Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Lexus...

Nice colour by the way Reiss, my IS300 is the same and I bought that unseen too. From a dealer as it happens but as it was 150 miles from home any promise of a warranty wasn't much use to me but it came with 12 months MOT.  11 months and 3 weeks later its MOT time again on Friday and I think I might be into pads and discs by the weekend but if that's as bad as it gets I will be happy.  Aren't YouTube tutorials great.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:14 PM, rich1068 said:

That's the spirit :thumbsup:

And come on, who else out there has done that one way train ticket thing where so long as the car isn't presented to you in a cardboard box then you're driving the damn thing home? I have. More than once :smile:

I thought I was the only one that did that :yes:

• Like 1

And come on, who else out there has done that one way train ticket thing where so long as the car isn't presented to you in a cardboard box then you're driving the damn thing home? I have. More than once :smile:

Bought my last seven cars like that.  Four Saabs and Three Lexus.

I've got one but prefer to do stuff outside when its a bit warmer as its easier to see and more room for crawling around, just take your time, I've not had the brakes apart on mine but I've found any brake which has seized on other cars/bikes is usually the piston dust seals being pushed out of their groove and rolling up the sides of the piston, I've no schematic to look at as I've been blocked from the online manual I found lol.
Definitely agree about room for moving about haha
Yeah, it's shockingly grimey around the seals which is annoying [emoji849] should've cleaned it better than I have

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Nice colour by the way Reiss, my IS300 is the same and I bought that unseen too. From a dealer as it happens but as it was 150 miles from home any promise of a warranty wasn't much use to me but it came with 12 months MOT.  11 months and 3 weeks later its MOT time again on Friday and I think I might be into pads and discs by the weekend but if that's as bad as it gets I will be happy.  Aren't YouTube tutorials great.
After driving this, I am definitely interested in an IS300... Moarr Power

If your doing the brakes yourself, get the Lexus brake tool or those C clamps, my regular draper brake rewind thing annoyingly didn't work!...

Those tutorials are a godsend

On 3/17/2019 at 6:50 PM, LanceG said:

Saturday Changed front disc and pads and cleaned up wit a wire bush and copper greased everything.

With the calliper on the left side (Seized side noted on MOT), one of the rubber springgy bit's doesn't really pop back effectively, so I'm pretty sure I need a new one of those, as it isn't being pushed back out

picked up today 2 second hand rear springs found on ebay, but only managed to replace the drivers rear strut, disc and pads cut my hand, curse a lot and get wet... 

Will try and do the passenger side eventually so it can be retested for Saturday 

Need a bloody garage!!!

If you do need any more parts, Check our site, We offer all Genuine Lexus Parts cheaper than main dealers.

If you can't see what your looking for send an enquiry https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/contact-us-genuine-lexus-parts/

Missed my free retest, had to rebook... Missed the appointment today :'(... Hopefully have an update next week... It's as if the car gets faster over 4k revs, nobody told me this :O

Much nicer drive compared to my e87

Delivery..... Still sticking... Drove it from my house to my dad's drive so it's off the road as it has no MOT... Illegal I know but you gotta do what you gotta do

New calliper ready to go on tho [emoji57]
cd8877492980e85bdec19b0868b7e43d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and gentleman... My Lexus has now passed mot with no advisories.

My self advisories are the gurgle, slow puncture both fronts, cambelt and other side caliper

• Like 1

I doubt you have two slow punctures, sounds more like the last tyre changer didn't clean the alloys properly before fitting the tyres, I've had the same before with alloy wheels. H
Funny enough, since getting it back from Kwik fit, hey haven't gone down.. which is good, only god knows what they have done to stop it from deflating all the time

Spoke to soon, left gone back down again but the right is good

Water pump turned up tho, waiting for other bits

87f4d972a72b24bf704e59eb05daf058.jpg

I realise this is some weeks old but....many years ago when I lived in London we had a dentist that knocked out nervous patients, of which I was one. I should have had someone with me but I didn't. Walking home feeling light headed I saw an old car for sale outside a house, had money in my pocket so I bought it to get me home. The foolishness of youth! Heap of junk of course!

• Like 2

Don't have money for a full service, but whilst it's apart for changing the cambelt, water pump and pulleys, very I may aswell do oil and filter right

e8faf320f935c0817f6685873fd457cf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Everything back together. 

I wouldn't say it went flawlessly, I accidentally pulled out the tensioner pin before putting on the belt (F***ING D**KHEAD I KNOW lol please allow me)

Finally got everything on though, seems alright, was a bit of white smoke when I first turned it on but I put that down to some oil I dripped when I was changing the oil/oil filter.

Took it for a test drive, seems good, still get the gurgling, when I parked up, smoke from the front where you put in the coolant... I have done some research and it looks like it could be the sensor?

Fans come on temporarily when I switch on the AC so I'm gonna short the wires that connect to the temperature sensor and pray that comes on. If it does, then off to ECP for a new one. they have bank holiday sale on at the moment... whoop whoop

1 hour ago, LanceG said:

Everything back together. 

I wouldn't say it went flawlessly, I accidentally pulled out the tensioner pin before putting on the belt (F***ING D**KHEAD I KNOW lol please allow me)

Finally got everything on though, seems alright, was a bit of white smoke when I first turned it on but I put that down to some oil I dripped when I was changing the oil/oil filter.

Took it for a test drive, seems good, still get the gurgling, when I parked up, smoke from the front where you put in the coolant... I have done some research and it looks like it could be the sensor?

Fans come on temporarily when I switch on the AC so I'm gonna short the wires that connect to the temperature sensor and pray that comes on. If it does, then off to ECP for a new one. they have bank holiday sale on at the moment... whoop whoop

Yep, fans came on! Temperature Sensor ordered from ECP.. I got an Intermotor over Haas, that was a good choice right?

I'm excited to get this beast cruising, may look at rims soon.. maybe some XXR's?

Yep, fans came on! Temperature Sensor ordered from ECP.. I got an Intermotor over Haas, that was a good choice right?

I'm excited to get this beast cruising, may look at rims soon.. maybe some XXR's?
Hmmm, so it seems I ordered the incorrect part . I need a "temperature switch sensor" Any advice on what brand? Lexus want £108 for the tiny little thing autodoc have loads to pick from

I believe the correct part code is 89428-20110

You could try a Toyota dealer as the part is used on several models.

Otherwise very cheap ones available from China, or cheaper than Toyota from RockAuto 

• Like 1

You could have an airlock in the coolant system, it used to happen on a Toyota Surf I had, google 'burping the coolant system'. I have no access to a manual for this car but these systems need bleeding or burping, regardless of how you do it it needs to be sorted or it will only overheat and crack the head. H

I haven't heard the bubbling for a while however fans still don't spin.. gonna change the rad..

601f2d4f074b258ab69f8a0bd897fafa.jpg

What's the extra 2 hoses at the bottom? Did I buy the wrong part?

Running out of ideas and money lol

Car reads half way on the temp sensor gauge inside the car, and still the fans don't make an appearance

When ac is on they will... Hmmmm.. I'm lost at the moment