Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What covered on Major Service

2 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

I’m hoping it doesn’t need brakes, that will be another £600, just to get a rough idea, when did your brakes need replacing?? I know it depends on the type and style of your driving. 

I had my £70k service recently and still no brake pads needed and from the thickness left on the pads probably won't for a while longer yet 

7 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

I had my £70k service recently and still no brake pads needed and from the thickness left on the pads probably won't for a while longer yet 

Thanks, that’s good to know. Mine should be ok, they have been a bit squeaky lately.

4 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

Thanks, that’s good to know. Mine should be ok, they have been a bit squeaky lately.

Not sure why I put £70k - it didn't cost that much...! - 70k miles of course 

2 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

As they get used so little - especially rears - do a few high speed heavy braking runs - that should clean them up and stop the noise 

8 hours ago, 200h said:

especially if you say the engine isnt running for 10% of the time

as its running on batteries so that means the service is every 9000

miles of engine running as the 10000 miles interval includes battery milage.

I used to get 18k in my 3 series, and the service was cheaper, I’d estimate Lexus cost almost twice as much to service over a 5 year period.

7 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

£535 for £40k miles is what is on the Lexus website (see my post earlier) 

Cheers, just thinking if the price increase was recent, or just me looking at the wrong model. The extended warranty actually came down £100 last to year for the 300h, £795 from £895 for two years.

Found to my cost - 2 blown turbos - that relying on 18k service intervals with a (diesel) 3 series was not a good idea.  Afterwards found I should have gone for 10k intervals so maybe the Lexus service interval makes good sense 😏

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigChange said:

Found to my cost - 2 blown turbos - that relying on 18k service intervals with a (diesel) 3 series was not a good idea.  Afterwards found I should have gone for 10k intervals so maybe the Lexus service interval makes good sense 😏

10k is still way too long imo.

Well I mean, if it's a lease or on PCP and you'll be trading it in in a few years then I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want it to run longer than the warranty period I would definitely start changing the oil more frequently than that. 18k is insane.

10k service - I guess this is the main reason Lexus runs for ever as almost any other manufacture do Long Life Service i.e 18k miles!

Does LOC discount works on Service prices if anyone knows.

@Casa1862 prices were increased in March 2019, if previous 40k service would cost me (before March) a £495 now it is £535!

I have just been quoted £1345 for a fixed price Lexus service plan for the next three years.

Breakdown as follows:

image.thumb.png.b67f92e5540b2186b37905f21ba1d0d1.pngimage.thumb.png.3dd0057a18f26acbdbaa5d7303a9bc6e.pngSeems a bit steep, but what do others think?

6 minutes ago, ikeja said:

I have just been quoted £1345 for a fixed price Lexus service plan for the next three years.

Breakdown as follows:

image.thumb.png.b67f92e5540b2186b37905f21ba1d0d1.pngimage.thumb.png.3dd0057a18f26acbdbaa5d7303a9bc6e.pngSeems a bit steep, but what do others think?

If you add up the service pricing on the Lexus website it would be £1,425 without the FoC MoT so the quoted cost is cheaper than the individual sum.

On 4/18/2019 at 4:20 PM, ikeja said:

Breakdown as follows:

That's nuts, I just paid £220 for a service at the local independent.

If you look through that service list you can be pretty sure they are not going to be replacing the differential/transmission/engine coolant every 2 years - its not needed for a start. 

Main dealer servicing really is one of the biggest scams around. 

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

That's nuts, I just paid £220 for a service at the local independent.

If you look through that service list you can be pretty sure they are not going to be replacing the differential/transmission/engine coolant every 2 years - its not needed for a start. 

Main dealer servicing really is one of the biggest scams around. 

I agree, it is all done for a stamp in a book. The same time I agree that main dealership  might see more than an indy but after going over 40k service plan it is just an oil change and a LOT of checks (hell, even security of floor mats), it looks more like a memo to a mechanic more than a plan for a customer! 

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

they are not going to be replacing the differential/transmission/engine coolant every 2 years - its not needed for a start. 

certainly not, it should only be first changed at 100k miles.

Just now, ColinBarber said:

certainly not, it should only be first changed at 100k miles.

What? He's listed three things there, all of which I would change well before 100k miles if you're planning to keep the car long term.

33 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

What? He's listed three things there, all of which I would change well before 100k miles if you're planning to keep the car long term.

If you want to waste your money and pollute the environment then knock yourself out. However Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (pink coolant than is standard in every Lexus for the last 12 years) should only first be changed at 100k miles and then every 60k miles - there is a newer coolant that lasts even longer but that isn't standard yet on most Toyotas. S-LLC coolant is used for the engine cooling and the hybrid inverter.

Transmission fluid doesn't have a change interval on the IS300h. Only to be inspected every 4 years. I'd personally change it every 100k miles/10 years.

The rear diff oil is changed every 4 years.

If you have a service plan then the intervals specified by Toyota/Lexus will be followed, the fact they are written on the breakdown is a bit misleading.

33 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

If you want to waste your money and pollute the environment then knock yourself out. However Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (pink coolant than is standard in every Lexus for the last 12 years) should only first be changed at 100k miles and then every 60k miles - there is a newer coolant that lasts even longer but that isn't standard yet on most Toyotas. S-LLC coolant is used for the engine cooling and the hybrid inverter.

Transmission (with build-in differential) fluid doesn't have a change interval on the IS300h. Only to be inspected every 4 years. I'd personally change it every 100k miles/10 years.

