Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking of changing my gs 450 to a later model ive seen  advert for one at Lexus Sidcup its a fair tramp for me from Doncaster does anyone know Lexus Sidcup I would be obliged if you could give me any heads up on them.

Is there anything i should watch out for on the mk4 i know theres calippers and Struts anything else .

One point i noticed on advert it doesnt appear to have  Exhaust tail pipes do the come through bumper

TIA

Robert

Hi Robert,

The red or the black one? :smile:

I bought my GS from Lexus Sidcup.  Nice chaps but the car wasn't prepared very well when I first collected it.  It took a bit of back and forth and another extended stay at the dealers for the car to be sorted.  The after sales guys were excellent though and got it all fixed with the minimum of fuss.

If the wheels have been refurbed then make sure it is a decent job.  The finish was shockingly bad on mine, but the dealer agreed to let me get them re-done at a place of my choosing and they paid for it.

Actually, since the GS uses 4 pot fixed calipers, they don't suffer the same seizing problems as earlier cars.  Also, I haven't really noticed any complaints about shock absorbers either.

One thing you can do is get someone to listen to the engine when you first start it up from cold.  They all seem to rattle on startup, but if it is bad then it might be worth get it checked.  As far as I can tell it is not actually a serious problem, but if it is there you might as well get the dealer to have a look.  It is also hard to hear from inside the car, hence needing to listen from the outside.

If it a Premier or F-Sport model it should have the 356mm 'floating' brake discs.  Make sure these are in good condition since they are quite a bit more expensive to replace then the ones on the rest of the range.

Lastly, you are correct, the exhaust is hidden behind the bumper.

Superb cars though, so definitely worth considering the change.

Hope this helps :smile:

• Like 1

the black one shahpor 64 it looks tasty but not seen it in the flesh . i have the 2010 one and its perfect but wanted to go up a few years is it in your neck of the woods if it is you couldnt have a quick look for me as i am in yorkshire was going to  have run down on saturday

thanks for replying

robert

Sorry Robert, but it is quite a distance from where I live, so I'm not able to take a look.

One thing I will say is if you do decide to buy it, make sure it is all sorted before collection because one of the annoyances I discovered is that Lexus Sidcup understandably wanted to do the rectification work themselves, but that meant a 3 hour round trip even though Lexus Reading is quite close to me.  The fact that they are both Jemca dealers apparently made no difference.

Another noteworthy item is that they have had the black one advertised for quite some time now, so there might be room to manoeuvre when it comes to price. 

Thanks for that Shahpor i am obliged to you for your reply but i started to get a bit worried when you said it had been there a while so i checked DVLA it s tax run out in sept 2018 so it looks like it as been stood for nearly 6 month so i am a bit concerned Whats the matter with it and i would suspect the 12v Battery would be nic nacked and if it has been looked at a few times the constant cold starts

It looked really tasty in the advert and i have paid a holding deposit as well i am in two minds to abort it as i will have to drive from doncaster and i may be dissapointed if it doesnt come up to scratch the salesman said if there was anything wrong with it it would be put right in the workshop but to my mind it should have been done before going on display thats what we go to lexus for, for the quality and as you said you had a few issues my initial plan was to ask if i could take it to my local lexus at sheffield if a problem arose 195ml is a tramp to have a fault checked only to be told " Oh thats normal Sir"

My 2010 Gs450 SE L as never rattled once on start up never but my previous gs300 did every morning for 3 years till i traded up to the 450

As you said Shahpor you had a few problems with them over your purchase so you have got me thinking do i keep the 450 i have got that looks perfect and runs flawlesly , it was just that i wanted to go upto the mk 4 being a bit more modern

Once again mate many thanks

Robert

Hi Robert,

Oh dear, I actually wasn't trying to put you off.

It is possible that it is an absolutely fine car, which, with a few provisos, could be a good purchase.

I agree that the dealers should have them prepared before you view but that doesn't appear to be the case with most of the cars I have seen at there.  When my friend bought his IS300h F Sport from another dealership they hadn't even washed it!

If it were me, I would explain the situation to the salesman and see what happens.  You could request that a new 12v Battery be fitted as part of the deal.  Also, perhaps it is possible to get an agreement in writing that should any faults occur you could take it to your local dealer because of the distances involved.  Of course, there is always the possibility that there won't be anything that needs rectifying in the first place.

If they are not prepared to make any concessions then I would consider my position again.

What is it about this particular car that is important to you?  Age, spec, colour, etc..?  If you are really not happy perhaps consider another example? 

I wanted black again but cream interior this fitted the bill i am going down to see it and  i will do as you say get them to aggree i anything goes wrong take it to my local Lexus they know me very well

Thanks again Shahpor for your input was recieved gladly

Robert

Thanks again

One further note how do i know if its the premier model or luxury is there a dead giveaway mine is a SE L and it says it on the door Jamb

One way to find out is on the centre console, the premier and F sport would have Sport and Sport + as standard, and the high end sound system as standard and I also think they have got the larger sat nav as standard.

The Luxury model has only got the sport option, and it has blind spot assist as standard (same for Premier and F Sport) and comes with a smaller size sat nav system (but still big enough to enjoy the system. These are the things I have noticed from driving mine and I am very happy with the Luxury model.

Shahpor is right about advising you to make sure the car is absolutely perfect when you pick it up. If the vehicle has been in the showroom for a while, get them to check the Battery and if it is below the normal charge, request a new one (it has happened to mine recently, and the dealer changed it under warranty)...

However, don't be put off because the car has been in the dealership for months. Lexus will make sure it is working in full order. You will not regret whichever model you go for, the GS gen 4 is a fantastic luxury car... Send us pics once you have done the choosing.

