Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kangaroo motion

Hello members

Just some advise on my problem as being when i take off mainly 1st gear my car will kangaroo.

It also do it in second and sometimes 3rd ( but if i release the clutch but keep my foot slightly on accelerator its as smooth as you like ).

Many people blame my driving but i no my own car and it seems to be a possible injection output.

Also on first start up when I move off the car seems like it has a fuel issue for a few seconds but only when its not been driven for a few hours.

I have been blaming my clutch for being to springy but not sure anymore seem to be when i change gear and take my foot completely off the acceleration pedal and back on thats when its kangaroo,s.

Any ideas anyone.

+1 on the throttle position sensor. It won't always throw a code, specially if it has a loose connector. I don't know where it is on your engine but it normally sits on the throttle body. If you take the connector off and then start the car, the engine will be smooth in idle but die when gear engaged.

Examine the connector carefully for a loose connection/ broken housing. These sensors hardly ever go wrong unless they've been physically damaged.

2 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Had similar issues on a mini. Was the throttle position sensor.

Can you read the ecu fault codes. That will tell you what sensor is not working.

Thanks for the reply and like you said i have no codes or lights on so will do what you suggest and find the part.

2 hours ago, Martin F said:

Have you actually read the codes with a code reader ?

Not all codes illuminate a CEL on the dashboard. 

Have got and never had any codes but sounds like a flat spot on the throttle position sensor.

My problem is only on low acceleration from take off.

Will clean the throttle body also.

Thanks for your input anyway martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned my throttle body today and my car seems no different

I read up that an throttle position sensor can get a flat spot and cause my problem. 

But since it seems the lexus is250 does not have a throttle position sensor as have watched a video of a guy taking his throttle body motorised component apart. 

It consists of cogs that just open the flap inside. 

Anyone got any ideas. 

If it's the accelerator pedal sensor it would misbehave when revving up in idle as well.

Having read your original description again, it may well be an idling issue. If you let the car idle does it stall after a while? It could easily be a MAF issue or the idle control valve (which you've probably cleaned already).

My car idles perfectly around 700 to 800rpm that was untill i got my throttle body cleaned as seems slightly higher on idle and takes longer to come down.

All said and done my problem seems to be still there annoying.

When you disengage the clutch and take your foot off the accelerator the engine goes into idle mode. It's at that stage that it stalls. Your engaging the clutch brings it back to life but there is the obvious 'jump'.

If this is what's happening it's fuel related. You've cleaned the throttle body. You need to check MAF.

You also need to consider fuel pump/ filter but I'd've thought you'd have other issues if there was a problem with these.

Thanks for your response and the problem has been there since I bought the car February 2018 and I have changed my fuel pump as went bad. 

My throttle body clean has put my revs very slightly higher but my car seems different somehow. 

Sounds wierd but when I'm slowing down seems to want to drive itself. 

Was it a case of my revs were to low and my new rev status point means more fuel gets use. 

Call it my imagination but since my throttle was cleaned my fan kicks in more but my water is all OK. 

Is this just coincidence or my imagination my needle goes to half faster and back down again. 

Many thanks 

Tony 

On 3/13/2019 at 8:00 PM, brunskill43 said:

Thanks for your response and the problem has been there since I bought the car February 2018 and I have changed my fuel pump as went bad. 

My throttle body clean has put my revs very slightly higher but my car seems different somehow. 

Sounds wierd but when I'm slowing down seems to want to drive itself. 

Was it a case of my revs were to low and my new rev status point means more fuel gets use. 

Call it my imagination but since my throttle was cleaned my fan kicks in more but my water is all OK. 

Is this just coincidence or my imagination my needle goes to half faster and back down again. 

Many thanks 

Tony 

Just to update my problem as my last statement.

My symptoms stated have all disappeared apart from my original problem. 

My kangaroo motion is still there even tho I have had my throttle body cleaned and my maf sensor also. 

Not sure if it can be an air intake problem but got no noticeable symptoms. 

Could it be a weak injection or some other fuel related issue. 

Just now, brunskill43 said:

Just to update my problem as my last statement.

My symptoms stated have all disappeared apart from my original problem. 

My kangaroo motion is still there even tho I have had my throttle body cleaned and my maf sensor also. 

Not sure if it can be an air intake problem but got no noticeable symptoms. 

Could it be a weak injection or some other fuel related issue. 

If the MAF is passing on incorrect data you will have idling and running errors. If you disconnect the MAF the ECU will run in default mode (which always runs rich) and you'll be able to see if there is a difference in your original symptoms. In your case, I would expect the kangaroo behaviour to stop. If it does then you know it's the MAF.

I'd read up on running the car with the MAF disconnected just to get to grips with the associated issues. It's normally suggested that you don't run the car for long periods. You may also get a CEL which will reset once the MAF is reconnected.