Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Push button does not light up. No ignition

Appers

Hi all,

I hoping someone here can shed any light on this or provide any other suggestions to what I've tried already. I've Googled this problem to death for the past week and tried nearly everything that I could find.

Ok so the problem goes like this...

I went to start the car as normal but when I depressed the clutch the green light on the start button didn't illuminate. Nor would the orange light turn on when the clutch wasn't pressed. There is no power whatsoever to the dash or radio no matter what I try to do to. It's as if the car can't see the key. Everything else works, interior lights, remote central locking, main headlights, brake lights etc. It's like the ignition side of the car is dead.

So following the internet's recommendations I have tried the following.

Charged the Battery
Checked all fuses (twice)
Removed and tested all relays
Tried a replacement push button switch
Tried a brand new Battery
Batteries in both fobs are fairly new but replaced them anyway
Held the fob to the button, still nothing.
Cleaned the earth points near the Battery.

Now what is weird is that while I was messing about with the main car Battery and trying a different one the switch magically sprang to life, but only once and I couldn't get it to work again after that even with the brand new Battery. This tells me that it isn't a problem with the fuses or relays or Battery etc it must be some sort of wiring issue. 

So really I have 2 questions, has anyone seen this before and can suggest something else for me to try? And secondly where are the other main earth points located on this car so I can try and clean those too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and will stop me pulling what's left of my hair out!!! smile.gif

Thanks,

John

collapse_tcat.gifQuick Reply

To view/manage your attachments, click "Go Advanced"
Options
 Quote message in reply?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (3 members and 2 guests)

If the car's ever had a tracker fitted the wires near the ignition could be the problem (a join getting loose). Otherwise starting points would be to examine the +ve lead on the Battery for a loose/broken wire and checking current at the fuse for ignition.

Thanks for the reply,

As far as I know there has never been a tracker fitted but I'll look at the +ve terminal and see if that turns anything up....

You really need a multimeter for this sort of work so hopefully you'll have one but, as a starting point, take off and clean up the Battery connectors, the earth straps (especially the engine earth strap) and any other heavy-current wires you can get to. Don't just tighten them, or worse still, just wiggle them to check for tightness, but actually take them off and clean them up.

Hi Herbie, thanks for the reply. Yes I have a multi-meter. I've already cleaned and tightened all the earth points that I can see, still nothing. Any other significant earth points that you know of that I could try? There was the big earth strap near the Battery and 2 others right near it that I thoroughly cleaned with a wire brush.

No worries John but I'm afraid that I can't help much as I haven't got an IS220D.

All I can say is to check and clean each end of the earth straps and each end of the positive cables too. You'll need wiring diagrams and check the starter button and the cables to it for voltage and/or continuity.

If all else fails, go to a proper auto-electrician and then get them to sort it.