Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What covered on Major Service

1 hour ago, BMJD said:

I just had my ~60k miles service yesterday, here's my receipt (price in €)

20190409_094704.jpg

Someone mentioned that spark plugs are being changed at 60k service, yours were not done, so do they get changed at 40k? Does anyone know? Are they included in the service price?

They didn't mention them so I assume that they didn't need to be replaced.  I bought the car just after it would have had a major service around 40k miles so it's possible they were changed then. If they needed doing then they would have said so, it's not like they don't add every possible charge on.  

38 minutes ago, BMJD said:

They didn't mention them so I assume that they didn't need to be replaced.  I bought the car just after it would have had a major service around 40k miles so it's possible they were changed then. If they needed doing then they would have said so, it's not like they don't add every possible charge on.  

You can register with the My Lexus website and then after putting in your VIN can see any servicing carried out by Lexus and what was changed. The spark plugs are a 60K mile service item (not time based only mileage based) - I doubt Lexus would have changed them before that if it was serviced by Lexus previously. I would definitely check if they have or have not been replaced previously otherwise any future service will probably assume they were done at 60K miles and so they may not get changed until 120K miles...! 

• Thanks 1

The invoice says the car has done 105,000 kilometres. Is that correct? I think that's around 65,000 miles. Is that why it should be a 60,000 mile service? When measuring by miies, spark plugs should be changed at 60,000 miles. But if the car is showing kilometres, maybe the change comes at, say, 100,000 km. But if the plugs are changed at 120,000 km they would assume it's not due yet.

Here's a link to a maintenance schedule for the IS in Europe. It says the spark plugs should be changed at 90,000 km. So if the car has done 105,000 km the garage would probably assume it was done last time if that was around 90,000km.

I found it on a French forum about the Lexus IS. I didn't expect there would be such a thing!  Here's the link if anyone's interested.

• Like 1

My last service was at 87,625km, yesterday's was 102,424km. I don't recall the spark plugs being replaced last time tbh, if they are expensive then I would remember 🤑. I'll check the invoice tomorrow and contact my dealer if they haven't yet been replaced. Should I stick with Lexus or go with a local independent garage to change them if needed?

I popped in to Glasgow Lexus today and booked the car for an MOT test next Friday, while I was there I asked Service department about the Service as I am due in a couple of months.

At the moment my car is at 39.5-40k miles so I expected to get a 40k service price, but I was told that mt car is due 60k service, you can imagine my surprise! 

Apparently it is not only by mileage but also per year, as the car is 2012 it is due 60k service which cost £735!!! But, this BIG service includes diff oil and the spark plugs!

I was also quoted for 4-off Michelin Cross Climate tyres at £869! 

4 wheel alignment would cost me £95.

Service price seems a bit harsh as I kind of prepared myself for 40k £495 service and pay more not really acceptable by me, yet. I have been told if I want I can get 40k service done no problem if I want to but the thing is it will be saying in a Lexus app (history) saying 40k service as it is says now shows last year was done 50k service and I thought initially it was a mistypo!

What would you do guys/girls regards service, carry on 40k service and forget about the Lexus app or get it done what Lexus requires at 60k somewhere privately? 

29 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I popped in to Glasgow Lexus today and booked the car for an MOT test next Friday, while I was there I asked Service department about the Service as I am due in a couple of months.

At the moment my car is at 39.5-40k miles so I expected to get a 40k service price, but I was told that mt car is due 60k service, you can imagine my surprise! 

Apparently it is not only by mileage but also per year, as the car is 2012 it is due 60k service which cost £735!!! But, this BIG service includes diff oil and the spark plugs!

I was also quoted for 4-off Michelin Cross Climate tyres at £869! 

4 wheel alignment would cost me £95.

Service price seems a bit harsh as I kind of prepared myself for 40k £495 service and pay more not really acceptable by me, yet. I have been told if I want I can get 40k service done no problem if I want to but the thing is it will be saying in a Lexus app (history) saying 40k service as it is says now shows last year was done 50k service and I thought initially it was a mistypo!

What would you do guys/girls regards service, carry on 40k service and forget about the Lexus app or get it done what Lexus requires at 60k somewhere privately? 

Servicing is 10K miles or 12 months whichever is sooner. The prices on the Lexus UK website for the IS 300h say the Full 60 service costs £625 and on the IS 300h that includes spark plugs at 60K miles (air filter is done at each 40K miles). If you are at 6 years but less than 60K miles I believe that the spark plugs don't in theory need replacing but how they account for the reduction in price not quite sure - maybe it reverts to the 20K mile price? Diff oil (for some reason) appears at every 20k miles. Either way, the max price for a 6 year or 60K mile service if you include spark plugs is £625 so don't know where they get the £735 from... Maybe ring another dealer and see what they say?

image.thumb.png.54f80e2b6d5fbdd66893a0ccff595cf3.png 

4 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Servicing is 10K miles or 12 months whichever is sooner. The prices on the Lexus UK website for the IS 300h say the Full 60 service costs £625 and on the IS 300h that includes spark plugs at 60K miles (air filter is done at each 40K miles). If you are at 6 years but less than 60K miles I believe that the spark plugs don't in theory need replacing but how they account for the reduction in price not quite sure - maybe it reverts to the 20K mile price? Diff oil (for some reason) appears at every 20k miles. Either way, the max price for a 6 year or 60K mile service if you include spark plugs is £625 so don't know where they get the £735 from... Maybe ring another dealer and see what they say?

image.thumb.png.54f80e2b6d5fbdd66893a0ccff595cf3.png 

The guy actually had a mouth pad with the price for all Lexus cars and it was dated March 2019. They offered another type of service for cars over 5 years old which was not much cheaper for oil and filter change especially not using Lexus parts, according to service rep.

