Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just a word to the wise....

had occasion to leave both sets of keys on my passenger seat last week, having unlocked the car and opened the passenger door to access it.

unaware therefore that, <1 minute later the whole car locks down again !!

Helpful staff at my service provider sorted me out - took a while though. I know its unusual to have BOTH sets left in such a place but a word to the wise, the car self locks which is no problem if/when you have the other set to hand, when you haven't.........

I'd have the door checked. The mechanism which indicates that the door is open seems to have malfunctioned. Pretty much all cars these days will auto close after 30 secs IF no door is opened after using the key remote to unlock. So your passenger door opening wasn't registered by the car ECU.

It's normally a pin on the frame of the car or could even be in the door latch.

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

Things must have changed (:?) With my  IS300  I can't lock the car (by touching the door handle), if the key has been left in the car..

Yes, but yours is a 2015 car with keyless entry whereas the OP's car is 2009 with a 'standard' key (3 buttons and a blade) if I remember correctly.

My 2013 RX450h is the same as yours. If I try to lock it with a key inside I get a long bleep and a warning on the dash saying "Key detected in car".

@BachelorDays is correct - the ECU hasn't logged that the door was opened, only that the car was unlocked. @Happy John - did the dome lights come on as normal? If not then it's most likely to be the door switch but if they did then that proves that the door switch is working and it's either a communication problem to the ECU or the ECU itself.

doorsw.thumb.png.5bf8901dbd0081b07e579b8a39c23fe8.png

The self-locking "issue" on my RX and being pretty forgetful/accident prone was one of the reasons I got a second flick blade key cut and coded it myself. Now I always have a spare key available even if I have to go home and get it. If I'm travelling away from home the spare stays in my "other" pocket. Being a flick out blade key, it's pretty compact, so doesn't take up much pocket space.

I just had a daft issue this afternoon. Just had the rx400h se-l for 3 weeks, parked at the local reservoir I decided to investigate the screens and DVD player in the rear of the car. I knew that I needed the ignition on AC for the screens to switch on. So, jumped in the back and started checking, went to get out and the child locks were set on the door, so, I couldn't get out. No problem, just open the window and open the door from the outside.......... nope. Had to lean over between the front seats and open the rear window from the drivers armrest 🙄.

Child locks are now disabled. 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DJ Les said:

I decided to investigate the screens and DVD player in the rear of the car. I knew that I needed the ignition on AC for the screens to switch on.

No, for doing things like this the ignition needs to be ON, not just in the ACC position.

The 12V Battery isn't very big and doesn't have a large capacity. Sitting watching DVDs or listening to the radio will soon flatten it, probably in about 20 to 30 minutes, so make sure you always have the car in the READY state so that the petrol engine will fire up when needed to keep that 12V Battery charged up. 

If you don't, you could have problems starting the car when you want to move.

Didn't have a DVD to watch, was just seeing if the screens and DVD player switched on. I was aware of the Battery situation just using the ACC position.

Gonna raid my sons bedroom for DVDs. 😀