Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Un-explained warning

NX300h  Luxury April 2018.

Driving on minor A road 30 - 40 mph, no other traffic, day light, dry conditions.  Sudden quick triple loud bleeps.  This 'event' was over very quickly.  I thought I saw a large red warning square pop up in the multi-function display, too quick to read before the screen returned to normal.  The car ran normally.

Can't see this referred in the full manual.

Anyone had this kind of issue?

Do 'events', possible faults get recorded in the car's system so that Lexus can fault find?

I had a similar warning on a square amber background with the message 'brake' flash on and off very quickly. I was doing about 45 mph going up a hill with no other traffic within 100 metres. It's a lane I drive along regularly and it has never reoccurred. 

It's on my list for the first service this week.

There was no audio warning and I was just driving leisurely at a steady pace up the hill without any sudden acceleration. 

Hopefully Lexus will have some answers this week. My only problems have been intermittent electronic problems mainly with the infotainment system. 

I'll post any comments  or solutions from Lexus on here Dennis. 

• Like 1

Yep, sounds like the collision detection. If it thinks you are approaching an obstacle and suspects you have not noticed it, i.e. you are not braking/decelerating/indicating, it will beep three times with an orange warning saying "BRAKE!" 

It has 3 settings (which can be adjusted via a button by your right knee). The most sensitive setting will detect obstacle from a longer distance. This can be handy in the sense that it gives you plenty of warning, but also aggravating if it warns you of a car that has stopped ahead of you when you still have plenty of time to stop. Also, on the most sensitive setting it can occasionally get confused by a car coming from the opposite direction on a narrow road or a very tight bend. It can also get confused by heavy rain or snow in the same way as the adaptive cruise control does... I believe it uses the same sensors.

Personally, I find it very useful - especially when the car in front unexpectedly slows down - but like most systems it is not entirely fool proof.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 10:59 PM, Centre100 said:

Hi  Jon

Thanks for that. Did you get 3 loud bleeps (not the gong from safety cameras) Please post any findings from the service.

Despite the fact that I think it is very dangerous to be constantly distracted by continuous audible and visual flashing warnings for thirty minutes whilst trying to drive safely in seriously bad weather, Lexus just blamed it on the weather conditions. Which I believe is wrong.

No explanation for the cause of any of the electronic problems except for the weather. They have uploaded lots of software updates which hopefully may cure some of my problems.

The brake warning maybe be spurious, however there was nothing in the conditions at the time that you would expect may set the warning off.

Otherwise everything else was champion.

Thanks for the reply.  Hope the updates sort the other issues (Nav?)

I don't think it was weather related either.

Mine is due its first service next month, I'll see what they say and report back if interesting.

Modern aircraft occasionally get spurious messages too - we're in good company!

• Like 1

My front parking sensors very occasionally go off with a few beeps in pouring rain whilst sat at e.g. traffic lights with nothing in front of me - I assume the rain running down over a sensor causes it to false alarm - a 1st world problem I think....!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links