I will this will be my 4th Lexus if i take it up and all have been very good except the 55 Gs300 it used to rattle on start up but did not defract from how it run it was perfect apart from that but i look after all my cars and sometimes some people dont Bother and it sounds Nick like me you look after  yours I think thats  why they are so relable if looked after

Thanks for the explanation Nick

Robert

3 hours ago, KayCee said:

I will this will be my 4th Lexus if i take it up and all have been very good except the 55 Gs300 it used to rattle on start up but did not defract from how it run it was perfect apart from that but i look after all my cars and sometimes some people dont Bother and it sounds Nick like me you look after  yours I think thats  why they are so relable if looked after

Thanks for the explanation Nick

Robert

Thanks Robert. These Japanese cars (unlike the German ones) are quality built to last forever... 

• Like 1

Hi Robert,

As Nick says, the Premier and F Sport have the AVS suspension (Sport +) that isn't an option on other models.  Other easily identifying signs are wood trim, HUD (this is a Premier spec only item), 18 way adjustable seats (with rear armrest heated seats and radio controls) and a fully electric boot lid.

Since the pictures in the advert shows most of these, it is safe to assume it is Premier spec.

Good luck. :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks for that Shahpor yours and Nicks advice as been recieved most gladly

I spoke to a gent called Alfie he seemed ok so i think i am going ahead with it

Thanks again

Robert

Thanks

1 hour ago, KayCee said:

Thanks for that Shahpor yours and Nicks advice as been recieved most gladly

I spoke to a gent called Alfie he seemed ok so i think i am going ahead with it

Thanks again

Robert

Thanks

Have a great time Robert. Let us know how this went and post some pictures of the car once you have sealed the deal...

• Like 1

I know them all very well at Sidcup, I have brought my last 4 cars from them, Alfie is a new salesman at Sidcup but i am sure your get on with him fine, if your not sure about anything have a chat with Bradly, and Kevin in the service department.IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.2087e4275ad28f730891b7d0605835a4.JPG

If need be can pop down there for you and get any information your need, have a look round it and take photos.

• Like 5

thanks for that Chris I  have spoken to Bradley and Steve and i am going down monday to pick it up all being well they have assured me that all will be well  and can walk away if it does not meet my needs he answered all my questions and seemed ok

I know Most of them can be a bit smarmy but its the world we live in

It does my heart good to know that forum members can help and offer advice to others if they need it.

I shall take a few pics and if it runs as good as my SE L  as i will be well pleased

THanks one and all

Robert

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, wendle said:

I know them all very well at Sidcup, I have brought my last 4 cars from them, Alfie is a new salesman at Sidcup but i am sure your get on with him fine, if your not sure about anything have a chat with Bradly, and Kevin in the service department.IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.2087e4275ad28f730891b7d0605835a4.JPG

If need be can pop down there for you and get any information your need, have a look round it and take photos.

By the way, I love your plate number! you car looks really good too...

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 6:08 PM, Nico72 said:

By the way, I love your plate number! you car looks really good too...

thanks Nick, I still have the plate but the car went 5 years ago

• Like 1

I found them pretty good overall at Lexus Sidcup. Preparation of the car was fine. If you can be firm, detailed but fair and polite in your haggling then I think they will sense your attention to detail and ensure the car is presented in the appropriate manner. Sometimes, even good dealers will for whatever reason try and palm something off and hope no one notices. All of the guys I spoke to were helpful. Petr, Alfie and Bradley were all nice chaps and most importantly professional. 

Did you say your new car is black with cream leather?? That's a lovely combination. 

These are fantastic cars that (touching wood!) should absolutely hammer anything German for reliability and long term ownership costs. 

Well i finaly decided and went down to see the Gs and to be honest was very pleased with it the only dark area that i found was the discs they were a bit rusty and one of the rears had a slight groove in it so we had a detailed discussion on this and we ended up looking at the specs of the discs and they were in the tolerances so i had a good run round in it and tried the brakes harshly and gently and they performed flawlessly so decided to have the car.

Yes Adam you were quite right they was ok to deal with very courteous and said slightest problem let us know and we wouldnt expect you to come the 200ml we will arrange with your local lexus to appraise fault and liase with us

One thing i noticed on my old SE L i had music options galore  6 Disc player HDD USB BT but this one as 1 disc USB and BT but the other one was overkill i suppose i didnt let that put me off

The Mouse thingy was a bit awkward but just after 3 days ive got used to it

The journey home was faultless and it was bucketing down with rain and as the tyres were Dunlop Maxx i was a little apprehensive but they were perfect but they are new

One minor problem i found was that the Pass mirror did not drop on reverse but a quick phone call got the  answer my local lexus told me to put it in reverse then drop mirror with control then back to park and then try again and voilla it worked

I will get a few pics when i get myself sorted

I would like to Thank you all for the excellent advice given its much appreciated

Shahpor

Nick

Chris

Mike

Many thanks

Robert

• Like 5

Hi Shahpor,Nick Chris

not had chance to take some pics as its bucketing down here its never stopped

and got to get my own reg on it

just a couple of points though

1 the sat nav is the origional 2014 can they be updated by owner or is it dealer option

2 On my old SE L the voice came out of centre speaker and i had a choice, pass, driver or centre this one is coming out of driver i have got volume up in settings to 7 but if the radio is on it can hardly be heard the SE L was a lot louder

3 It looks like the Headlights use just the same bulb does the headlight lift for high beam i cant see another bulb

as i said i am just getting round to the options

Thanks

All