The rear diff oil is changed every 4 years.

If you have a service plan then the intervals specified by Toyota/Lexus will be followed, the fact they are written on the breakdown is a bit misleading.

Oil changed professionally doesn't damage the environment, it's recycled into heating oil.

I don't trust manufacturer service intervals because they clearly don't have my best interests at heart. It's to their advantage to have lower on-paper maintenance costs because that's a major consideration factor when people buy cars. And they also have a huge incentive for that car *not* to last 150k miles because then they can sell you another one.

Coolant changes should be based on time not miles because the acidification of the coolant happens over time. If you really wait 100k miles to change your coolant for the first time I wish you luck but no way I'd take that risk with a car I care about. A coolant change with regular Toyota coolant cost me about £100 and will go 3 years, so at £33.33/year it's pretty cheap insurance.

Many manufacturers don't list service intervals for their transmissions and will tell you they're "sealed for life". They aren't technically lying, because when that fluid's all burnt up and the seals deteriorate that's the life of your transmission done 😉  The question is do you want that to be 120k miles or 320k miles? =P Maybe you won't keep the car that long so who cares, but I plan to drive mine for a long time.

8 hours ago, m4rkw said:

I don't trust manufacturer service intervals because they clearly don't have my best interests at heart. It's to their advantage to have lower on-paper maintenance costs because that's a major consideration factor when people buy cars. And they also have a huge incentive for that car *not* to last 150k miles because then they can sell you another one.

The question here is do you believe the main dealer is actually going to change the transmission/differential/coolant every twice on a 3 year service plan, or do you think they are essentially charging £1300 to do 3 oil changes which cost about £150 max in material costs??

The really worrying bit about the wording for the engine oil is term 'refill', which suggest at each service the dealership isn't even replacing the oil just topping it up 😱.

So who really knows what Lexus Main dealer do at service time??

I had our IS300H on a 3 year Lexus service plan that came with the car. Last year was the first time it was serviced by our local independent, this is the state of the air-filter. It looks the air filter hadn't been replaced since leaving the factory - Main dealership servicing is really is con, not just on cost but the work that is (and often isn't) done. 

47656726221_a6f8085334_b.jpg

1 minute ago, ganzoom said:

The question here is do you believe the main dealer is actually going to change the transmission/differential/coolant every twice on a 3 year service plan, or do you think they are essentially charging £1300 to do 3 oil changes which cost about £150 max in material costs??

The really worrying bit about the wording for the engine oil is term 'refill', which suggest at each service the dealership isn't even replacing the oil just topping it up 😱.

So who really knows what Lexus Main dealer do at service time??

That is not the specific service schedule for the IS 300h just a generic Lexus one. The Lexus website has the actual model specific service schedules that shows clearly when items are to be checked and changed. Whether any dealer or independent can be trusted to do what they say on paper carries the same risk but on balance I would believe a franchised dealer over an unknown independent selected at random. I have an independent garage I have used for many years for various cars (though not my Lexus at the moment) and trust them not to do any unnecessary repairs. However they do tend to the other end of the scale especially for older cars of wait for it to fail before replacing rather than replacing as a preventative step. For some of our cars that is absolutely fine though for others I would rather be more preventative. Horses for courses. 

5 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

I had our IS300H on a 3 year Lexus service plan that came with the car. Last year was the first time it was serviced by our local independent, this is the state of the air-filter. It looks the air filter hadn't been replaced since leaving the factory - Main dealership servicing is really is con, not just on cost but the work that is (and often isn't) done. 

47656726221_a6f8085334_b.jpg

Service schedule says to definitely replace at 40k miles - check more regularly and replace as necessary (but would be additional cost I assume) so yours would have been replaced next service by Lexus (4 years 40k miles). 

7 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

on balance I would believe a franchised dealer over an unknown independent selected at random. 

I wouldn't, I've had a Honda Main Dealer not seal a gear box properly after a rebuild and than fail to diagnose their own mistake for 4 months and 2 visits. A BMW Main Dealer who told me the item I wanted to buy in the official BMW parts catalogue was 'wrong' and wouldn't fit my car and that I quote 'They don't know what they are doing at BMW headquaters in Germany, our engineers know these cars better'. Even the Tesla dealer took 3 visits to agree source of an issue was what I had told them from the start. 

10 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

I wouldn't, I've had a Honda Main Dealer not seal a gear box properly after a rebuild and than fail to diagnose their own mistake for 4 months and 2 visits. A BMW Main Dealer who told me the item I wanted to buy in the official BMW parts catalogue was 'wrong' and wouldn't fit my car and that I quote 'They don't know what they are doing at BMW headquaters in Germany, our engineers know these cars better'. Even the Tesla dealer took 3 visits to agree source of an issue was what I had told them from the start. 

Don't get me wrong - I have seen similar but I have also seen my fair share of poor diagnosis, shoddy repair and lack of care leading to subsequent problems at independents too. There is no one "right" place and we have to select carefully and check thoroughly whilst finding what we each consider the right place. At one time I must have used most of the BMW franchised dealers in the South as I found them very poor. I then found a good franchised dealer and purchased four new cars through them and had all servicing done there. For a little more care, thought and customer service they made a good return from me. In fact that was one of my concerns changing to Lexus as I had good service from that BMW dealer. I have to date been happy with the Lexus dealer though.