Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 best car ever made?

Perfectly sums up what a fantastic machine the ls400 is. I've just ordered a complete set of genuine rear suspension arms for my MK4 as well as new hub bushes and strut rods for the front. I'm hoping it will help give the car a ride closer to feeling new. No other car would get me buying genuine parts at this age of car but the ls400 deserves it. 

I work in car sales and drive pretty new cars all day and nothing comes close to getting back into my 20yr old ls at the end of the day. 

• Like 2

I prefer my LS400 Mk3 to my current LS460. I don't know why as the LS460 is better in almost every aspect, but to me the LS400 was something I got to own at a young age and people envied me for it. The LS460 just doesn't touch my soul in the same way.

3 hours ago, BigMartin said:

I prefer my LS400 Mk3 to my current LS460. I don't know why as the LS460 is better in almost every aspect, but to me the LS400 was something I got to own at a young age and people envied me for it. The LS460 just doesn't touch my soul in the same way.

My first Lexus was a 93 LS400. It was already 13 years old but everyone without fail commented on how quiet and smooth it was.  As much as I love the 430 I really don't think it has a ride as smooth as that first one, even with air suspension. Fond memories!

I was speaking to a mid fifties garage owner a couple of weeks ago and he commented on doing a cambelt on a merc which did his back in I said he would have done better with a 400 and he retorted it was just a Toyota and if you speak to people who know the link they all say the same thing.

It is as been a lifetime experience owning Lexus LS400s something only a very few of us get the privilege and I for one thank my lucky stars.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

I was speaking to a mid fifties garage owner a couple of weeks ago and he commented on doing a cambelt on a merc which did his back in I said he would have done better with a 400 and he retorted it was just a Toyota and if you speak to people who know the link they all say the same thing.

It is as been a lifetime experience owning Lexus LS400s something only a very few of us get the privilege and I for one thank my lucky stars.

This is the thing with the old LS, it's only when people get to drive one they're blown away by it.  I still maintain that if I  had my original one it would drive as good, probably better, than most new cars today.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:47 PM, Matt1986 said:

Perfectly sums up what a fantastic machine the ls400 is. I've just ordered a complete set of genuine rear suspension arms for my MK4 as well as new hub bushes and strut rods for the front. I'm hoping it will help give the car a ride closer to feeling new. No other car would get me buying genuine parts at this age of car but the ls400 deserves it. 

I work in car sales and drive pretty new cars all day and nothing comes close to getting back into my 20yr old ls at the end of the day. 

Great to hear you have decided to stick with your LS400 and spend some dosh on improvements. I know from your recent posts you were on the verge of giving it up and changing your car. I hope the new suspension parts deliver that smoother ride, let us know how you get on. As you say, the LS pretty much deserves a 'what ever it takes' attitude to keeping it going.

53 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Pity he felt he had to drop the totally unnesessary "f" word into the review - otherwise quite enjoyable

Yes, my thoughts as well, totally unnecessary. Sadly it's just commonplace now. 

The F-bomb didn't bother me too much. What really grinds my gears is the merkin's pronunciation. It's shas-see not cha-see.

I watched a "how to" video a few years back on changing a screen on a motorbike.  I winced each time the narrator said grommet because he kept saying "groomette"

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 8:56 AM, Stupot said:

Great to hear you have decided to stick with your LS400 and spend some dosh on improvements. I know from your recent posts you were on the verge of giving it up and changing your car. I hope the new suspension parts deliver that smoother ride, let us know how you get on. As you say, the LS pretty much deserves a 'what ever it takes' attitude to keeping it going.

I can happily confirm that spending those few hundred pounds renewing the UCAs, drop links etc really really does make the car drive , I guess, like new :yahoo:

I'm so pleased with mine

Malc

On 3/1/2019 at 9:27 AM, ambermarine said:

not for me a lifetime but just some 18 years with a Ls400

Malc