Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MAP DVD Update in a 2008 LS460 - Runs Slow!

I just purchased a DVD Map update from eBay for a 2008 LS460 (Not the SE). Everything I look at suggests I have the right disc and the vendor feedback on eBay is really good.

The previous disc was Europe West E10, 2007-2008 Ver.1, 86271-0w060

The replacement disc is Europe West E1G, 2017-2018 Ver. 2, PZ445-X03EU-0N

All the high end multiple £/$ Websites quote the same replacement option as I have purchased, so I believe it is the right one. When I loaded it the Maps were updated and the new roads where I live are all showing as they should.

However, the system is running exceptionally slow. I can press the "Dest" button and it can take many seconds to change screen (and sometimes doesn't). Sometimes even pressing "I Agree" can take 30 seconds or so.It can take ages to page through the 10 Country Maps under the coverage option and other times it rotates through them at normal speed.

When it does all work then I get a sensible route showing and I can follow it as expected. My original saved destinations are still there too.

Any pointers?

The disc came with a little sheet of paper saying if the disc doesn't load then I need to disconnect the Battery negative for 15 minutes and go through a boot screen that may show some Chinese characters. I don't want to try that just yet as it looks like it has loaded. Is this a car with a Hard Drive in or not?

Thanks for any help.

I don't think mine has ever been fast but I have the same disk - I just tend to use my TomTom Go app on the phone as it has the traffic etc and drive around with the map on the screen.

Silly question but did they send you a copy or the genuine disk?

This was the buyer I went for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163327855213?ul_noapp=true

I'll have to test mine out and see how it fares and I can always pop a video up so you can compare. Maybe it's a laser wear issue in the unit, although it must be caching it somewhere. The US cars had the HDD for music as well but I don't think that came to the UK unit a year or two after yours but I'm not 100% sure on the year. 

If you insert a CD Audio does it offer to rip it or allow you to copy MP3s from a CD-R locally as if so you do have the HDD.

If you go into the service menu of the headunit that will give you some error codes and maybe one of those may help.

Maybe it's worth trying the original disk again to see if it suddenly speeds up. I'm guessing you've checked for scratches and cleaned the new disk?

I have had my Battery disconnected a few times though, as I swapped it over when fault finding back when I got the car.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:22 PM, BigMartin said:

I just purchased a DVD Map update from eBay for a 2008 LS460 (Not the SE). Everything I look at suggests I have the right disc and the vendor feedback on eBay is really good.

The previous disc was Europe West E10, 2007-2008 Ver.1, 86271-0w060

The replacement disc is Europe West E1G, 2017-2018 Ver. 2, PZ445-X03EU-0N

All the high end multiple £/$ Websites quote the same replacement option as I have purchased, so I believe it is the right one. When I loaded it the Maps were updated and the new roads where I live are all showing as they should.

However, the system is running exceptionally slow. I can press the "Dest" button and it can take many seconds to change screen (and sometimes doesn't). Sometimes even pressing "I Agree" can take 30 seconds or so.It can take ages to page through the 10 Country Maps under the coverage option and other times it rotates through them at normal speed.

When it does all work then I get a sensible route showing and I can follow it as expected. My original saved destinations are still there too.

Any pointers?

The disc came with a little sheet of paper saying if the disc doesn't load then I need to disconnect the battery negative for 15 minutes and go through a boot screen that may show some Chinese characters. I don't want to try that just yet as it looks like it has loaded. Is this a car with a Hard Drive in or not?

Thanks for any help.

Got the exact same issues on my 2008 SE-L IS250, the old disc was 2008, updated to 2017-18, everything is slow, even entering postcodes etc,  as you say once the route starts everything runs as it should, would be interested to see if there is a fix to this

Thanks for all the replies. I went out and refitted my original disc this morning and everything is back to normal. I'm hunting around on the Web for potential solutions now.

aido - I bought this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163353777335 - same supplier, same disc, but cheaper.

I guess if it was laser wear then the old disc would have problems too.