, they run dry and start sticking, over time you can wear them out. 

Had one of lexus's technicians in the car. The rattling noise is suspected to be heatshield clamps and of course the grinding noise didn't happen once when he was in the car. Leaving it with them overnight so they can hear the cold start rattle and hopefully it makes the noise too.

He did say the cold start rattle is normal and isn't doing any damage.

When it comes to the engine, there is definitely ticking going on which i've had mixed opinions about, 1 tech said it was normal injector noise and the other thought carbon buildup. I cleaned out the air box and it had a few leaves in it, since then i haven't heard the noise throught the vents.

• 4 weeks later...

Had exhaust clamps changed and I still get the grinding noise, had a mechanic not from lexus hear it and I think he thought it sounded like the master cylinder wasn't fitted straight if that makes sense to anyone.

Pretty sure it was around £1500 to have clutch and flywheel but i had more done at the time.

Sorry but No, no sense what so ever. It would be almost impossible to fit the master cylinder mis-aligned and how did the Master Cylinder come into the equation anyway?

paul m.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:17 PM, Vintagesixtysix said:

Would you mind sharing how much the clutch/flywheel change cost..... I’m assuming from your original post you had lexus do it?

I had clutch and flywheel done at Lexus Bristol 1.5 years back and it cost c.1300 although their original quote was nearer 1500

On 4/2/2019 at 11:20 AM, Texas said:

Sorry but No, no sense what so ever. It would be almost impossible to fit the master cylinder mis-aligned and how did the Master Cylinder come into the equation anyway?

paul m.

Meant to put slave cylinder