I will try to call next week Lexus Edinburgh though, I have heard good reviews about them.

10 minutes ago, Vlady said:

The guy actually had a mouth pad with the price for all Lexus cars and it was dated March 2019. They offered another type of service for cars over 5 years old which was not much cheaper for oil and filter change especially not using Lexus parts, according to service rep.

I will try to call next week Lexus Edinburgh though, I have heard good reviews about them.

Do report back with their prices - will be interesting to see if they are same as the website or not. The other servicing is Essential Service for cars over 5 years old. A bit cheaper with not quite so many checks and no service book stamp. 

5 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Do report back with their prices - will be interesting to see if they are same as the website or not. The other servicing is Essential Service for cars over 5 years old. A bit cheaper with not quite so many checks and no service book stamp. 

Thanks Phil, I couldn't remember that specific word - Essential, but you are right, there are not so many checks and not sure about service book, can they actually do that i.e do service and do not stamp the book!

Lexus Edinburgh have no airs and graces about stamping the book for an Essential service.

Source: my car was serviced there yesterday, and for the third year in a row, the book was stamped without issue.

My advice: get a normal / essential major service, keep the paperwork and only change the plugs when the mileage is actually relevant.

Personally speaking, a stack of paperwork outlining that the car visited a Lexus dealership every year, would mean more to me than anything the Lexus app will show. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Lexus Edinburgh have no airs and graces about stamping the book for an Essential service.

Source: my car was serviced there yesterday, and for the third year in a row, the book was stamped without issue.

My advice: get a normal / essential major service, keep the paperwork and only change the plugs when the mileage is actually relevant.

Personally speaking, a stack of paperwork outlining that the car visited a Lexus dealership every year, would mean more to me than anything the Lexus app will show. emoji3.png

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi John, thank you for the input, I am thinking about doing Essential service by Lexus, I will try to get more information when I am there next Friday, you are right, as long as paper work matches, plus I need to make sure they will the book and with spark plugs my thoughts exactly - get them done when mileage comes.

I also need to pop in to Lexus Edinburgh, they know my car but I don't know anyone there. John, do they accept LOC discount?

Thank you

Just found online what is included in Major Essential service (£435) and I am disappointed, there are a lot of checks and inspections which is good but all they change is the engine oil and oil filter!!! The rest if you want to change (like pollen, fuel filter, diff oil) they will charge you additional cost!

Is it not a bit harsh to pay for oil change £435? Fair enough Hybrid system is included in this price, but it is still mainly an oil service!

Minor service cost £235 and involves less checks than Major one but still an oil service at the end of the day!

I think you pay this price just for a Lexus stamp in the book!

9 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Is it not a bit harsh to pay for oil change £435? Fair enough Hybrid system is included in this price, but it is still mainly an oil service!

Brake fluid change is included in the major service, and if a hybrid then you also get the health check with an additional 12 months warranty on the Battery.

Yes servicing at Lexus is expensive, but so is the vehicle in the first place - spares and servicing costs are proportional to the vehicle cost and partially set based on the disposable income of the target market.

You will always find better value outside of the main dealer network.

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Just found online what is included in Major Essential service (£435) and I am disappointed, there are a lot of checks and inspections which is good but all they change is the engine oil and oil filter!!! The rest if you want to change (like pollen, fuel filter, diff oil) they will charge you additional cost!

Minor service cost £235 and involves less checks than Major one but still an oil service at the end of the day!

I think you pay this price just for a Lexus stamp in the book!

Yes - I did a similar exercise a few months back. On Essentials it looks like most parts are not included (filters and spark plugs etc.) - I looked at my previous invoices and reckoned on average over a few years the cost saving of opting for the Essentials servicing over a full servicing would probably come in at some £100 per service (I do about 15K miles a year so probably about a £150 a year saving). Also if you have Lexus Extended Warranty the car must be serviced by Lexus and I think that is just the full servicing and does include Essential servicing (but may be wrong about the Essential servicing as haven't asked about that yet).

3 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

I think that is just the full servicing and does include Essential servicing (but may be wrong about the Essential servicing as haven't asked about that yet).

The warranty T&Cs just state servicing at a Lexus service centre, so Essentials is acceptable.

I’ve just the 40k service for my 2015 300h, been told £535, has that gone up recently, I’m sure I’ve seen it at £465 not that long ago. Asked about the service pack and no discount apart from 1/2 mot. Have been told that you can go over by 2k miles or 30 days which makes the service intervals a bit better, 10k too short compared to other brands, plus not exactly cheap.

I’m hoping it doesn’t need brakes, that will be another £600, just to get a rough idea, when did your brakes need replacing?? I know it depends on the type and style of your driving. 

1 hour ago, Casa1862 said:

10k too short compared to other brands

especially if you say the engine isnt running for 10% of the time

as its running on batteries so that means the service is every 9000

miles of engine running as the 10000 miles interval includes Battery milage.

2 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

I’ve just the 40k service for my 2015 300h, been told £535, has that gone up recently, I’m sure I’ve seen it at £465 not that long ago. Asked about the service pack and no discount apart from 1/2 mot. Have been told that you can go over by 2k miles or 30 days which makes the service intervals a bit better, 10k too short compared to other brands, plus not exactly cheap.

£535 for £40k miles is what is on the Lexus website (see my post earlier) 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links